Bangkok Blend

Fruit Green Herbal Blend
Coconut, Grass, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by ScottTeaMan

• “I've found that you can make the most delicious cocktail ever with this. Iced Bangkok + pineapple juice + guava paste + dulce de leche + rum The guava and dulce need to be room temp so you...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Another sample from *Alphakitty*! This is definitely an interesting blend! I’m drinking it cool because I got distracted by a few things after it was brewed, so I will still need to try it hot...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “This tea is amazing, as per usual :) Hence why I chose it as the first tea to ever grace my new Timolino with it's presence! FYI: This is really more of an update on my day and recent Timolino...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 569 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for sending me this sachet, *Ian*! I'm having it hot first, and the sachet is now cold steeping in the fridge. I am trying that whole cool off with hot tea thing since I've not felt...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

The rich flavors of Thailand are the inspiration for this tasty blend. It is a combination of green tea, lemongrass, coconut and ginger.

About Harney & Sons View company

I’ve found that you can make the most delicious cocktail ever with this.

Iced Bangkok + pineapple juice + guava paste + dulce de leche + rum

The guava and dulce need to be room temp so you can mix them together into a syrup. Pour into the Bangkok + pineapple, add a splash of rum, and perfection!

oh man that sounds soooo good. the cocktail that is lol

Hesper June

Oh my! That sounds delish!

Nik

I am having to bookmark your tasting notes because you keep sharing awesome recipes (please don’t stop). Thank you. :D

Alphakitty

Thank you~ I really like experimenting with tea so I definitely will have more to share!

Another sample from Alphakitty!

This is definitely an interesting blend! I’m drinking it cool because I got distracted by a few things after it was brewed, so I will still need to try it hot (or at least warm). I can taste the lemongrass but it’s not overpowering, and there’s a coconutty sort of creaminess that lingers in the aftertaste along with the lemongrass. The base tea is quite present and tasty, which is great. I’m not sure what else is in here, but everything is really working quite well together. Although I like it (proof: cup finished while writing this review), I’m not sure it’s a tea I’d drink too frequently, so the very generous sample I received will probably do me for a while. That is, unless this is one of the ones that is fantastic iced (gah!! This is why I need Steepster! To check on such things!) Thanks again, Alphakitty!

ETA: Second infusion, 175F for 3 min, is pretty good too. Lemony and a bit less creamy. Lovely aftertaste. I should really get on that cold-brewing. I love that you sent me enough to experiment with, Alphakitty!!

ScottTeaMan

Try it iced…….it is AWESOME!

Kittenna

Ok, this was one I’m supposed to try iced!! Will have to do that soon. Cold steep or hot then chill?

ScottTeaMan

I used 1 heaping TBSP for 18 0z. I did wash the leaves with 170-180* water for 30 seconds (just covering the leaves). Immediately filling my press with cold water and put in fridge for 12 hrs. I washed the leaves just to open them up. Cold brew.

Kittenna

Thanks! Hopefully I have time to try that tonight. I actually just recently read about the method of a quick hot steep followed by a longer cold brew and wanted to test it out :)

ScottTeaMan

If you like this hot, you’ll really like it cold. I only wish I made more. :))

Alphakitty

It’s definitely better cold brewed!

Kittenna

Sold. Cold-brewing imminent. Until I read fridge for 12 hours. Do you think 5 would be enough? Or ~24 too much??

ashmanra

Five might not be enough, but I don’t think 24 would hurt. There are a few teas I have left a really long time and they did okay, other than maybe getting a little cloudy if I didn’t put a pinch of baking soda to clear them. Mostly Assam blends do that, though.

Kittenna

I still haven’t brewed any real teas other than a couple whites, so am worried about astringency, but I suppose that 12 hours is already a pretty long time…!

ScottTeaMan

Some greens get bitter or astringent if left that long-this one would not. I found 12 hours to be quite enough.

ScottTeaMan

Bancha is a more mild green, so it will be good at 12 hours…….cold brew it while you sleep. :))

Kittenna

Haha, yes, I hope I remember to try this out tonight! Should also do a couple others the same way. However, my fridge is currently being completely overwhelmed by massive amounts of asparagus since I’m into my cooking trials (so not much room for other food or tea!)]

CHAroma

What’s this about washing the leaves before cold steeping?

Kittenna

Hmm, I definitely didn’t wash the leaves so much as leave them in hot water for 30 before adding said water to a larger volume of cold water, but I haven’t tried the results yet… ScottTeaMan??

This tea is amazing, as per usual :) Hence why I chose it as the first tea to ever grace my new Timolino with it’s presence!

FYI: This is really more of an update on my day and recent Timolino purchase. I plan on doing an actual review under the Timolino once I’ve had a few more days to test it out.

