Black Teas, Chocolate Flavor, Hazelnut
Cocoa, Cream, Hazelnut, Roasted nuts, Chocolate, Nuts, Nutty
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Sooo I'm in china, with a very limited amount of my own tea from home. I pretty much threw in some tea bags at the last minute and a few teas that are nearing sip down. It's not going to be...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4726 tasting notes
  • “Having a Nordic mug of this along with some brownies I made last night. Ugh, the brownies are so ridiculously sweet. While shopping at Costco, a friend of my mom's plopped this huge box of...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing the last of Florence as a celebration of the end of my summer semester and mixing it with the last bits of both Rani and Makalbari Assams. The result: Possibly the most perfect mix...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1014 tasting notes
  • “One pot of tea closer to killing this one. Not that I don't enjoy it, because I do, but it is quite old and has lost its spark to me. Now I it's just the latest in a group of teas that I am excited...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1914 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Since we can’t always be sipping hot cocoa while sitting in the Palazzo della Signoria, we can sip this decadent blend of chocolate and hazelnut and dream we are there.

About Harney & Sons View company

Arright, Steepsterites. I’m supposed to be doing school stuff right now, so I can’t stay long. However, I’m drinking this tea courtesy of the ever-brilliant JacquelineM and I couldn’t not drop in to say something.

I think it was teaplz that mentioned this connection, but they could totally rename this tea Ferrero Rocher and get away with it. That’s what Florence tastes like to me, and that encompasses the entirety of the flavor profile that I get from this – hazelnut, nutella-y chocolate [did you know that Ferrero Rocher chocolates are made with nutella [or a like-substance]?], and maybe a hint of walnut.

I love chocolate, but I can’t eat it everyday, and as such that is the same way I feel about this tea. However, I cannot deny its deliciousness and the fact that on most days this tea would be lovely. It’s got a decadence about it. And at 4 minutes it doesn’t go bitter on me, which is a pretty huge plus. The flavor profile also reminds me of some of my favorite Illy coffee concoctions at this bakery cafe I like to visit, which is also working in its favor.

So that’s it. This log is pretty disjointed, and doesn’t really do the tea a ton of justice, but I will end it with this:

If you enjoy Ferrero Rocher chocolates, this tea is for you.

__Morgana__

Yum. Can’t wait to try this. Anything described as decadent is definitely going on my list.

Stephanie

Yes! I love Ferrero Rocher! Another delicious-sounding tea has jumped up on my wishlist!

Gingko (manager of Life in Teacup)

Ferrero Rocher is one of my favorite in the past 15 years!

sophistre

Personally, I find this even more alluring than Ferrero Rocher. It has the nutty flavor and the shadowy chocolate without the INCREDIBLY sweet base, and as a result it seems to be a ‘cleaner’ flavor. Very tasty!

~lauren.

Love Ferrero Rocher chocs & Florence, but does calories & convenience count? I always have a tin of Florence on hand & it’s less guilt inducing on consumption…!

Nik

I love Ferrero Rocher, but I don’t know about chocolate + tea. Your review is definitely tempting me to try it, though!

This is a very well balanced tea. The chocolate elements do not overpower the hazelnutty elements, leading to something reminicent of a fancy bonbon in a little chocolate shop.
This feels like an autumnal tea to me, like it would be fabulous to have on a chilly morning. I might keep ahold of the rest of this sample to try when it cools down some.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Hah! We both tried this at the same time this morning and gave it a similar score.

So nutty and sweet. I can NOT recommend this enough to people who enjoy dessert teas.

ssajami

But with that recommendation there needs to be a warning: Florence is so good, it’ addictive! Me? I buy it by the pound.

Jenn

Agreed! Don’t try this tea unless you’re ready to keep a supply of it on hand at all times.

This tea is a long-time favorite of mine. It was one of the first tins that I bought when I was first becoming obsessed with loose-leaf teas. It still holds that same charm for me. The dry leaves smell of rich cocoa with a hint of nuts. The flavor is smooth, malty black tea with a nutty finish. There is a light chocolate and hazelnut aftertaste that is to die for. No bitterness at all in this tea, it is nice and smooth. I like to add a little sweetener, and sometimes milk, to make this tea just perfect.

