Cranberry Autumn

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Had a big pot of this last night while watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. We're trying to watch all of the previous Harry Potter's before the new one comes out. It's so fun to see...” Read full tasting note
    Dragonwellluvr 558 tasting notes
  • “Yesterday, I received a lovely gift package as part of a swap and a tin of this was part of the gift. I was very happy to receive it, it is one that I haven't yet tried but have wanted to. The...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4303 tasting notes
  • “This was the final tea of tea party today! It is the last day of October, we are now officially hurled into the holiday season full force, and I want to celebrate! A long time ago I felt that...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1792 tasting notes
  • “I am really enjoying this tea. It's bold without being bitter, and the hit of cranberry and orange is just right. It's just what I needed to wake up this morning. I would definitely recommend it to...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1220 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

The tangy sweet citrus fragrance of Cranberry Autumn evokes euphoria. Dried cranberry and orange bits are blended with handpicked black teas from China and India producing a full-bodied brew as delicious as its scent. Ideally sweet and tart, this black tea expresses exceptionally smooth and flavorful tones. Fall in love with the sweet fruit aroma whilst sipping the exquisite mahogany red of Cranberry Autumn. Available loose and in sachets. The sachets are in seasonal tins.

About Harney & Sons View company

This was my official T-Day tea yesterday.
I am drinking it again this morning, since I really did not get to sit down and enjoy a tea time yesterday.
I even shared a little with the Hubby yesterday morning. (He asked me for some after sniffing my cup)
He proclaimed that it smelled like dirt and berries…not the most attractive description unless you are my farmer husband, he loves the smell of dirt.
I was not getting any notes of dirt though.
I do get oranges and cranberries though!
I think it is a very fun and festive tea.
I am enjoying it this morning with a my homemade Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls. Yum-O!
I hope all you wonderful Steepster folks had a beautiful Thanksgiving!

Nicole

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls! Yum!

Hesper June

Its the Cream Cheese Maple Frosting that seals the deal;)
Here is the link if any one is feeling up to making them:

ashmanra

Oo, I like the smell of dirt, too! Wen I was a child, my father would take me to visit his parents on the farm where he grew up. “Freshly plowed field” is a rich and comforting smell.

This is one of the samples I got today from TeaEqualsBliss, thanks so much to her. I LOVE cranberries and I’ve had good luck with Harney’s flavored teas so far so I was excited about this one. It’s very good. The black tea is smooth and the flavors are light, but they’re strong enough to let you know they’re there while remaining natural tasting. The cranberry is stronger than the orange, and there’s definitely some cranberry tartness (which is why I love cranberries so). Good stuff, now I gotta try Boston. Thanks, TeaEqualsBliss!

ashmanra

Love this one, LOVE Boston!

Tea of the afternoon…..

I have had this sample since last Winter. I figured I had better try it now that it is the prime season for this tea. I like the balance of the cranberry with the hint of orange and the black tea base. I am guessing that Harney’s African Autumn is the rooibos counterpart to this tea. The black version is definitely much more appealing to me than the rooibos. I guess that should not be a surprise as I prefer black tea in general.

Edit to add: After drinking the whole pot, I am not so sure on this. The first few cups were good, but by the end of the pot I am not liking it as well. It is reminiscent of hibiscus even though it is possible there is not any in there. In thinking about it, cranberry and orange flavoring could be kind of like the tartness I do get from hibiscus….. Final verdict…not for me.

(from the website) Ingredients: Black tea, cranberries, orange peel, natural orange oil, and artificial cranberry flavor.
No hibiscus. I am guessing I just don’t do well with this flavor combo……

Steeped the usual way….

aisling of tea

You are guessing wrong :P. African Autumn is like Celestial Seasoning’s Red Zinger. Hibiscus galore!

SimplyJenW

It was definitely a cranberry/orange, though. It was one of my whole pound purchase regrets (of which there have been 4, ACK!)….. I rehomed most of it.

SimplyJenW

aisling…Didn’t I even send some to you? :)

ashmanra

I love Cranberry Autumn and Boston. Almost out of Boston and I mustn’t let that happen! Have you had Boston?