So I caved yesterday and picked up a Timolino after over a week of really deliberating. I still think it was a bit too expensive, but in the end I wanted to be able to enjoy tea after my 8am lab finishes up at 11am since I can’t have any beforehand with the time constraints. However, I got to casually take little sips of tea from 8am right up until 2pm when I finally finished off the mug full, and I was quite happy with it. I’m still slightly nervous to try out the leakproof feature by throwing it in my bookbag with my laptop, although I see only good reviews.

Also, Mondays promise to be brutal this term. I start class at 9am and have one 1 hour break until 7:30pm. Histology began at 9am when we were reminded if we hadn’t read up to chapter 5, we were now five chapters behind. So I picked up that textbook today :| However, it all looked up when I arrived at physics at 5pm and the prof was not only very attractive but also hilarious and young. Score.

Cavocorax

I’ve only had my timolino leak once, and I’m pretty sure it’s because I didn’t seal it correctly. (I was in a rush.) I keep both my timolino’s in my purse which is where I keep my phone, tablet and ereader and all have been safe! Hopefully that helps! if you’re not sure, just tip it over to make sure it doesn’t drip before you stuff it in your bag. It’s either sealed, or it isn’t.

Courtney

Thanks for the heads up! I did tip it over, but I think I’m just paranoid about something happening anyway haha.

keychange

Yup, no spills with the timolino here, either. How did you find the tea tasted your timilino? I’m excited that you caved and got one! and hey, good for you for making the tea last like five hours in it—my tea is gone within an hour or two of my arriving at work, which is why there’s another timolino around the corner.

Courtney

I found it tasted exactly the same actually! I was contemplating perhaps only using it for greens and perhaps whites, and oolongs. I don’t want to have any lingering tastes in there after lots of usage.

Thank you for sending me this sachet, Ian!

I’m having it hot first, and the sachet is now cold steeping in the fridge. I am trying that whole cool off with hot tea thing since I’ve not felt comfortable since running around playing with a neighbor’s dog. My dog did NOT like that but he doesn’t play at all anymore, unlike this puppy!

The smell reminds me of coconut lemongrass soup, sort of like Exotica did, but a bit creamier.

First I was kind of iffy about it, but as it’s cooled, I’m liking it a lot more. Lemongrass and ginger can be pretty overpowering, but the vanilla and coconut aren’t lost. It’s very refreshing, and I think it’ll be even better tomorrow iced!

This one is nice! ;D

Alphakitty

This tea is divine iced! Hot is good, but cold the flavors come out a lot more.

ScottTeaMan

Agreed! Al longer steep brings out a stronger Bancha flavor.

Lemongrass and coconut: two very awesomesauce fragrances and flavours. This actually smells and tastes like Thai coconut curry to me. See, I love that stuff, but not sure if I like the idea of it being translated into a tea. I tie that curry flavour to rice and vegetables, seafood, etc, so it’s weird taking a sip and thinking you’re eating a plate of that.

The tea base is quite mild. I can taste a bit of sharpness from the leaf but the curry is distracting me. It reminds me of the time I made stir-fry vegetables with lemon ginger rooibos. That was… interesting.

gmathis

TeaFrog has a Thai Coconut green tea without the curry that sounds similar without the weirdness.

Fjellrev

I’ve had that one and they taste very similar to me! Actually, I think I got more lemongrass from TeaFrog’s.

gmathis

I’m still trying to acquire a taste for Thai curry—we have a nice local mom-and-pop restaurant that does it nicely. However, here in the great uncultural rural midwest, I haven’t had the opportunity to try Indian curry to compare and constrast.

Fjellrev

Ah, I think I prefer Indian curry. More depth overall, I think. I went to a Tibetan restaurant the other day and tried their curry. Very similar to Indian. I’m sure the most nearby city has a couple good Indian restaurants so you can try it out. It seems to be getting more and more popular.

This came as a free sample from Harney & Sons and it’s a pyramid teabag…

Lately I’ve been feeling so “meh” about flavored green teas so I wasn’t looking forward to this one so much.

This is sweet and lovely and I am very fond of this combination! Firstly you get a nice coconut and vanilla flavor followed up with the lemongrass and ginger. I’m not getting a lot of green tea flavor here but I do like the flavor. I was pretty fond of the Thai rooibos from Upton as well so I guess it’s no surprise I am digging it.

I only wish this came in decaf form, then it would make a great dessert tea (no they don’t have it, I checked the website).I think it would be great with some soymilk or coconut milk. I might need to order some of this when I get more things from Harney – and you know it is only a matter of time…. hee!

ScottTeaMan

I was going to send you this one. I’m glad tou like it. Maybe you need to steep it longer to taste the light Bancha tea?

TeaBrat

If I get some more I’ll keep that in mind. Have you ever had this iced?

