Organic Assam

Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Vanilla, Astringent, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Sweet, Loam, Peat Moss
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat

• “Just a short note… I am glad to have this one back in stock after finding it at the Berkeley Bowl yesterday, they have a few H&S blends in tins. This morning I am drinking it with soymilk...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2699 tasting notes
  • “I’m sitting down to a breakfast consisting of this tea and, wait for it, pumpkin pancakes! Made from fresh pumpkin and loaded with spices. So tasty. This is a bold cup. It’s...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1046 tasting notes
  • “Ok so I’m up at 115 teas which is good because my number is decreasing, but the average number of oz per tea is going up. :( #whoops Essentially I have more tea then I did before. That 7 oz...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1760 tasting notes
  • “Today I must tend to my parents dog, who needs walking, and then I am going to the half off thrift store sales. Time to wake up! Goodbye, Assam. You’re pretty good. I may very well get...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1180 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Organic Assam
A rich tea with a sweet honey flavor. The 4 oz. tin has a silver metallic label.

About Harney & Sons View company

I got a bag of this as a sample with my last order and decided to make this my morning tea today. First, I snipped open the little pyramid bag and dumped the tea into my metal strainer because I just learned those bags are made of nylon and the though of dumping plastic into very hot water I would be drinking squicked me out.

I’m not as big of a fan of strong black teas as I used to be, but this is still a very nice tea. It’s definitely stronger than I’m used to these days, after switching to greens and oolongs, but it was exactly what I needed after one too many nights of staying up too late playing computer games (DARN YOU STEAM SUMMER SALE), and then being woken up too early by hungry felines.

This tea should get a few cups out of one spoonful.

I was expecting this to be quite sharp, but it’s very smooth and and a little bit sweet. I’m going to have trouble picking my default black now that it’s entered the fray!

For the St. Patty’s day free shipping deal I picked up a few sample packs I had been eyeing for awhile. I figured it was a good way to get these without conning myself into ordering more tea. This is one of the free samples that Harney and Sons threw in for me to try. This is a no fuss, good cup of Assam. Nothing fancy about it. It hits some of the usual notes, malty and a tad fruity. This cup seems to add just the right about of astringency to make you remember you are drinking a strong cup. Well done! I would be interested in trying this in loose form at some point.

Ost

Hey! I got this as my free sample in the order I placed that day! XD For once I got a good sample!

Another of the samples from Harney and Sons. Wow. I’m blown away. I’m still fairly new to tea, and this is the first time I’ve had loose, unflavored, unblended Assam. I was expecting glorified Lipton, if I’m to be quite honest. But instead I got rich burnt sugar, like molasses rich, with the slightest astringency so the taste sticks in my mouth. I may never drink my beloved twinings breakfast blends again. I love this so much.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Molasses, Vanilla

I just have a couple of samples left to try from my Harney & Sons order, and this is one of them! I’ve been becoming more and more interested in both Assam and Ceylon teas since I tried some really yummy examples. So here’s another Assam for me to sample! First off, the leaves look like they were small to begin with, and they’re also very broken. Dry scent is amazingly rich honey along with some malt. I was originally going to steep this for 3 minutes, but I went to check on it early and saw that it was quite dark already, so I took it out at 2.5 minutes instead.

The steeped tea smells malty and sweet with some raisin and a touch of honey. Wow, I’m glad I didn’t let this steep longer. It definitely has that Assam-like intensity that borders on bitterness but isn’t quite the same. The dried fruit aspect is fairly strong with this tea, which is nice. Sadly, I don’t really taste much honey, especially given how strong the dry scent was. Otherwise it’s just strong on the malt and a touch astringent. A perfectly nice Assam, but I think I would’ve appreciated it more if I hadn’t smelled the dry tea first! :P

Flavors: Astringent, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Sweet

I’m in Vegas for a few days, and it was handy that I had this tea in sachets to grab and stuff into my carry-on. I got to my first Starbucks and just ordered a $.54 cup of hot water…. And got the best drink I’ve had in a Starbucks cup ever! It actually tasted like tea leaves! Life away from home is different, so I don’t ever expect a good cup of tea… I expect reasonable. These Harney sachets are good…. Not fabulous, but good. A bit malty, a bit loamy… Just good. Good to travel with, good to rely on for a good cup of tea. I will keep these stashed in my cupboard for exactly this reason.

Flavors: Loam, Malt

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
boychik

have fun;)

Marzipan

Oo are there any fancy tea stores in Vegas?

donkeytiara

Marzipan, I didn’t see any…. But I was primarily there to help my mom get around to meet her high school girlfriend…. All I saw was a teavana, and I try to avoid the vulture/carrion feeling in that store!

1 pyramid sachet for 300mL water @100C, steeped five minutes, drunk bare.

I got this as a sample with my Harney & Sons order some months ago and just found it while tidying my tea cupboard.

A juicy Assam, but light in body: no heft, and not very much malt. I thought the liquor looked pale as it steeped, so I went five minutes, which might have been a mistake: the tea is bitter. It’s okay. It’s not an Assam I’d go out of my way to order, though.

Flavors: Malt, Peat Moss

Good, good, good. Not one of my top picks, but it has a nice flavor. It is one we go back to every now and again.