SoHo Blend

Chocolate, Coconut, Flowers, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store

• “So long SoHo! (139/212) I think I may have fallen out of love with this one. It's the coconut that does it - I don't think I care for it and even the smell of it puts me off a little. It's a...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1404 tasting notes
  • “I haven't had this in ages. My friend liked it and I gave it to her for her birthday last year. She hasn't touched it, though, because she got distracted drinking other teas and her first cup of...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “Can't get over how delicious this tea is! Shared it with the roommate tonight, and she was in love as well. I made it a touch weak in order to reserve one more cup's worth for another day, but it...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I'm happy to announce that I am part of the Lush family again! I just got back from my first day at one of the locations here. Boy, have I ever missed working there. I love coming home smelling...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

In honor of our new shop in Manhattan, we are introducing our SoHo Blend. Emeric Harney, the store manager, came up with this flavored black tea concoction. It has flavors of Chocolate and Coconut.

About Harney & Sons View company

I had a sampling of this tea before my vacation and wrote a review on it that posted while I was somewhere in the middle of the pacific ocean. When I got back, I promptly finished the remainder of my sample.

Very nice tea! Pretty dry leaf with pink amaranth petals. Steeped up, SoHo Blend smells like hot chocolate. The flavor has a great malty black tea base with a smooth chocolate flavor. There is a hint of sweet coconut and floral adding a nice sophistication to the tea. With that said, super tasty! I could be convinced to purchase more of this tea – highly recommended for a chocolately dessert tea lover! I actually like this blend more than all the other H&S teas I’ve tried so far!

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/soho-blend-from-harney/

Yvonne

Oh wow – I’d love to try this! I love Harney and Sons tea.

VariaTEA

This definitely is a delicious Harney tea. My favourite as well. Although I quite enjoy Vanilla Comoro and Boston Blend.

Awkward Soul

I got Vanilla Comoro to try next. So far I’ve had Fruits d’alasce, Bangkok, Love Life, and Tokyo and this SoHo Blend was the best by far!

VariaTEA

I actually haven’t tried any of those. I have tried some of the popular ones like Florence and Paris and I prefer SoHo to those.

Vanilla Comoro is best with milk in my opinion but it can be off if not brewed properly. In fact, I really didn’t like it when I first had it but it has grown on me since then.

Boston Blend is a nice tea for everyday because it is fruity but not over-the-top. It is a nice balanced flavor. Very different from SoHo though which is so chocolatey and sweet.

VariaTEA

If you ever want to try some, I just bought 4 oz so I think I can spare a cup or two to send your way :)

Lynxiebrat

I liked Vanilla Comoro..it tasted good with my almond milk. Though I mostly prefer my tea with just sugar or sugar substitute. Boston Blend is on my looong list of H&S teas I would love to try.

pyarkaaloo

thank you Oolong Owl! because of your review, i have now added this to my shopping list :)

Having a lovely cup of SoHo this morning to start the day. I recall this one tasting more chocolatey than it does today, so I am not sure if the cocoa is fading a bit as it ages. I am primarily enjoying creamy coconut notes with a smooth black base. I think I ate too much junk food (and had one too many craft beers) this weekend and tea is helping to soothe a mild upset tummy. Used 1.5 tsp to 8 oz water. Might need to go to something pepperminty next.

Flavors: Coconut, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

SIPDOWN! (232) Another one from cavocorax I can’t remember if i asked her to send this to me or it was a random H&S tea because i hadn’t tried it yet but hey..it’s here and i’m drinking it up! :) I didn’t really pay attention to the flavouring of the tea, just brewed it up and took my first sip. I’m happy to say that my tastebuds aren’t totally wonky because this was for sure a chocolate and coconut tea!

What i like about this is how the chocolate and coconut are really well balanced in this. Neither one is over powering the other, which is good for me because it means i can drink it and am enjoying it! I’m not overly a fan of coconut in teas but with the chocolate it’s really nice and not the least bit cloying or too sweet.

Thanks again Cavo!

Chocolate & coconut…sigh…

Cavocorax

You want some of this too, Terri? :P I have my tea spreadsheet open ATM – easy to make notes.

Terri HarpLady

Oh, BTW, the phoenix pearl from Zen tea arrived, thanks! Strangely, it doesn’t look like pearls at all! Anyway, no rush, & feel free to start suggesting things for YOUR next box, lol

Cavocorax

They don’t? They’re round aren’t they? Maybe I sent you something else? (Strange)
But I’ll add SoHo to the list. Lemme know if you want more, and I’ll eagerly eye your tasting notes too.

ah, I see, they are very small pearls. :D
I’m sure they are delicious.

Cavocorax

They were my intro to black pearls so I was blown away. But I’m certain teavivre etc have better versions.

Terri HarpLady

I don’t know if they are better, but the pearls I’m sending you are the size of small marbles!

The dry leaf smell in this has mellowed out to be a lot more pleasant than I remember. It is mostly coconut and vanilla with a lot less of the chocolate (which I believe was the part I didn’t like).