Infusin_Susan

Sounds good. I think I might have to try this.

ScottTeaMan

No, I’ve never iced it-would probably cold brew. I may have enuff for a quart or two.

ScottTeaMan

Making it hot & then icing it would bring out nore of the Bancha flavor though.

Invader Zim

I really enjoy this one, but I prefer it hot. For some reason it just doesn’t taste right to me cold. If you like coconut with green tea you might like H&S new tea called Love Life. It has coconut and strawberry, it’s quite yummy!

“One night in Bangkok and the world’s your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain’t free…”

For cryin’ out loud, this song is stuck in my head! And it’s not the original version either… Mike Tyson makes me want to beat my own head against the wall! Aaaagh!

Luckily this tea is better than his rendition of the song! Soothing coconut and lemongrass mingle with a light vegetal base… Bangkok, take me away!

I gotta find Murray Head on YouTube and get Mike outta my head…

TeaBrat

Great now that song will be stuck in MY head!

CupofTree

oh so THAT’s what he says! the world’s your oyster… learn new things every day haha
tea sounds good too.

Azzrian

I have no idea what song this is and I have no intention of utubing it LOL

Sipdown, 180. Steepster, you are killing me with this nonsense today. Load the f-ing pages!

I think this sample is old and has suffered from storage in a ziploc bag. It’s really not that flavorful anymore. The cold brew I did the other day was much more successful, which leads me to think that perhaps my using old teas for cold brews is pretty much the only good use for them these days. This is slightly creamy and slightly lemony but not much else. Ah well, it’s something I run into a lot going through my old blends.

Stephanie

I know right? How am I supposed to drink tea without talking about the tea??? First werld problemz :P

Quite a few years ago I remember not liking coconut very much, because my mom used to make coconut cake that was too sweet. Then I had macaroons at a Chinese buffet and loved them. Then I tried Thai food and loved the way coconut was a part of their delicious food. So now I, “Really digg coconut man!” Harney’s crafted this blend a few years ago, and I always wanted to try it…….so last year I bought a tin.

Surprisingly, I reecently found this and tried it today. I immediately smelled the coconut…it just hit me in the face! I inhaled the blend deeply and smelled lemongrass, and there was something else. What was it? The aroma was secondary to the other two but…SSNNIIFFFF….AHHHH, there it is—vanilla! Those were the three scents I detected, and I couldn’t detect any ginger. Amazing aroma, and I couldn’t wait to drink a cup. My mouth was watering!

In the wet leaf aroma I could actually smell the green tea now. This looked like a Bancha green and not a Sencha. Bancha is more mild than a Sencha, and it works really well in this blend. A yellow colored liqour greeted my eyes as I waited for the cup to cool.

At 3.5 minutes, the coconut, came through very well, and the lemongrass was quite noticeable and refreshing. What I really like is that the vanilla was well represented, but more of a background flavor. Sometimes vanilla can be overdone, but not here. I really like it when you can taste the TEA and the added flavors. The tea is really good bancha with no bitterness, but there is good flavor. A really good balance of the green tea, coconut, lemongrass & vanilla.

My second cup was steeped at 4.5 and around 200 degrees. Here the flavors come through well enough, and the longer steep made thee green tea pop, and made my mouth pucker. This was not bitterness at all. I enjoyed this cup too, but the green tea was more prominent than the flavors here. I think to achieve a good balance I would steep this blend at 3.5 minutes, but no more than four. I aso used more quantity “leaf” per cup, probably closer to 1 1/2 tsp.

This is one of my favorite blends and Bankok Blend would go perfect with Thai food. It is also a delicious dessert tea. I probably could drink this every day! It makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :)) I could see myself drinking this in the warmer months—this would make a great iced tea. Right now it is too cold here to drink anything iced though. In the Summer, when I ice this tea, I need to remember to buy some tiny umbrellas! :))

Cupped & Reviewed: Friday, January 13, 2012.

SunnyinNY

Love this review.
I can taste the coconut through my computer monitor! :)

ScottTeaMan

yeah, if you like coconut, I think you’ll like this. Just enough coconut & other flavors to balance the tea.

SimplyJenW

I have a sample of this I have been meaning to try….. It needs to be today!

ScottTeaMan

Yes it does! I’m gonna go have nore right now. :))

TeaBrat

This sounds very nice. :)

gmathis

crave crave crave crave crave crave

ashmanra

This is one of the first green teas that I liked!

Stephanie

diggin the coconut—I love it! :)

And another sipdown today! (94)

I think I’ll miss this. It reminds me of that Coco-Lemon Thai from Davids, but I think I preferred this version. I wish I had some for side-by-side comparison but it’s not that big a deal. This is a nice tea, but not for every day – I need to crave it.

This is my favourite!