Green Tea with Thai Flavors

Coconut, Ginger, Green Tea, Lemongrass, Vanilla Flavour
Cream, Vanilla, Coconut
Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Soooo glad I purchased this tea. It is everything I had hoped for. I love the blend of ginger and vanilla with a light note of coconut. Now I really want some Thai coconut curry noodle soup. ...” Read full tasting note
    EmiCreech 204 tasting notes
  • “I received this in a swap I originally started brewing this to make it iced, so I used 4 bags, then I discovered I had no ice.... boo So I ended up with 4 bags steeped in about 8 oz of water,...” Read full tasting note
    tattooed_tea 290 tasting notes
  • “I was craving coconut for some reason, so I decided to do an informal comparison between the two teas in my cupboard with a notable coconut presence: Harney & Sons Green Tea with Thai Flavors and...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 506 tasting notes
  • “I typically love Harney & Sons, so I was excited to pick this up on sale. I don't taste the same things others seem to, though. To me it just tastes creamy and grassy, and not in a way I find...” Read full tasting note
    Kaylee 312 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our Green Tea with Coconut and Ginger is an exotic combination of green teas, coconut, ginger, vanilla and lemongrass which make a delicious and distinctive tea blend that is both smooth and spicy. Brewing Instructions: Steep in less than boiling water for 3 minutes.

About Harney & Sons View company

Soooo glad I purchased this tea. It is everything I had hoped for. I love the blend of ginger and vanilla with a light note of coconut. Now I really want some Thai coconut curry noodle soup. Too bad I don’t have any curry paste or coconut milk right now. Time to go grocery shopping.

Kittenna

“Green Tea with Thai Flavors”? What a name!! Hahahahaha :)

gmathis

Is the soup recipe online somewhere?

ashmanra

Is this the tea that is sold under the name Bangkok as a loose tea? I think it is.

Alphakitty

Yeah, this is the same tea as Bangkok. They used to sell it bagged under that name too (I have a pile of empty tins!) but for mass market appeal they changed it.

Em

gmathis, here’s the recipe: http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/thai-coconut-curry-soup/. It is so delicious. I leave off the fish sauce and lemongrass.

Good to know that Bangkok is the same. I figured it was.

gmathis

Thanks. That looks easy enough for me to handle!

Nicole

Ooo… that soup must be tried.

I received this in a swap

I originally started brewing this to make it iced, so I used 4 bags, then I discovered I had no ice…. boo

So I ended up with 4 bags steeped in about 8 oz of water, with an additional 8oz of water added to my travel mug.
You can tell it’s over leafed, but it’s still really tasty.
It’s light, creamy, citrusy & a touch of spice (very minimal).
Next time I’m sure 2 bags will suffice in my 16oz mug.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

hmmmm… I have a couple of these left over. I should cold-steep them! Thanks for the idea!

I was craving coconut for some reason, so I decided to do an informal comparison between the two teas in my cupboard with a notable coconut presence: Harney & Sons Green Tea with Thai Flavors and Tea Forte Lychee Coconut. This is not exactly a steep-off, because it’s not really fair to compare a green tea to a white tea, but my goal was to determine which of these teas does a better job at slating a thirst for coconut. The answer?

Hands down, it was the Harney & Sons. I could not stop drinking it—so delicious! I love the green tea base that they use (bancha), so with coconut thrown in, along some other enticing flavors—a smidgeon of lemongrass and vanilla—this just becomes irresistible. Major yum festival!

second infusion: also very good. The sachets are packed with expansive leaves—they almost seem spongelike!

Flavors: Coconut

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 45 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I typically love Harney & Sons, so I was excited to pick this up on sale. I don’t taste the same things others seem to, though. To me it just tastes creamy and grassy, and not in a way I find especially appealing. The lemongrass is overwhelming and I can’t taste the ginger at all. I want to love it, but even after multiple tries over several days I find this tea disappointing. I would not buy it again.

I used 1 bag in 16 ounces of near boiling water, steeped for about 5 minutes.

Bonnie

Usually the amount of water per serving would be 8oz by American standards. Green tea often is better a little under boiling…so if you were to try again, less heat and less water might produce a better tasting tea. ( not 5 min.) . Take a look at getting on the free tea program from Teavivre that most of us have enjoyed. GO to the website and I think it’s on the right hand side.(free tea for reviewing).

Kaylee

Thanks for the advice!

Picked this up at the Tea Festival in LA last weekend! I love this flavor, fell in love at first sip! Reminds me of the tom kah soup I love at Thai restaurants, except no fish chunks! And the vanilla smoothes it all out. :-)

ashmanra

They sell this loose leaf under the name “Bangkok.”

Peggie Bennett

Really? Ooh, I will have to put that on my shopping list, thanks! My co-workers come into my office just to open the tin and inhale it! :-D

If only this tea tasted as good as it smells in the tin!!

I first discovered Harney & Son’s Green Tea several years ago. I thought it was one of my all time favorite teas. I went through 5 tins, sharing enthusiastically with friends and loved ones, before I realized…I don’t actually love this tea.

When you first open the pretty pink tin, it smells divine, like exotic flowers, fresh vanilla beans, and tropical fruit and coconut.

Unfortunately, no matter what volume or temperature of water I use, or the steeping time allowed, it never tastes half as good as it smells. At best, I end up with a cup of fairly bland green tea with flavors of grass from the lemongrass. I imagine I can barely taste the coconut, vanilla, and ginger, but I think I might be fooling myself.

A second or third brewing often brings out the subtlety and flavor of high quality green tea, but with this one it comes out even more bland after a second steeping.

My primary complaint is that the tea just doesn’t taste as good as it smells. The other problem is that it’s not cheap. Unfortunately, the only way to purchase this tea is in a fancy pink tin with 20 little silk sachets inside. If H&SFT would sell this tea as loose leaf, I would still likely buy it, just because this tea smells so amazing.

Unfortunately, the amount of tea you get for the price, combined with the flavor not meeting the expectations created by the scent, made me realize that I don’t love this tea as much I as I thought I did.

Callipygian

Thanks so much for the likes! I posted this review on Amazon last year and got 0/3 helpful votes. The philistines of Amazon love this tea and hate me for not loving it. I’m glad to have found my fellow tea snobs.

Probably exactly what I was expecting even though I was secretly hoping for more. It is what it says it is: Green tea with Thai flavors. It looked and smelled lovely. Upon the first sip it was very creamy but mild. As I continued and the creaminess faded, it got rather boring. No vanilla. No ginger. Lots of lemongrass and a hint of coconut. The name led me to expect it to be almost savory, and yes… I feel like if I just add a little salt, some veggies, and a few leaves of Thai basil it would work as soup! But in an effort to pull some more coconut and vanilla flavor I went the other way and added agave. Nope, a waste of agave. I will drink this again, but next time I will try it iced and I will brew it a little stronger to see what other flavor comes through.

This tea is just ok. I would like a little more coconut and ginger, but a little less lemongrass. The lemongrass is really overpowering. I get just a hint of the vanilla.

Light and refreshing. Great Stuff.

Like the citron they offer I enjoyed this immensely. Perhaps it is because I got used to it on a needed vacation? There is a creamy taste (when plain of course) which isn’t overbearing…good for a hot day. Or cold morning. Really anytime.

Flavors: Cream, Vanilla