Vanilla Comoro

Ceylon Black Tea, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Vanilla, Cream
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Decaffeinated
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “If you are out of champagne, and need something wonderful to go with your two remaining pot de creme, Vanilla Comoro will do the trick! Mmmm! So good with classic desserts. I am making a new rule -...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Today was a dreadful, hard, very full day. I bumbled around at work, a million people called, all the hard clients had questions, and I felt generally useless. And I got stabbed in the neck in...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 674 tasting notes
  • “It's gone. I just drank the last bag. :| I needed it though. I'm grumpy and stressed out and I just want to relax and I've got half an hour to do it. So... fuck it. Vanilla Comoro time!” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1396 tasting notes
  • “Had a cup of this today and was a little disappointed. Initially it was the delicious sweet vanilla tea I love, but as it sat it became bitter and over-steeped, even though I shook out the "dust"...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 674 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

So toothsome, so confoundingly delicious, Vanilla Comoro Tea radiates a softly sweet aroma and has a rich malty, yet light-bodied character. Vanilla notes swirl in each sip of this tasty decaffeinated black tea enhanced by creamy vanilla from Comoros Islands. It is a revelation of sweetness and silkiness, truly a wonder of a tea for the sweettoothed or calorie-counting tea drinker. Please note, this is a Decaffeinated Tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

It’s been awhile since I’ve had this one. It has a great vanilla flavor, and I really like the tea base. Even though it’s decaffeinated it still has a bit of heft and nice malty notes. I added some cream and sugar to my cup and am enjoying sipping on this while I read other people’s tasting notes. That’s about as wild and crazy as my Friday nights get. :)

Fuzzy_Peachkin

That’s my kind of Friday night!

Haha! Me too.

LOVE this tea!! I received my order in three days… amazingly fast! I love the vanilla in this tea, tastes like REAL vanilla not the imitation vanilla like some wanna be vanilla teas! And this is DECAF!!! Completely unbelievable! I just ordered a tin of 20 sachets and am already contemplating just ordering the pound of loose tea :) I will definitely be going through this tin quickly! I think this tea is going to be a new “constant” in my tea cupboard!

oOTeaOo

I love vanilla! I might give this a try one day :)

JacquelineM

He hee! Join the one pounders club :) Me and ashmanra both order one pound bags of this and Queen Catherine. I think I may order a one pounder of Earl Grey Supreme too.

Uniquity

Oy, so jealous! I’ve waited 6 days for them to even ship my order, which they haven’t done yet… Plus two weeks for it to get to Canada, if they ever send it. I want my pound!

I can’t believe this is a decaf tea! My husband can’t believe there really aren’t cookies baking at 11pm at night! Silly hubbins. But this time around I really, really smell the vanilla and it does smell a little like yummy vanilla sugar cookies! The taste is rich and sweet. But not too sweet. It just has a really nice balance between the black tea and vanilla. Perfect end to one of the first real Fall days we’ve had here in NY.

LiberTEAS

I get that a lot. When I make a chocolate tea, or a vanilla tea … my youngest daughter comes in saying “are you baking cupcakes?” and my hubby says “that smells good, what are you making for me?” They’re both pretty disappointed when I tell them it’s tea. LOL

The Purrfect Cup

My husband gets pretty bummed out when he learns it’s only tea too!

So, I fell asleep at like 8 PM which is really weird for me: Normally I go to bed “for realsies” at like midnightish. But nope, stupid me had to take a nap, and now it’s 1 AM and I’m wide awake. So of course, that means more tea! I tried to pick things that were decaf (this blend) or not very high in caffeine.

This sample comes from Keychange and I received it in sachets! My first and only Harney Experience was with Paris, also in sachets, but I was super sick and out of it and I don’t even remember the taste – plus it’s quite likely whatever I tasted was off from being sick. So, more or less this is my first Harney tea.

I steeped it up based on VariaTEA’s recorded steeping parameters since we have similar enough tastes, and she seemed to really enjoy that cup. I have to admit, both dry and steeped this doesn’t smell like a whole lot to me. Taste wise, it’s a very smooth black base and I for sure can say there’s no astringency or bitterness. I suppose I could agree that it’s “silky” like the product description says. After that, however I kind of stop seeing and tasting what’s being advertised.

I can’t say I get “vanilla” or any creaminess from the taste. In fact, I really don’t taste a whole lot of anything; just a smooth and silky, and fairly weak tbh, black base. I mean – it’s not bad or unpleasant it’s just not really much of anything? Is it possible to have incredibly silky smooth tasting hot water?

I’m gonna leave this unrated for now because I’m not really sure how to even go about rating it. I am disappointed though because I don’t taste a whole lot of anything at all, but I do have two more sachets left to try and get this right. Perhaps this one just isn’t for me though.

EDIT: Ok, after it reached room temperature I finally got some vanilla taste – though unfortunately I also got some astringency.

VariaTEA

I didn’t like this the first time I had it, although I don’t think I was unimpressed with it as you are. I definitely recommend adding milk though.

Roswell Strange

As it cooled (like, almost room temperature) I finally got some vanilla flavour. I’ll consider the milk thing next time I make it.

