Vanilla Comoro

Ceylon Black Tea, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Orange Blossom, Vanilla, Orange Zest, Malt, Cream, Custard, Frosting
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Decaffeinated
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “If you are out of champagne, and need something wonderful to go with your two remaining pot de creme, Vanilla Comoro will do the trick! Mmmm! So good with classic desserts. I am making a new rule -...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Today was a dreadful, hard, very full day. I bumbled around at work, a million people called, all the hard clients had questions, and I felt generally useless. And I got stabbed in the neck in...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 916 tasting notes
  • “It's gone. I just drank the last bag. :| I needed it though. I'm grumpy and stressed out and I just want to relax and I've got half an hour to do it. So... fuck it. Vanilla Comoro time!” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1699 tasting notes
  • “This is a bit of a revelation. I still have half a pound of this from my hasty mega-purchase a few years ago. I constantly give it away, but it reproduces like gremlins. Knowing its tendency to...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 696 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

So toothsome, so confoundingly delicious, Vanilla Comoro Tea radiates a softly sweet aroma and has a rich malty, yet light-bodied character. Vanilla notes swirl in each sip of this tasty decaffeinated black tea enhanced by creamy vanilla from Comoros Islands. It is a revelation of sweetness and silkiness, truly a wonder of a tea for the sweettoothed or calorie-counting tea drinker. Please note, this is a Decaffeinated Tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

Today has been such a rollercoaster. On the upside, my H&S order came in, so I have a ton of exploring to do! On the downside, I’m not having a very good time in one of my courses. Paradoxical expectational kind of stuff. Yay.

But this tea is a pleasant surprise. I’m on the same “Whaaaaat, decaf?!” boat as everyone else. The dry leaf smells incredibly sweet. A little on the artificial side, but it’s a similar vanilla I’ve smelled in other vanilla teas. Sugared vanilla.

Very strong sugary vanilla aroma too. It makes you get it straight, that hey, you’re about to drink some serious vanilla tea here.

The taste, like those cubes of vanilla caramel wrapped in plastic. SO that to the tenth power, yo. It’s nice but glad I only got a sample pouch. A bit too cloying for my tastes.

Tonight’s a Pink Floyd kind of night.

Lynne-tea

Aww I hope it all turns around for you! So happy to hear your order came in =)

Fjellrev

Thanks, I hope everything is going well for you in school, at least! Ugh, some people…

Did you end up making an order yourself?

Lynne-tea

It’s great thank you! Just very busy. I did make an order, but realized after I placed it that I forgot the SoHo coconut chocolate one! So silly of me. Ah well. =) I’m excited to see your reviews on them and can’t wait for mine to arrive.

Fjellrev

Don’t worry about it. I bought a tin of SoHo so I’ll pass some down to you in the future. I can’t wait to read your reviews too!

So this pretty much says it all: Today I received a grand total of 32 teas from swaps, on Monday we picked out 15 new teas from tealish, and I’m resteeping this instead of trying a new one.

Uniquity

I want 32 teas from swaps, and 15 teas from Tealish. Jealous! : )

aisling of tea

My wife, she spoils me. :D

aisling of tea

I had a duh moment a few minutes ago. If you’re ever interested, I’d be happy to do a Tealish swap for Sawadee tea! Tealish has a 50 g minimum purchase, but they’re all really tasty!

Uniquity

I’ve never even heard of Tealish before, I was just jealous of your teas – Are they good? I’m sure we could arrange something at some point!!

aisling of tea

They are! So far I’m really impressed. We’re going to pick up some of their Monk’s Blend on Saturday, but De loves their greens and so far I’ve enjoyed everything of theirs I’ve tried.

Uniquity

I was just peeping around their online store and it seems they’ve got very good prices on things. I’ll have to keep an eye out for your reviews!

Thank you, BoxerMama, for this and all the other little Harney & Son samples! I don’t get the chance to try their teas very often. This is a one tea bag affair so I won’t bother assigning my arbitrary numbers today.

If I’m going decaf it shall be Vanilla Comoro for me in the future. The liquor smells like a vanilla cream cloud. The taste is just as smooth, and warm. The creamy sweetness is on par with any self-respecting ice cream scoop and cone. If someone made a cup of this for me and didn’t say what it was I’m not quite sure I would know it was tea.

I’m surprised BoxerMama was generous enough to give any of this away. This is very good, and I think it’s knocking me out as I speak..type.. think… stuff (what?). Good night, Steepsterites!

This is one I specifically requested from Azzrian. I’m glad I got to try it.

It’s silky smooth in texture and taste. While I find it light in body, I feel like I’m getting a good vanilla flavor. The base seems to be a bit malty but a little thin? I feel like some thing is missing. This could be totally mental because I know it’s decaf, but I feel like the “tea bite” is missing. There is some component that I expect to experience which isn’t here. Other than that, I think it’s pretty well done. The vanilla doesn’t feel artificial or overdone.

I’m not sure decaf is some thing I need to keep around. I do enjoy rooibos a fair amount and it’s not caffeinated.

Azzrian

Missy – for the record – that may also be a little older. Not that there is anything “wrong” with it but I could see it being something that has lost some of its quality over time. IF you really like it I might give it a second chance with a new batch. It does have a lovely vanilla flavor but I too thought something was a tad lacking.

