Indian Spice

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I made this by the hot latte instructions they include in the tin. I added Turbinado sugar instead of the six cubes of Demerara. YUMMY! I know this isn't pumpkin flavored, but the spices in this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1796 tasting notes
  • “More tea in the afternoon..... I have several wrapped bags of this in my stash, so I guess this is a test to see if it will be added to the bagged tea for traveling or edited. I have really only...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 970 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *fiddling*! I made a cup of this today to help kick start my day. After yesterday's cleaning and running around, we're just hitting costco today and then maybe playing some board games...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4653 tasting notes
  • “Brr, It's cold tonight. I've made a steady stream of tea throughout the day to keep myself and my partner warm instead of turning on the heater. That's the only thing I'm looking forward to about...” Read full tasting note
    Starfish 86 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our Indian Spice tea, from which you can brew the popular beverage Chai tea, combines assam tea, freshly ground cardamom, and spices to create a hauntingly subtle spiced tea blend. Add some milk and sugar, and you could be in Calcutta awaiting the fresh teas coming down from Assam & Darjeeling. This is the tea to use to brew your own chai tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

Oh. My. God. This stuff is amazing. I say this after drinking three cups in rapid succession.

My experience with Chai is limited; I like Oregon Chai Concentrate very much, but when I sampled another chai at a coffee and tea stand I hated the spicy harshness of it. With that said, this is the best Chai I’ve ever experienced. I realize that’s not saying much, but seriously, it’s heaven in a cup.

Indian Spice is composed of a perfect blend of spices and black tea which is so well balanced that I can’t point to one note that overwhelms the others. It’s not spicy, it’s not flat, and it IS delicious. Harney has come up with a tea that is strong and full bodied without assaulting the palate. Indian Spice is everything I love about Oregon Chai and more.

Some other tasting notes call this tea mild, which is certainly not how I would describe it; it seems quite strong to me. My guess is that this is less spicy than many, which makes it the perfect brew for me. Individually, I dislike many of the spices used in Chai, and if they were overwhelming or if one could be tasted individually this would not be an enjoyable drinking experience.

I prepared this in an infuser with boiling water, then added Demarra sugar cubes (5 per large mug) and stevia (about 11 drops per mug). Evaporated milk was the milk component.

My brother recently studied abroad in India and brought back the best Chai tea I’ve ever had in my entire life. He ran out so I got him this. If made according to the traditional method, and not H&S’s brewing instructions, it’s perfect.

We do the following:
-2 cups water brought to a low boil
-add two table spoons of sugar or honey (I prefer honey or at least brown sugar)
-add Two round teaspoons of the tea
-boil it for 10 minutes (basically what you’re doing is making a syrup base with the tea flavor. You’ll notice that the tea leaves have uncurled after the 10 minutes)
- Add 2 cups of whole milk
-bring the mix back to a boil (WATCH or it will overflow/burn!)
-Turn off the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes (If you can) : )
Makes 2ish mugs

Boiling 8 min or more

This tea has a delicious aroma that immediately reminded me of pumpkin pie. The taste is mostly Assam with just a hint of spice. I’m actually surprised a how subtle the spice taste is. Sugar doesn’t seem to change much and actually brings out more of the dryness. A little cream helps the spices come out somewhat; it’s still very subtle but it is a good cup of tea. I’m not sure it’s spiced enough for those seeking a truly spiced tea, but for those seeking a tea with a hint of spice it seems ideal.

First thing I notice about this one is the CTC leaves – the dry tea looks like a bunch of tiny pellets. The tea itself brews up a nice dark red/brown, and certainly smells the way chai should: warm spices and black tea. A nice blend of spices too, not too much cinnamon. I find this too bitter to drink plain; honey helps a little, milk helps more. With both, it is tasty. A very solid chai choice – might buy again, but I’d rather find something that doesn’t absolutely require sweetener.

For the life of me I cannot tell if this is the tea I’m drinking or not – although I did make myself a cup earlier. My guess is that what I dumped just now is Indian Spice – a nice chai-like tea, however it was getting grainy and astringent as it cooled, so I just let it go to the Gods of the Copper Pipes. Whatever it is I’m drinking now is honeyed and sweet… methinks I need to keep better track of what I’m sipping.

Got this in my sample pack. Pretty good … Just a little bit of spice not too much. Ok plain might be better with milk and sugar. Not sure I would purchase this though.

I tried this for the first time today and it was SPICY! I put in just a smidgen of rock sugar and some half-and-half, but the spices overpowered the sugar. It tasted like Indian food (which I love and ate just two nights ago, but it was weird to have it in my tea). The spices were a little too intense in that first cup and I wasn’t sure I’d want it again.

But I resteeped the leaves, again adding sugar to the leaves and half-and-half to my cup, but this time I used more sugar. It was DELICIOUS the second time. A near-perfect cup of masala chai. The spices were softer, either because of the resteeping or the added sugar. The rock sugar was perfect and gave it that sweet-spicy-creamy Indian flavor that makes masala chai so good.

I prefer to drink tea plain, and this one is far far too bitter for that. I guess that’s normal for indian chai that is usually prepared with milk and sweetener.

This is a solid, simple chai. I prefer it black but my wife likes it as a latte as well. Great spice for cold-weather months.

I tried the bagged version of this at the Daily Grind with half and half and a packet of Splenda. Such a rich flavor! I love all the spices they used, though the bag didn’t identify all of them. I loved it so much, I decided to take the bag back with me.

While stirring a sugar/Splenda mix into the resteep, I knocked over the whole cup, and half of the tea ended up on the floor, the other half seeping under my laptop. Within seconds, it froze. I wiped everything up, turned the laptop off, unplugged it, took out the battery, tilted it in a few directions, and let it sit on the side that got the worst of the spill.

Five hours later, it froze booting, so I went to Wal-Mart and looked for some canned air. It wasn’t in the cleaning section, so I went to the computer section and had a hard time finding it. It was on the bottom shelf hiding next to other stuff. So I sprayed it and waited about an hour, then it took 10+ minutes to do a self-diagnostic that didn’t even fix anything, but it was fine after a restart. I went crazy being laptop-less for 7 hours.

Oh, and when I tried resteeping it, I’d heated about 2 cups of water, so I used the other cup once I’d cleaned everything up. It was so weak, it tasted more like tea-flavored water. All that for nothing! But the first steep was heaven.