-Dry blend has large black tea leaves and twigs.
-Dry leaves smell like rich chocolate with a hint of nuts. Tea liquor aroma is of chocolate and vanilla.
-Tea liquor is a clear dark brown color.
-Smooth malty black tea flavor with a nutty finish. Light chocolate hazelnut aftertaste.
-Best with sweetener. Milk optional.
-Excellent tea. A richly flavored cup of chocolate and hazelnut.

whatshesaid

See, everyone loves this except me. I found it SO bitter. Not at all what i was hoping for with this. I know I’m used to disgustingly sweet dessert teas but I just wasn’t getting anything good from this one. Makes me sad. Will try again though!

Josie Jade

That’s so strange? I’ve never gotten any bitterness from this tea, even when I forget and leave it oversteep in the mornings. Maybe you have a bad batch or something?

whatshesaid

I feel like it’s probably me. I find it putrid. It smells ok but the taste! Ack! I don’t know. My friend really likes it. I have to figure out how to tweak it so maybe I can enjoy it. It’s gotta be me though, it’s rated so highly by everyone else ever. Your review of it makes me want some but I know I’ll end up disappointed!

I loved this when I had a sample of it. Now that I have a whole tin, I feel very meh about it. Maybe the sample was from a batch that was better? It’s still good, I’m just not doing any cartwheels about it and there is no driving force to make this tea.

Uniquity

That sounds a terrible situation to be in! I “advise” (:D) shoving it in the back of the cupboard and forgetting about it for a month or two so you can re-discover it. Sometimes that works wonders! : )

Kristin

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of trying to trade my co-worker for 1/2 of it for some more of that coffee almond.

Uniquity

Also a good plan, as long as you end up with tea that you like!

Okay, here’s one for ~lauren!

This is decadence. This is a double-strength mug of Florence with three scoops of chocolate ice cream added.

Double-strength Florence is so dark the spoon almost stands up and incredibly bitter — and I say that as someone who loves bittersweet chocolate! But double-strength Florence with three scoops of chocolate ice cream is creamy and smooth and delicious! I didn’t cool the tea down before adding the ice cream, but letting it steep for so long and adding the ice cream cooled it down enough to let me start drinking right away, so I could enjoy the combination of hot tea and cold ice cream before it equalized.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

(Dinner? What dinner?)

Cofftea

Um… uh… wow… That sounds so good I don’t have words for it- only tears cuz I can’t have any. Tea floats are AMAZING!!!

~lauren.

OMGoodness! WANT! WANT! WANT! Can I have some? WANT! WANT! WANT!

~lauren.

Plus, I like that mug – it’s got an attitude!

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

What a decadent “bad girl” (your mug) dinner! Yum!

Do you ever buy a tea and you are just so sure that you will adore it, but then when you drink it your feelings are hurt that you are not madly in love with it?
I was so sure that I would be just as mad about this tea as I am with Paris.
I am not.
However, it IS a good tea and I do like it.
I have a feeling that I did this to the poor tea, my expectations were too high.
I just wanted to love it too much.
Deep Sigh
The nose on this tea is strong.
Almost like its trying to make sure you know it has chocolate in it.
But, the taste it better, it is a smooth tea and I do like the taste.
You really can not identify the black tea in there though.
I drank this as is, no sugar or cream/milk.
I did not want to mask what tea taste that was there.
I can see making this tea for company who do not drink much tea normally, it would be unoffensive to them, unless they do not like chocolate.
Now, I do like some Chocolate Teas.
And this tea is not terrible, we just are going to be friends though, instead of lovers.
I have some of this tea cold brewing, so I will return with a update on how this tea holds up to that.
UPDATE
Well, my opinion has not really changed in drinking it cold brewed.
It makes an all right iced tea, but I probably will not be cold brew it again.

TeaBrat

when I first tried this tea I loved it, but for some reason I stopped loving it.. oh well

SimplyJenW

As long as I think of this as a hazelnut tea, I like it. I agree that the chocolate is a little light.

