Kaimosi CTC

Edit tea info Last updated by Ryan Burress

From Harney & Sons

Located between Lake Victoria and the Great Rift Valley in Kenya, the Kaimosi estate is known for a tradition of great tea. While there, Emeric Harney had to bring back this tea. The tea brews dark and red like the CTC’s of Assam, but since it’s given three times as much time to oxidize, it has less of a bite to it.

About Harney & Sons View company

So… I really need to look through my reviews before buying tea on impulse. I added this on to some order in the past to make the free shipping level. Just now getting around to opening the tin. Yeah… a whole tin. I can see cold steeping for the whole summer with just this tin to use it up. :)

Anyway, it’s still an fine tea-tea. I still don’t get any special notes from it. I had some without to taste it on it’s own. Then I indulged and used some cream leftover from the last tea party and dumped about a tablespoon into a For Life mug amount of it. It’s really good with cream. Or, I suppose you could say that the cream is really good and adding this tea gives it depth. :)

The aroma is light and vegetal. The flavor is earthy and smooth, a bit dry but not too much. I’m not overly impressed but I can’t say anything particularly negative about it either. It takes milk and sugar well. Overall I think this is a good basic cup of tea.

What an odd-looking tea! It’s the first time I come across a CTC. Well, I’ve probably drank many CTC before without knowing since it’s apparently common for supermarkets tea bags to be CTC. Oooohh mamma mía, this is strong! Maybe I used too much tea or steeped it for too long. The strenght is not only felt with my tastebuds but on my whole body. After drinking half of my cup, my hands were shaking and my heart was pounding. I’ll have to be careful next time.

Definitely don’t steep the CTCs as long. On the plus side they resteep really well.

CTC’s are best on those mornings when it would just be better to take your tea intravenously, so I’m glad this little packet from Nicole was in plain sight. (Two sessions in the garage storm shelter, one at 3:00 a.m.)

I’d call this the Kenyan version of PG Tips—very strong with a little bit of sharpness in the sip, but not enough to call it metallic. Had I not gulped down the mug like a tea-starved maniac, I would have tried it with milk. Good stuff for unleaded lovers.