SimplyJenW

ashmanra…I did have Boston last Fall. I did like it, but have been out for a while. I must not have been compelled to rebuy.
And I just had to edit my post on this one. It tastes too much like the African Autumn that I really did not like much after the first few cups. Just like the African Autumn…this tastes good after the first cup or two, but it goes downhill from there for me.

aisling of tea

lol yup. I’ve had a whole one cup.

ashmanra

LOL! I gave away my tin of African Autumn and told the recipient that if she didn’t like it she could regifting it or throw it away – I didn’t care! Rooibos = Robitussin.

Had another cup of this with my mom this morning… stopped at her house after going to the grocery store (realized we were out of dog food for the furry kids!)

I was able to try this because LiberTEAs is so awesome! Thanks girl!

This was more smooth than I thought it would be and I think that is a plus! I could taste the cranberry – not very bitter cranberry, I might add, and a bit of citrus, too. 3

When I first smelled this right out of the package I thought I could smell grape in addition to Crans and Citrus.

I ended up liking this just fine and dandy! It’s yummy hot or cold!

I did not expect to fall in love with this tea like I have.

Again, my thanks goes to LiberTEAS for sending me a sample of this. I’ve never really considered a cranberry tea before, but after this, I have certainly changed my mind. I brewed a pot of it for my friends and myself the other night and was a little shocked at how good this is. It’s not overwhelmingly sour like I expected. The cranberry flavor is very up-front, and translates very well into the tea. Paired with the flavor of the black tea, it works out so beautifully.

I might have to explore Harney & Sons as a tea supplier soon! This tea is going on my Shopping List right now.

The perfect accompaniment to our apple-themed potluck/tea party!

My last Harney & Sons sample, courtesy of Courtney. Dry, this has a very faint scent, maybe vaguely fruity but mostly black tea. It reminds me a bit of Adagio’s Cranberry, from their Holiday Cheer set, in that respect.

Brewed, this smells much more strongly of cranberry — it’s definitely cranberry that’s detectable now, rather than just “red fruit”. There’s also a pretty strong influence from the black tea base — it’s kind of sweet smelling and slightly malty, and it contrasts nicely with the tart, almost bittersweet cranberries.

In terms of taste, I feel much the same way as I do about the scent. It’s softer than I expected it to be, with the tart cranberry taking centre stage and the mellow, sweet base still a big part of the flavour, but in a purely complementary way. I think I expected this to taste bitter (maybe a memory from the Adagio!), so I’m pleasantly surprised that it’s not. This is a tea no doubt better suited to a brisk autumnal day, but it’s certainly been a pleasing cup tonight anyway. Thanks again to Courtney for sharing this with me!

Cranberry and orange are definitely not my favorite flavors on this planet, especially not when put together, so this is something I wouldn’t look for normally. Chris_s gave me a large sample of this, so I got a chance to try it.

It smells like candy in the bag. Once brewed, it has a nice non-astringent black base and I can taste a light orange flavor in the background. The cranberry is more like a craisin (sweetened cranberry) and there is something both candy-like and lightly floral that I cannot put my finger on. And, I agree with TeaEqualsBliss that there is also a grape flavor to this. I kind of like it, but its not really my thing. If you like cranberries and orange and candy, then you will probably love this.

Lisbet

I had a cranberry orange cupcake yesterday. It was actually delicious. As a tea I’m intrigued…. wouldn’t order it myself, but curious nonetheless.

Kristin

I’m planning on sending some of this to you. Chris gave me enough to share and said he didn’t mind if I sent the rest to you.

Lisbet

Woohoo!

I’ve been enjoying my Shui Teas so much that I haven’t had anything new to log for a while. I was feeling a little disconnected from Steepster so, in honor of Fall (even though it’s still 106 degrees here) I thought I’d give this one a try.

This tea (in silken sachets) has a bright fruity fragrance that deepens to an almost bitter citrus. This is true before and after brewing.

Once brewed, you’re left with a garnet colored tea. The taste is mildly flavored. From the fragrance, I expected a high level of bitterness or tartness but there’s just a subtle pucker after a slight fruit flavor. I would prefer that the tea base be presented a bit stronger, but overall this wasn’t bad.