Steeped at below parameters with creamer added. Taste wise it is mostly toasted coconut with chocolate on the swallow. Perfectly palatable with additives, though not so much plain, and the fact that its bagged is always nice for convenience.

Flavors: Chocolate, Coconut, Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Well. I just learned something completely disappointing. One of my favorite hockey players, whose jersey I own while the team was here in Atlanta, got a DUI in his native Czech Republic. He had a .20% BAC level while driving a BMW M6, which kind of says, “I have a lot of money and you know, I probably have it for a cab fare.” I am so angry I can’t even think.

So I need something happy. Chocolate! I’ve been meaning to try this sample from Alphakitty and now is the time.

This is really good. I think the flower petals even add a little something to it. It has a good chocolate flavor, enhanced by the base. As usual it’s not chocolatey enough but I could probably go swim in chocolate right now and not think it wasn’t chocolatey enough. I’m loving the coconut in here too. It lingers after each sip and adds a nice creaminess to the tea without having to add any milk.

I definitely want to get a tin of this!

And now maybe my internet will stay connected so I can post this.

TeaEqualsBliss

too many hockey players (and others) get in trouble with their fast cars and money! I feel for ya…I’m a HUGE hockey fan! It’s always upsetting and disappointing to hear!

momo

Yeah..I at least figured guys who played in Atlanta would be familiar with Dany Heatley’s accident here and not drink and drive. Money does not get you logic, that’s for sure.

TeaEqualsBliss

Are you referring to Ondrej Pavelec (this time around) or another/different player?

momo

Yes, Ondrej Pavelec.

Alphakitty

Glad you liked it! This is one of my favorite dessert teas for sure.

Another sample from Incendiare. :)

I used all the leaves today, just dumped them into my steeper and guesstimated how much water would fill my mug.

This tea is good, but not as good as Florence. Also not as good as that coconut oolong DavidsTea had in the spring.

I added a bunch of sugar to this one, perhaps too much. It reminds me of a Bounty bar, but… IDK. Just something about it isn’t exactly what I hoped for when I saw “chocolate and coconut”.

I don’t think I’d buy a whole tin of this, but if they have sample packs I’ll add one to my next order – need to play with this one a bit more, as I think it’d make an excellent latte.

Courtney

A Bounty bar haha. I haven’t had one of those in ages. I wasn’t huge on this one either – the idea seemed so great though!

Fjellrev

I could always give you more of this one too since I do have a whole tin. :)

OMGsrsly

Hmm…..

I blind purchased this because I absolutely love coconut. My first 3 cups at longer steeping times (+3 mins) were all disappointments. Very bitter, no coconut – just floral and sickeningly sweet. Blerg!

But, when steeped for 3 minutes or less, I get coconut reminiscent of coconut ice, and a slight chocolate hit. Very sweet. When milk is added, the creaminess of the coconut comes out a titch more but not much. When cooled, it becomes very floral. A nice medium-light dessert tea.

I’m on the hunt for a great coconut, and while this isn’t bad, I don’t think this is it. So may not replenish this one once I’m out. We’ll see what future cups bring.

I seem to want the same comforting teas over and over and this is one of them. So delicious with coconut and chocolate, and so fragrant – I think the amaranth petals are the perfect compliment in this blend.

Thanks to SimplyJenW for sending me this sample, which was a while ago but I’m just now getting around to it. I was definitely interested in this blend when it came out because I love chocolate, and I love coconut, and I often love them together. I tried this tea once before at the NY Coffee and Tea Festival, but it was actually horribly oversteeped and bitter. Now I get to try it under better circumstances!

The dry leaf is very pretty with all the pink flower buds in the mix, and it smells very chocolatey and coconutty. When steeped, it smells like a fairly classic chocolate/coconut blend. I’ve had a couple from different companies now, and they all have that melding of the two notes in the aroma. The difference between those blends and this one is the flavor. Wow, this is delicious! I guess I might have expected it because I love Harney’s coconut in the Royal Wedding blend. Sometimes chocolate/coconut teas can actually turn my stomach a bit for some reason (no idea why), but that is definitely not the case here. The flavor is sweet and oh-so-creamy. Chocolatey, coconutty, and balanced in such a way that neither flavor is dominent. I think the black base here is just adding to the body and richness because it doesn’t really stick out from the blend. Definitely enjoy this cup way more than the oversteeped sample I had at the CTF! Thanks again Jen!

ashmanra

This one is yummy! I gave a pound to my bestie for her birthday. We just happen to drink every time we get together. :D

I am at the cottage and bought a new teapot while antiquing. I guess “new” and “antiquing” don’t really go together but you know what I mean. I would have liked to brew an oolong in it but didnt bring any and I couldn’t wait till Tuesday so .. SoHo it is.

It’s just as good as the first time. I can’t detect any difference as a result of having brewed it straight into this pot. I’m wondering if I can drink any other teas out of it rather than just one. Anyway… The point is, this is a good tea! (And somehow I haven’t rated this until today)

ETA: oh, here’s the teapot. I feel like I should name it, I’m introducing it around :)

Sounds like fun!

Ysaurella

the blend is so lovely !