Janefan

I think a bit of milk/cream and sugar does bring the flavor out more in this one. But, I’ve never managed to get it to taste as chocolately as when I first drank a whole pot of it myself at a teahouse dinner.

Skulleigh

Oh, I’ve been there, and recently! It’s like a personal insult, isn’t it? :D

JacquelineM — how fast did you start craving this the moment you saw me post this? ;)

Seriously, it was because of a note that JacquelineM posted about H&S’s Earl Grey that I remembered that I had a handful of samples tucked away for sometime. Well, one of those sometimes is now. We had our first nasty snowstorm of the season yesterday/today, so I felt that Florence would be very appropriate on a day like this.

I think that it’s very deserving of its praise here on Steepster, and I think others have done an excellent job of describing its many charms. So, why isn’t my rating higher? Well, you may recall that I am not a fan of chocolate. Yes, I am a freak. Ever since overdoing it on M&Ms one Easter as a child I have a very low level of chocolate tolerance. Some days I like it more than others. I think that today is a good day, but it still keeps me from utterly melting over this tea. All that said, I would seriously consider keeping a tin of this on hand — not just for me, but especially for visiting friends or family. NE

wombatgirl

just ordered a sample of this, as so many people say good things about it. I can’t wait!

Rabs

Hooray! I’ll look forward to reading your review :) I must say that I truly am surprised by how much I’m liking this even as the cup cools. I could imagine craving this someday, and that’s utterly shocking to me.

JacquelineM

Ding ding ding! I want!!!!

ashmanra

I used to dislike hazelnut, and I drank this tea and had such mixed emotions. Then I started craving it, then I HAD TO HAVE IT!

Rabs

Lol! @ JacquelineM: I felt a tiny bit bad posting since I knew you’d want it pretty much immediately (but not too bad since it turned out to be yumaliscious).
@ ashmanra: I think I’m exactly like you, but it’s with the chocolate for me. :)

Janefan

I had a big mug of this today myself. Very cozy, comforting, and warming on a cold snowy day.

Kristin

I’m all out of this one. :( plots next order

mpierce87

My next order will be from Harney…I now have 5 Harney teas on the buy list, including this one.

This has been a chocolate weekend for me courtesy of Doulton’s sampler! First, lots of Mayan Chocolate Chai, then Dawn, then Haute Chocolate (from Teavana), and the best for last, Florence! This is by far the most chocolatey tea blend I may have had “ever” and perhaps, the hazelnut gives it a richness that a solo-chocolate blend would not be able to provide….

SoccerMom

Lori, I must agree Florence is my favorite chocolate tea too. (so far) :)

2014-01-07
wow hah!! another one i drank for the first time almost a year ago.
and here i am kinda revisiting the tea. that taste in 2013 was just a sample i’m sure. this time i bought a 4oz tin. i guess it kinda stuck with me that whole time.

and THAT is why i want to declare that I LOVE my tea cupboard right now.
and i never realized it before but when you love your tea cupboard very very much, and you have a very big teapot you also love very much, and aren’t afraid to brew full pots and drink them down anytime you want, all the tea gets drunk much faster! and buying more tea samples and full oz of teas to re-fill the tins becomes an exciting and ongoing endeavor!
science!

it took me over a year to figure out what it is that i like and to recognize a potential super favorite tea when i taste it. and i can also see how my taste is continuing to change. (like i never thought i would enjoy unflavored tea blends as much as i recently have. it clicked all of a sudden and now i’m inspired.)

this tea has a darkness about it. a moodiness. many of my other chocolate teas have a more playful and twinkling chocolate flavor to them. but this is a chocolate tea for adults. and exactly why i bought it to drink at work. because work is the place i’m most adult. ever.

(i’m gonna update my cupboard cuz i’m pretty sure it’s about to be swapping time!)

2013-01-11
good morning steepsters!!
it’s friday!
i love tea!

“Good Morning!"

“What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”

“All of them at once”

Kittenna

The Hobbit??

Shmiracles

yes master hobbit, yes :)

gmathis

Gandalf has the best lines in ALL the movies.

doesn’t he tho!?!?!
he’s always like “BAM!”. wizdom.

Shmiracles

status report! i totally updated this tea note…