Vanilla Comoro

Ceylon Black Tea, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Orange Zest, Vanilla, Malt, Cream, Custard, Frosting
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Decaffeinated
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “If you are out of champagne, and need something wonderful to go with your two remaining pot de creme, Vanilla Comoro will do the trick! Mmmm! So good with classic desserts. I am making a new rule -...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Today was a dreadful, hard, very full day. I bumbled around at work, a million people called, all the hard clients had questions, and I felt generally useless. And I got stabbed in the neck in...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 810 tasting notes
  • “It's gone. I just drank the last bag. :| I needed it though. I'm grumpy and stressed out and I just want to relax and I've got half an hour to do it. So... fuck it. Vanilla Comoro time!” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1598 tasting notes
  • “Had a cup of this today and was a little disappointed. Initially it was the delicious sweet vanilla tea I love, but as it sat it became bitter and over-steeped, even though I shook out the "dust"...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 681 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

So toothsome, so confoundingly delicious, Vanilla Comoro Tea radiates a softly sweet aroma and has a rich malty, yet light-bodied character. Vanilla notes swirl in each sip of this tasty decaffeinated black tea enhanced by creamy vanilla from Comoros Islands. It is a revelation of sweetness and silkiness, truly a wonder of a tea for the sweettoothed or calorie-counting tea drinker. Please note, this is a Decaffeinated Tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

Alright, I’ve been meaning to taste this tea for years! I’ve seen the rave reviews here on Steepster, and I love anything vanilla. So I knew this was something I needed to get my hands on. My only hesitation was the fact that it’s a black decaf. I’ve never had tea that has been decaffeinated. And I’m the kind of girl who likes her buzz.

Anyway, I opened the pouch for a quick sniff last night. I had to get my non-tea-drinking man to sniff, too, because the aroma is like straight up buttercream frosting. Like a delicious cupcake. And not the grocery store kind. The independent, mom-and-pop bakery kind.

The taste is as lovely as the smell, but sadly not as potent. Sure, this is a delicious, creamy, wonderful vanilla tea. The best I’ve had. It just sort of lacks a punch. But that could be my fault entirely. Luckily, I have enough to try to make a stronger brew next time. For now, though, I am serious when I say this is my new favorite vanilla tea. It puts everything I’ve had previously to shame. Then again, I have Vanilla Black, the non-decaf version. So I’ll probably be onto that next. We’ll see what the difference is!

As a latte? This is simply superb. It’s really a very good vanilla tea without any additions, but with cream? Oh, such heavenly bliss.

Ok, getting back to sipdowns after a few samples that are decidedly not.

I’ve only tried 1-2 decaf teas, and the only one I remember, from Lupicia, was ok, but not stellar. Something just tasted off. However, since everyone raves about this tea, I had to try it, so thanks to momo for sharing some with me!

Verdict? This is pretty delicious! The aroma while it’s brewing is absolutely wonderful, pure, amazing vanilla. And unlike what I recall of the Della Terra vanilla black, I can actually taste the vanilla here, not just smell it. The base is certainly a bit different than I’m used to, but I don’t know that I would point it out as decaf, I’d probably just consider it to be a lower-quality base tea. But, the flavouring is SO GOOD here, that I don’t frankly care… This tea is a big win for me!

\o/
After reading yours and Sil’s reviews, I’ll have to have some tonight!

Indigobloom

The decaf peach tea from Tsaa was really good, if you need one!

I am finally less scared of decaf tea thanks to H&S vanilla camoro! I have always hated the aftertaste of decaf coffee and figured it would transfer into tea too. Caffeine did not used to bother me and many nights it doesn’t, unless I work the next day…guess I get my mind going and caffeine makes it harder to turn off.
The vanilla aroma is fantastic! The vanilla is so creamy and smooth but dark. I have tasted something else flavored just like this vanilla but its evading me what it is. The tea base is nice too, surpassed all my expectations of decaf black tea. I am glad I ordered a whole tin.

Still bugging me that I can’t remember what this vanilla reminds me of….

So vanilla, fragrantly vanilla. And creamy black tea. It smells so good. I wasn’t very happy with their customer service, yet all their teas seem amazing. Gah.

The taste is lovely, but not quite as good as the smell. I’m thinking I may have steeped it too long at just over 3 minutes. The black base really comes through but it overtakes the vanilla just a wee bit too much. I’ve got more to experiment with so I’ll adjust the steeping time next round.

The vanilla does come out more as it cools.

Update April 20/13: The second steep is also pretty good. I find the vanilla more present, while the black is not quite so strong. It’s quite nice.

jessiwrites

I haven’t tried my sample of this one yet, but it smells amazing.

Seriously, though, their customer service was horrifying. Sigh.

whatshesaid

What happened?!

Cavocorax

Was it something to do with shipping to Canada? Should we not order?

Courtney

The shipping did take a very long time. I expect when things are coming from the US for shipping times to increase, however for the tea to actually be shipped out is what was bothersome. It took much too long and when we inquired about it, they were quite unhelpful. Their teas are delicious though, gah!

Lala

I had the same issue on my last order. By the time I was expecting the tea to show up on my doorstep, I got an email saying it was just shipped. Don’t quite understand what took so long. Also didn’t get any free samples in my order :(

But am so addicted!

Cavocorax

Awww. That’s frustrating, but thanks for the heads up!

Thank you Meghann for sending me this wonderful tea amoung the others in my surprise package from you. :-)

I have been wanting to try this forever and I am so glad I finally tried it. It is yummy, yum, yum! I can’t believe it is decaf. I haven’t had too many decaf teas because I have not liked them all so much but this makes me think I like a decaf tea. I just have to hunt for the right one.

