Lapsang Souchong

Campfire, Smoke, Tobacco, Whiskey, Pine, Smoked, Wood
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Bucky

• “I’ve had so many lapsangs lately but I thought I would give this one a whirl too, to see how it stands up to the competition! The aroma is very smoky – woo! This tea certainly packs a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2795 tasting notes
  • “My cup has been cautiously sniffed. Lots of nose-wrinkling and backing away followed. I can therefore conclude that cats don’t like LS. Good thing I’m not a cat, then. slurpRead full tasting note
    Angrboda 1323 tasting notes
  • “It has been a while since I had this in my teapot. I’ve certainly missed it. I love how bold this tea is. It is the perfect wake up tea when you know you are going to have a long day at work.” Read full tasting note
    Doodleology 108 tasting notes
  • “I didn’t actually drink this, but I’m logging it anyway. Harney & Sons (the store) really went above and beyond the point of generosity. Emeric sent me some teas they...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

An ancient and much loved tea from China. Large leaves are dried over smoky pine fires. As you might imagine, the tea develops a distinctive smoky flavor. Give it a try when you want a change of pace.

About Harney & Sons View company

I bought this to mix with Keemun, but it is excellent all by itself. Its very smoky but not overpowering like the twinings tea bags. I added 1/4 tsp of splenda and its a very comforting tea on a very cold day here in Maine. I love smoky tea and would not recommend this tea to anyway who is not so inclined.

This is one of those teas that I’m not sure if I want to try or not… I tend to like smoky teas, but never had Lapsang Souchong, and lots of my friends kinda scared me on the extreme smokiness of this tea. One of these days I’ll get a chance, I guess.

I like this tea straight and I find it smoky and very tasty. Find yourself a nice Keemun tea and start mixing. A little a first and add gradually until you get the taste you want.

brewed a big strong cup and used it to poach salmon. Came out moist, juicy, and slightly smoky. Hooray for Lapsang Souchong, which I just can’t drink, but do enjoy cooking with.

Yum! Would be good to marinade w/ as well. What, if any, seasonings did you use?

just salt & pepper – decided to keep it simple. I think poaching is my new fave cooking method (I’d never really tired it before!)

That sounds wonderful. I’ll have to give that a try.

Great suggestion. I’ll try that. Well, first I’ll have to get some Lapsang Souchong…

Stesha McCue

Oh, wow. What a wonderful idea. I don’t like the tea itself, and I’ve been wondering what to do with it. I have a salmon in the freezer!

Brew temp 208

I HATE the heat.

Although I love hot sauces and spicy food, hot weather and I do not get along. Cold Miser? I’m more hard-core than him-I’d be happy to never have a day above freezing.

Anyhow, living in the States usually guarantees hot summers and for some reason I love Lapsang in the summer. When it gets really hot (like today) I can be sure to sit outside and drink a cup or two. It’s like I’m saying to the heat “Bring it on!”

This is a good solid Lapsang. Campfire smoky. Not tarry. If you absolutely must be so overwhelmed with smoke as to require a respirator, this is probably too mild for you-it’s more of a middle-of-the-road smoky.

Right now, I’m starting to think Lapsangs are like local Chinese take-out/away restaurants in the States. Sure, the restaurant/tea company name is different wherever you go, but the menus/flavors are all pretty much the same. Maybe some minor variations, but not enough to be noteworthy. It’s reliable, inexpensive, and predictable. Now, sometimes predictable is a good thing-very reassuring. However, I’m hoping to find something that keeps the essence of Lapsang but is a little more unique in its flavor. I really like Lapsang, so I don’t mind trying different ones in hopes of finding something distinctive. Only bought an ounce of this, so I’ll try something new soon.

Made a nice Thai-style soup for lunch with my sweetie; dropped an infuser with a pinch of this into the broth and it was simply amazing! Really enhanced the smokiness found in most Thai soy sauces.

It’s been cold and rainy for the last two days…making Lapsang the perfect compliment to the weather.