Amba Ceylon

Edit tea info Last updated by Ed Fladung

• “I've been drinking this tea for a month or so and for a few days have been having it as my morning tea. It has that briskness of a Ceylon, but not too much. It makes a nice brown liquor and is very...” Read full tasting note
    Ed_Fladung 36 tasting notes
  • “Delightful Ceylon tea from Harney. It is a light whole leaf tea with dried camellia flowers and when opening the bag for the first time, I was hooked on the lovely scent. It can get too strong...” Read full tasting note
    Schnarpsel 2 tasting notes
  • “I really enjoyed this tea! The use of tea flowers is such an innovative idea, and it wasn't too perfumed. I also enjoyed the use of a Ceylon tea. I tasted notes of wintergreen and other things. ...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 147 tasting notes
  • “I just bought this from Harney in Sample format. The tea includes not only petals but all parts of the flower making it quite rustic in appearance and unique. I am a big tea drinker, and was a...” Read full tasting note
    Rasputkid 5 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

We came across this little gem late last year. It is from a group of Sri Lankan women that work with a former British aid worker to make very interesting hand made teas. So, this is sort of “direct aid”.

What struck us as interesting about this tea is the use of dried tea flowers as part of the final product: a rarity in the tea world. The big tea leaves make for a light and slightly sweet brew. Also there are floral notes from the tea flowers. It is a pleasure to drink this tea, and to know that we are helping a tiny tea farm and its 6 women.

Origin: Sri Lanka

Briskness 2 Body 2 Aroma 2

About Harney & Sons View company

I’ve been drinking this tea for a month or so and for a few days have been having it as my morning tea. It has that briskness of a Ceylon, but not too much. It makes a nice brown liquor and is very soft on the palate. It is a very coarse tea, meaning that the leaves are whole leaves not broken bits. It also has some of the camelia flowers in with the tea. All in all I have been really enjoying this tea, stronger than my usual Darjeeling but really nice in the drinking and nice in the finish.

I’ve been playing around with the water temperature and lower temperatures don’t do it justice. I let the kettle stop boiling for a minute but hardly longer than that. 5 minute steep time.

It can get too strong when using too much, so with this one I make sure to measure level teaspoon amounts. But taking care with the measuring and steep time results in a balanced, slightly sweet cup which I love to enjoy in the afternoon.

I like to brew this one in the afternoon, letting it steep for 3 minutes.

I really enjoyed this tea! The use of tea flowers is such an innovative idea, and it wasn’t too perfumed. I also enjoyed the use of a Ceylon tea. I tasted notes of wintergreen and other things. Maybe Amba is high-grown? Delicious!

I just bought this from Harney in Sample format. The tea includes not only petals but all parts of the flower making it quite rustic in appearance and unique. I am a big tea drinker, and was a bit surprised to find that I found this tea to have the reminiscence of wet dog. It is a nice robust ceylon, but certainly not one I would drink daily. Since this just a sample size, I am not sure if this was just due to the specific cup I brewed (e.g. a wierd part of a flower maybe got in) but I wouldn’t recommend.