Missy

It really smelled yummy! I’ll have to see if I can get a sample from h&s.

Azzrian

Yeah it does smell amazing!

I love things that serve more than one purpose. Vanilla Comoro is one of these things. It’s perfect when I want a satisfying cup of tea after dinner. But, as I discovered today, it’s also perfect on a Sunday morning when I’ve slept in and have already roused myself with a little Chatsford pot of China black and am still craving more tea but don’t want to be bouncing off the walls in another hour. How about … a pot of Vanilla Comoro? Yes, that’s the ticket!

Thank you again, Jacqueline, for introducing me to the loose-leaf version of this tea. And thank you, Harney and Sons, for getting a pound of it to me in two days!

Epilogue: I am about to brew another pot of Vanilla Comoro as I sit down with my crocheting and enjoy a quiet Sunday evening.

205 °F / 96 °C
JacquelineM

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

tea friend   /tee/frend/
–noun
a person who gives assistance, support, advice, samples, camaraderie and anything else needed, all for the betterment and sharing of tea experiences.

I have been fortunate to make some good friends on Steepster, in he last two weeks, friends have allowed me to try some amazing rare teas, and some more common teas that get high marks from the membership here. I was so glad to get to try “The Jane Austen Maffia” a while back and now, I am in the “Vanilla Comoro” Club a last! Thanks to QuiltGuppy, last night, late, after a cup of Vanilla Bean Nilgiri, I ended my day with VC.

Simple, sensible, and elegant are the words that come to mind. For me, the tea was a perfect balance of two complimentary factors. The vanilla was not creamy, not carmelly, not overdone or perfumy in any way. It was just right. To top it off, the black tea (although decaffinated :( came through as well. Nothing else. Simply elegant. I felt the urge to repour the tea from a trusty home cabinet mug to a nice china cup and saucer.
If the loose caffeinated version is this good, I am about to become a Harney customer.

QuiltGuppy

I’m really glad you like it! What a kind post, too. :). You made me smile.

teawing

You and KiTT have made a loose leaf guy out of me!

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Thoroughly enjoyed reading through your tealog this afternoon. I’m curious about where you live in the South as you’ve mentioned it several times, if you don’t mind divulging. I’m currently residing in Charleston, SC, myself. =)

teawing

I am glad you enjoyed it, just learning the ropes of tea with the help of some friends. Arkansas is home, a long ways from the coast…I am envious, seafood, the only tea plantation in NA, and such a rich history!

I’m increasing the rating of this tea since my first try. I’ve tried this tea with boiling water and water at around 195-200 degrees. I’m liking the boiled version better. No matter how long I steep it, though, I do get a very drying sensation in my mouth from the black tea (From 3 minutes to 3 & 1/2 to 4). I don’t sense any kind of creamy texture or taste. I wish I did! How is everyone else getting this rich creaminess?
The vanilla tastes like it’s of good quality and adds a nice sweetness, but it’s the tea base that confuses me. It’s almost thin with a kind of coppery tinge. I really don’t know if I should buy a tin of this (even though I don’t love it) because I love that it’s decaffeinated — black tea at night! [ Any suggestions for awesome flavored desserty decaf teas are welcome! ]

JacquelineM

I use milk and sugar with this. I haven’t met a decaf I like without it.

Kristin

Are you using tea sachets or loose? If sachets, make it in a small 8oz cup, boiling water, for 4 min. I didn’t think it was great (using sachets) until I went to a smaller cup. And definitely add sugar if you are not. I don’t add any cream to mine,

In honor of today’s H&S Steepster Select, I decided to dig into my sample of Vanilla Comoro!

Oh my my god…you guys, the reviews aren’t wrong—this tea is delicious!! It’s delicious for a decaf tea, it’s delicious for a regular tea. The flavor is is just rich and great!

Like ashmanra says, the scent of the dry leaves is just like maple syrup. The taste is like caramelized vanila sugar. There’s no hint of cough syrup or that awful fake fruitiness in this tea! And underneath the vanilla flavor, I can actually detect the black tea taste! I’m really surprised this is decaf. It’s very satisfying for decaf.

This is on my list to order a full-size!

Rabs

If they would’ve had this tea in place of the peppermint, then I think I would have been struggling on day 2 of my self-imposed tea buying ban. ;)

Alannah

Did you try this loose or bagged?

Stephanie

Alannah: This is the loose version. I’m drinking it again tonight and it is yummeh!

This is a pleasant tea sample I get thanks to Nicole
It’s smooth, vanilla is really a sweet vanilla but to me the tea base is probably not for me.
This is my first decaf tea so it may be that, that weird “flat” tea base taste.
Whatever this is a probably perfect for a good night and vanilla flavoured dreams

Just had a nice mug of this, trying to limit my caffeine consumption.
I recall loving this and that has not changed! It doesn’t strike me as an “icky” decaf tea, which is nice. Good thing I still enjoy this because I may or may not have purchased a huge mother load of tea bags from H&S last year that is still sealed :)

Huzzah!

Oh and PS this may be my favorite tea tin to stick my nose in and sniff! Smells amazing!

Flavors: Vanilla

Ysaurella

That’s so nice to see you back : a warm welcome in the fairy land of motherhood :)