Deliciously vanilla!

~lauren.

Awww, just seeing this tea reviewed here brought back lovely memories! My friends & I drank this all the time at a local Barnes & Noble Starbucks cafe …! I have to see if I can get some of this tea again!

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

I remember seeing this years ago too but when I saw decaf I thought I better not since I normally had terrible luck in that department and now they don’t carry this in the Barnes and Noble stores, a bummer but I suppose an order is in order. :-)

~lauren.

Yes, this decaf bagged tea is one of the best! Nostalgia & Friends plus it does taste YUM! I do need to reorder this one ….

The temperature plummeted thirty degrees since yesterday, making this evening a perfect excuse to brew up a wonderful comfort tea: Vanilla Comoro. As usual, I drank mine doused with light cream and marveled that this could actually be decaffeinated. I like this tea so much that it may end up being my first completely emptied Harney & Sons tin—which I intend to refill with this same tea in loose form!

Flavors: Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
carol who

I love it, too. I can only get it in bags at the local grocery store. I am satisfied with that although loose leaf is bound to be better. It’s a great tea for the evening. I don’t sense anything artificial from the decaf. Love the vanilla. It has been a good one to share with new tea drinkers who are not really ready for the commitment of loose leaf ( insert addiction in place of commitment :-D)

sherapop

Carol who, I believe that this one is all natural, but it is the remarkable quality of the base tea which really impresses me. It is hard to believe that this is decaf! I am ordering the loose from them directly, online.

Cheri

It sounds sooooo delicious. I’ll have to double check if it’s at my grocery. I don’t recall this being amongst what was available last I checked.

I got to try this lovely tea in a swap with Lariel. Thank you Lariel for allowing me to try this tea!

Like many other tasters I was hesitant to try this because it was decaf. However, I must say this tea is VERY tasty!

I am super picky about vanilla flavors – if vanilla tastes artificial-y or has a slight chemical tastes I can not eat it. This goes for flavored coffee, yogurt, candy, etc.

Having said ALL OF THAT, I was super surprised that I really like this one! (In fact, it is the second vanilla tea I have liked lately with the first being Davids Tea Vanilla Orchid oolong). The vanilla flavor is slightly sweet without being overpowering. The base tea is kinda basic with no major distinguishing characteristics. HOWEVER, together there is something magic about the combo.

I always am on the lookout for teas to drink after 6 or 7 at night which is my caffeine end point unless I am working late, out for the night, etc. I have stuck with tisane blends because often decaf teas have a weird taste. This tea completely avoids that weird taste!

This tea is a great late night sipper. Even the soft muted flavor is perfect for evening relaxing!

Fiddling

Now I regret not getting some of this with my last H&S order! Oh well, there will always be next time :)

whatshesaid

It really is that good!

Let me start with a heartfelt Thank You to TeaNSympathy for the sachet samples you sent me, and for giving me a new perspective on decaffeinated teas!

I’m not really a fan of decaffeinated teas. My experiences with them (few that they are), have been bland, nearly tasteless cups of tea with almost no aroma. I have avoided them like the plague…….until now.

I was eager to try this until I saw it was decaffeinated, and I wasn’t expecting much. When I smelled the sachet, I couldn’t believe my nose, so I inhaled even deeper. AAAHHH! What an amazing smell! I’m not even a fan of vanilla teas, because they smell and taste artificial to me. Not the case here…….the vanilla smells so naturally sweet and fresh. I don’t even know if this is an ingredient in the blend, but I was picking up caramel notes as well!

The cup was a medium brown, with a sweet, smooth vanilla aroma. The flavor was a good balance between the black tea base, and the sweet vanilla. What I really like is that the vanilla didn’t overpower the tea, and it tasted so naturally sweet. I was picking up on a lighter caramel flavor as well. A really delicious, sweet dessert tea, and that says alot from someone who loathes decaffeinated teas! :))

I’m so glad I’ve experieced a delicious decaffeinated tea! Now I have at least this ONE tea to drink late at night when I don’t want the caffeine, and when I’m not in the mood for herbals. This tea is great at any hour of the day or night! Thanks again TeaNSympathy. :))

Cupped: Friday, March 9, 2012.

Reviewed: Saturday, March 10, 2012.

I have been looking forward to trying this sample given the love that this tea has on Steepster, and what with a good decaf being hard to find and all. I had had such a bad experience with the only other decaf vanilla black tea I’ve had, the Numi, that I was a little afraid despite my eagerness.

The leaves in the sample packet are lighter colored than I would have expected, and initially they give off a very very intense, creamy, vanilla smell. Once you get under the cream, though, the vanilla is pretty rich, with a hint of beany-ness. The 6 year old was persuaded to give them a sniff and went “MMMMM-MM!”

The tea doesn’t have a very strong aroma. I don’t get a lot of vanilla after steeping. Perhaps this is because I didn’t hear the Breville beep, so the tea had started to cool a bit by the time I got to it. There is a sort of disappointing wet blotter paper, or maybe cardboard, smell to the tea, which is generally what I smell and taste in most decafs.

But fortunately I’m not getting much of that in the taste at all. This is a smooth, mild vanilla tea, with no false steps. The vanilla is integrated nicely into the tea, and provides a sweet, creamy, flavor.

I can’t say that this would be a stand out for me compared to some of the really wonderful non-decaf vanilla black teas I have had. There’s still less to it, like it has been de-somethinged, but by comparison to other decafs it is so much more somethinged.

I’m rating this compared to other decafs, not to other teas generally. On a decaf scale, it’s definitely up there with the Harney Midsummer Peach. I’m going to say it’s slightly better just because it is such a success as a decaf black vanilla compared to the Numi.