RMS Titanic Tea Blend

Black Oolong Blend
Assam Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Keemun Black Tea, Oolong Tea
Leather
Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by mogoo

• “Tea of the afternoon...... Yes, I know. All the complaining about the amount of tea I own and here is a new one. I had a friend who needed a pound of tea, and I have had my eye on this one ever...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “This is my first tea review. I am a huge fan of Harney & Sons tea,so I was excited to try the RMS Titanic Tea. I bought the 20 ct. tea tin of sachets. 5% of the sale goes to the Ocean...” Read full tasting note
    diyprincess925 21 tasting notes
  • “I'm reading a book right now called "The Dressmaker" that is about the Titanic sinking and what happened afterwards. The book is pretty interesting and since I had a sample of this in my cupboard...” Read full tasting note
    JosieJade 358 tasting notes
  • “Tried this this morning before a beautiful fall day full of cheap greasy spoon breakfast, taking the abandoned cat to the vet (and thus discovering she is in fact a she, and might actually do ok...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

The tea company has certainly grown since 1983, and we’ve become involved in so many wonderful projects. PH Nargeolet, one of the divers with the French exploratory group at Woods Hole in Massachusetts when the Titanic was found, encouraged John to do a commemorative tea to honor the 100th Anniversary of those who perished when the Titanic sank. As a tribute to the tragedy and heroism of “A Night to Remember”, John has created a tea blend which reflects the quality of tea that was served on the Titanic.
There is Chinese Keemun, one of the last teas British still consumed in 1912. The British had mostly switched to black teas from Assam, India and Ceylon. Also there is Formosa Oolong, which was popularized in both the UK and the US by an enterprising Brit. So this blend would have been recognizable to tea lovers a hundred years ago.

A portion of the sales of our RMS Titanic Tea will go to The Ocean Conservancy, the dedicated organization committed to preserving one of the Earth’s most valuable resources, our Oceans. We hope you will enjoy this tea, and “Remember".

About Harney & Sons View company

Tea of the afternoon……

Yes, I know. All the complaining about the amount of tea I own and here is a new one. I had a friend who needed a pound of tea, and I have had my eye on this one ever since Harney announced it. So, we ordered together. This was all I ordered.

The whole Titanic story has a place in my heart because my Grandmother was born on that night. I can remember her talking about it, and how she felt like she had some kind of connection to that tragic night. I did not even realize she would have been 100 this year had she still been alive. When I saw this tea announced, I knew I would be buying some. It kind of represents a moment in time of beginnings for our family amidst the tragedy for others.

My tin of tea says it is a blend of Keemun, Assam, Ceylon, and Oolong. I think the description is kind of vague regarding the middle two teas in that list. Maybe I read it wrong. Anyway, it is good, smooth, and rich tasting. It makes a very well rounded cup of tea. No real earthiness, or maltiness, maybe a hint of cocoa, just very rich. There is not a break in the flavor from the front of the taste to the end. You know how there are some things that are almost all aftertaste (I kind of feel that licorice root is all sweet aftertaste) and others are all in the front notes (I have had some Keemuns like that). This one is good all the way through. I will definitely enjoy this tin of sachets.

ashmanra

Gee, thanks! I had been resisting up to now…

teawing

yep, me too, now I must order, I simply must.

TeaBrat

It does sound good!

CHAroma

What an interesting combination of teas!

teawing

I also applaud your SRP, recognition of a problem is the first step to resolution… :)
I just noticed your updated profile.

This is my first tea review. I am a huge fan of Harney & Sons tea,so I was excited to try the RMS Titanic Tea. I bought the 20 ct. tea tin of sachets. 5% of the sale goes to the Ocean Observancy,which is great.
I brewed the to boiling temperature. I personally have a preference to black teas.
This tea is a blend of Keemun, Assam, Ceylon and Oolong. I steeped the tea for a few minutes. While I was drinking this tea, it had a nice, full rich taste. Eventhough it has a rich taste to it, it has a bit of sweetness to it, so it’s not bitter. I enjoyed my cup of tea from the beginning to the end. The taste was consistent,which I love. I would recommend this tea .

Azzrian

Congrats on your first review! :)

Erika M.

Thank you! I’ve been kind of nervous to post a review so it feels good to finally do it. :)

Bonnie

Keep it up! It’s a journey as they say and not a race! Tea will teach you. We’re all here to help also!

Erika M.

Thanks Bonnie! Some of the reviews that I’ve read have been very helpful in choosing which teas to try next and I hope that I can be helpful to others in the future. I really love this website! I’ve learned a lot from the forums. :)

I’m reading a book right now called “The Dressmaker” that is about the Titanic sinking and what happened afterwards. The book is pretty interesting and since I had a sample of this in my cupboard I figured this would be a perfect tea to start the day with. The tea smells deliciously matly with just a hint of sweetness, like a citrusy sweetness. The flavor is robust, but not overly done. There is an almost bitter finish, but it’s actually a nice little kick at the end. I added some milk and sweetener and it became a smooth, sweet cup of tea. This isn’t the strongest black tea blend, but it’s nice and light. I think it’s also a little more sweet than your average black tea blend. This apparently has some oolong in it too, so maybe that’s what is balancing everything out. I kind of like it as a breakfast tea during the summer, it’s not too heavy when the weather is super hot. It’s kind of fun to see what type of tea they were drinking back in the days of the Titanic. I’m glad that reading the book made me remember about this little sample sitting in the back of my cupboard!

