Ginger & Liquorice

Herbal Tea
Ginger, Licorice Root
Ginger, Licorice
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 7 min, 45 sec 8 g 27 oz / 798 ml

• “I just drank a large glass of this infusion cold. I had refrigerated the third (fourth?) infusion of this blend in a clamp-stoppered bottle the last time I drank it hot, and I am only now getting...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 1081 tasting notes
  • “Tisane of the evening...... I got this in a recent order, and it is really helping with the cold. The ginger is the main note with a touch of sweetness from the liqorice root. The ginger is...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “Wow. Just opening the bag is a punch in the face of ginger smell. I was a little scared to try this at first, because the ginger chunks are *huge*. I love ginger flavor but I'm kind of a wimp when...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 422 tasting notes
  • “I love strong, sweetened ginger flavors (like ginger candies, and practically the only carbonated beverage I drink is ginger beer--and then the stronger the ginger and the less citrus, the better!)...” Read full tasting note
    Amani 18 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

This is a new herbal blend requested by Mike Harney’s wife Brigitte. It is simple, spicy and slightly sweet. Hmm, it sounds like someone we know!

About Harney & Sons View company

I just drank a large glass of this infusion cold. I had refrigerated the third (fourth?) infusion of this blend in a clamp-stoppered bottle the last time I drank it hot, and I am only now getting around to trying it.

Happily, Ginger & Liquorice makes a very tasty ginger-beer-like beverage. Except that there is no sugar or carbonation. But it definitely compares favorably to a ginger beer experience because the flavor is very similar—and isn’t that what really matters?

Tisane of the evening……

I got this in a recent order, and it is really helping with the cold. The ginger is the main note with a touch of sweetness from the liqorice root. The ginger is really helping me breathe a little better. I am wondering how a little spearmint or holy basil would taste with this. All in all I am glad to have this in the cupboard.

Usual teapot method, 8 minutes, no additions.

Boiling 8 min or more
Cheryl

Feel better!

Wow. Just opening the bag is a punch in the face of ginger smell. I was a little scared to try this at first, because the ginger chunks are huge. I love ginger flavor but I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to spicy ginger tastes. I’m also not a liquorice fan. This was one of the blends I got for my mother and I couldn’t let it go without trying it at least once.

It brews up a light, lemony yellow, and smells strongly herbal. Actually, the dry mix smells more like fresh ginger and the brewed tea smells more like dried ginger! I didn’t expect that. As for how it tastes: in a word, surprising. It’s a pure ginger flavor, but not sharp or overly spicy at all. There’s no liquorice favor for me, just a slight sweetness. I’ve been a little stuffy today and this is the perfect treatment for it.

I love strong, sweetened ginger flavors (like ginger candies, and practically the only carbonated beverage I drink is ginger beer—and then the stronger the ginger and the less citrus, the better!) and I also enjoy licorice/anise teas. So I thought this one would be a good one to try and threw in a sample order with my latest Harney order.

When I opened the bag and took a whif, my nose tingled and I coughed (as good strong ginger will make you do!). I agree that the steeped tea has a medicinal smell, but then I tasted it…

How lovely! It really is a perfect blend of both! And the great thing about the licorice is that I don’t even have to sweeten the tea (and I almost always put honey in my tea!). This tisane is…fantastic. At least if you love these two flavors as much as I do. I wondered how they would work together, without any other base—and now I know: awesomely.

I found it very similar to Yogi’s Ginger tea, which has ginger and licorice along with lemongrass, peppermint, and black pepper. The quality and simplicity of Harney’s tisane sets it apart though :)

Wish I had bought more!

This tea was one of the teas being sampled at their Millerton location a couple weeks ago, which was my first time going to a tea establishment besides Teavana. The smell of this really put me off. It was medicinal, but not in a chemical sort of way, but an earthy, herbal way. The taste of this though, is very pleasant. At first it is warm, almost spicy, from the ginger, and as you swallow, you get the smooth licorice aftertaste. All of the teas they sample are unsweetened, so if I were to have this with a little bit of agave or honey, I would probably like this much more. I am planning on getting some, as winter is coming and I like something soothing for when I inevitably get sick. This was made in house, so I cannot comment on the steeping time or temperature.