JustJames

this is a decaf tea, is it not? i wonder if it’s skewing the taste. that would account for the silky as opposed to any sense of stick. i have a sample of this…. now i have misgivings. tea is SUPPOSED to have caffeine!!!! =0)

Roswell Strange

Yeah, this one is Decaf.

JustJames

hmmmm…. likely not for me. the caffeine gives my tea texture- don’t mess with the texture of my tea. i have a few small swaps going off soon… i think it may vanish ;0)

MissB

I found this really good only with a short steep.

keychange

Yup, I wasn’t all that impressed with this one either.

caile

I agree with short steep, and also more leaf/less water may be better.

CelebriTEA

I got vanilla with absolutely NO astringency.
NMSAA but not bad either…it does have relaxing qualities
and it was a gift, so Thank you Miss , this one does have qualifying moments.

__Morgana__

I agree it suffers by comparison to non-decaf vanilla flavored blacks, but in the realm of decaf vanilla blacks it’s the best I’ve tasted.

This is my last sachet of this tea, which I found while reorganizing my tea shelf at home. I have a pile of decaf and herbal teas here at home that I never get around to drinking, so I am going to attempt to do so in the evenings so I can reduce that stash as well.

This is a nice vanilla, and something about the decaffination process makes this tea impossible to oversteep it seems like. It does tend toward weakness, to my taste, so I do feel a need to steep it for a while. But it’s definitely pleasant, anyway.

Tabby

I agree, this does need a pretty long steep time.

Here’s another sample from BoxerMama! Thanks!

I do like Vanilla. I don’t care if this is decaf, in fact I’m drinking it, pretending that it’s not, so that I can enjoy another cup of black tea without being up all night. I added stevia, because plain it was meeeeeeh

The Tea-ness of it is so-so, the Vanilla flavor is there, but it really reminds me of cotton candy. Actually, now that it’s cooled a little, it has a creamy texture & reminds me of the banana pudding with vanilla wafers, just a little. Again, not something I’ll probably ever order, but worth trying.

Thanks to Will Work For Tea for this sample

Wow, this is smooth! This is sweet, creamy, and with great vanilla flavour (vanilla is one of my fav flavours). This is a truly great blend. The black tea base doesn’t come through too much…….

Wait a minute……reading other reviews and I realize: this is a DECAF? WHAT? No wonder I couldn’t taste the black base too much…lol. This is way too good to be a decaf. This is the best decaf I have ever tasted. I might have to make a Harneys order one day and this tea will certainly be on it!

there are a couple of H&S teas that can be found at chapters and wililams and sonoma as well heh

gmathis

You’ll see lots of rave reviews around here for VC!

Will Work For Tea

I think I like it so much because it is decaf! :)

tigress_al

Ya, they used to have Paris at my local Chapters. I never did pick it up because I had so much tea already. And then I tried some samples, and really liked it. I went back to Chapters to pick it up, and it was no longer there….oops, shoulda picked it up when I had the chance.

Yep, decaf, this will be great to enjoy later in the day when I really want black tea, but not all the caffeine!

ashmanra

Yep, I buy this me by the pound!

Amanda

I’m lucky enough to have this at my local grocery store. I have read all the rave reviews, but i need me some caffeine, although i’m convinced it has no effect on me. Your review may just push me to getting some. Thanks!

jordy22

does this tea have calories?

My never fail evening tea. Creamy vanilla tea with a dash of cream – as satisfying as hot chocolate somehow even though this isn’t chocolate at all.

I’m glad to have this in loose leaf as can adjust the amount better, and find it brewed best with a couple minutes steep time. Yum!

VariaTEA

This smells so amazing!! I find tastewise it can be hit or miss but when it is good, its REALLY good!

caile

Yes! I have had it go bitter but not often and only when I let it brew too strong – and even then it wasn’t horrible.

TheTeaFairy

It’s nice to have some never fail teas :-)

caile

It is! And especially an evening tea with low caffeine – I can always count on this!

It’s -8F right now and the low tonight is expected to be -19. Seems like a perfect night for Vanilla Comoro.

Nichole

After all of your reviews of Harney & Sons, I seriously have to pick some up. Since I’m snowed in again today. . .I guess its a good tea online shopping day!

Kristin

Yeah, I’ve liked everything except the Birthday Tea. Florence and Vanilla Comoro are my favs.

Uniquity

I’ve got some Vanilla comoro coming from Meaghann and I am SO excited to try it. I’ve already got a plan in the back of my head to order either the 50 ct teabags (convenience) or a pound of loose (always awesome). Haven’t even tried it yet!!

Maybe the lightest touch of vanilla I have had in a vanilla tea. I liked that – most are overdone. The decaf base is very light bodied. For an evening tea that makes sense. I like it. Thanks Nicole.

gmathis

You’ve probably seen this in other notes, but this is a great blender-inner and stretcher-outer.

ashmanra

K S: I don’t know if you had the sachet or loose, but JacquelineM and I found that the loose seems richer and has caramel notes, and it is important to stir it up because a lot of the goodies settle in the one pound bag.

K S

Thanks, I keep it in mind ladies. This is loose leaf.