-Dry blend has medium black and brown tea leaves and twigs.
-Dry leaves smell malty and slightly sweet. Tea liquor aroma is of malty black tea with a hint of sweet citrus.
-Tea liquor is a clear dark reddish brown color.
-Robust flavor with an almost bitter finish.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Very good tea. A lightly robust black tea. Perfect for the summer.

ashmanra

Did you know this is just their Palm Court loose leaf tea put into bags? I was quite happy to find out, because I want loose leaf but I needed to buy tea s a gift for someone who only does bags and I thought this was a great choice for his tastes. It is super yummy mixed with Rose Scented from H&S.

Josie Jade

That’s odd! The tea that I have is actually a loose sample. When I ordered it from the website, it said that it had been created to honor the anniversary of the Titanic! If it is the same, I’m glad that I got to try the Palm Court blend at least! I liked it, very light and a good afternoon tea. Can you believe that I haven’t tried the Rose Scented yet? I have a gift certificate that I need to use to Harney’s and that one is at the top of my list! :)

ashmanra

I need to order more Rose Scented and I want some of the AliSan Oolong! I tried a sample and loved it but I have been trying to reduce my cupboard first! When SimplyJen ordered her first tin of Titanic, it said on the packing slip that it was Palm Court. We checked the teas listed as being in the blend and they are the same. PC doesn’t come in sachets, Titanic doesn’t come loose, so it was a win/win in a way!

Tried this this morning before a beautiful fall day full of cheap greasy spoon breakfast, taking the abandoned cat to the vet (and thus discovering she is in fact a she, and might actually do ok outside provided we feed her and she uses the shelter I made over the weekend in times of extreme cold…she has a follow-up visit in 2 weeks because she needs to be under sedation for the vet to get a better look and run more extensive tests), my husband going to his doctor appointment and picking up his friend/bandmate from the auto repair shop, and kicking off the week of Italian classics making my grandmother’s Sunday gravy, braised pork with peppers, and marinating the beef for Tyrolean pot roast tomorrow. Going to take a bath now and relax. It was a rollercoaster of a weekend but it ended on a note of hope (and feeling like I’ve done all I can for her) and a bit of progress. My husband was awesome yesterday—I cried on and off all day to the point my eyes had that gross sticky swollen shut feel to them where your vision is fuzzy, and he did everything he could to make me feel better. Having someone love you and care for you that much is priceless; I need to appreciate it more (and return the favor, of course).

Wow, my tealog sure has been about not-tea stuff lately. Sorry guys. Anyway, this was good, strong and smooth and noticeably different from the other Harney blends I’ve sampled so far, but I really do love Queen Catherine so much I admit it’s hard to give this one full attention/respect. I did enjoy it though.

One of my favorite black teas is Keemun and this tea blend does not disappoint. A blend of Chinese Keemun, Formosa Oolong, with some Assam, Indian and Ceylon tea mixed in, this tea is smooth with a hint of sweetness.Its simply a good all around drinking black tea which I could enjoy anytime. It may become one of my staples. There are slight hints of malt, citrus and peachness but none of those predominate.It is medium to almost full bodied with a pleasant tea aroma. It reminds me a bit of the tea from the A&P (the “tea” store as my Grandmother used to say) back when I was a child. Maybe that is just my imagination, but the smoothness of taste with no bitterness does remind me of my 1950’s childhood tea. Definitely I like. Nothing exotic here, just good basic tea that I find very pleasurable. As a person who always sweetens tea, usually with splenda, as I am prediabetic, I find that this is one tea where I can use less sweetener as it is not astringent on its own. Its my goal to wean myself off sweeteners. Maybe this is a good start.

Ughhhhhhhh
Another Leather tea!!! >< Not a fan at all. :(

Flavors: Leather

darby

Thanks for the sample Marzipan

Well, this isn’t offensive in any way, but it is pretty flat and boring compared to all the delicious Yunnan Sourcing and Butiki black teas I’ve been drinking lately! I’m pretty spoiled ;)

boychik

Tin is pretty though

I admit, I was influenced a little bit by the cute tin, so it was a little disappointing to find that it’s a black tin with a Titanic sticker on it. Oh well. It’s a black tea blend and those are always welcome here!

For the past few nights I have picked this up, realized it had caffeine and put it back, vowing to remember to drink it the next morning. Today I actually remembered.

The tin recommends a 5 minute steep, and since it’s a bag I did that. My initial impression was that it tasted sort of thin and one note. But as it cooled a little, it tasted more full and robust. I liked it. Next time I might try it with a bit of milk and see what that does.

It’s nice to have some decent bags around for portability.

Wanted a rich flavorful black tea this morning and this seems to be my go-to for that category currently. I was not at all disappointed. I think I tasted a bit of the citrus others have talked about, this time. I think I might go for a second steep on this one today… stay tuned.

Edit: Second steep was pleasant, but didn’t have nearly the punch of the first. Definitely not as complex tasting on the second steep.