Golden Monkey

Cocoa, Smooth, Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Chocolate, Fruity, Sweet Potatoes, Caramel
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Well, I have found out (and it took me years and years and years) that my vintage teaspoons from my Aunt Rosie are teaspoons in name only. I expected as much. Now that I have my Perfect Teaspoon...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Golden Monkey is a fabulous tea, and this one from Harney and Sons is far superior to the Teavana version to me. This particular year's harvest was especially rich, full bodied, and dark. Last...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1858 tasting notes
  • “I have a recent new appreciation for unflavored black teas, especially Fujians, so I decided to revisit this one, which was a sizeable sample from JacquelineM a while ago. I still have enough in...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2007 tasting notes
  • “Sip down. What a wonderful tea. Even using microwaved water this comes out perfect. Ashmanra says this is bolder than the Teavivre version. I can't really tell the difference but I never tried them...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1385 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

From high in China’s Fujian province comes this great black tea. It has large black leaves with gold woven in. It produces a ‘round’ cup of tea with a nice level of complexity including honey notes.

About Harney & Sons View company

Well, I have found out (and it took me years and years and years) that my vintage teaspoons from my Aunt Rosie are teaspoons in name only. I expected as much. Now that I have my Perfect Teaspoon and have begun making tea with it, WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Vintage Teaspoon is a stingy little thing and I always tried to compensate but you know. Some days you are in a rush and you just expect your teaspoon to measure a spoon of tea and not be all chintzy about it!

I made Golden Monkey with Perfect Teaspoon and it has taken my enjoyment up … at least three notches! So rich and honeyed. I was close, but I wasn’t using quite enough tea. Just that little bit extra is making one of my favorite teas even more delicious!

Now I feel like I have all new teas because I will be making them for the first time with my Perfect Teaspoon! I wonder how Keemun Mao Feng and Tan Yang Te Ji will taste when made with the Perfect Teaspoon? I shiver with anticipation!!!!

(…and maybe in 5 or 10 years I’ll get a Tea Scale and …)

Golden Monkey is a fabulous tea, and this one from Harney and Sons is far superior to the Teavana version to me. This particular year’s harvest was especially rich, full bodied, and dark. Last year it was a wee bit lighter because of the drought, I am told.

My guest said she thought there was almost a molasses taste or something similar. I think of it more as malt and rich, chewy raisins. The tea was paired with apple dumplings from that easy peasy pinterest recipe that has been going around, and it was delicious!

For the apple dumplings, just spoon either Comstock Apple Pie Filling or Stouffers escalloped appled onto a Pillsbury crescent roll, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon (I used Vietnamese), roll up tightly so the juice doesn’t leak out, bake for 12-15 minutes, and serve while warm, drizzled with Hershey’s caramel sauce. Yums!

JacquelineM

That sounds so yummy! Thank you for sharing :)

ashmanra

Oh, Jacqueline, you are kind to say that! I know you would go out and pick the apples, grind the cinnamon, make homemade caramel sauce….and sometimes I do! But hubby loved the leftovers warmed up and topped with vanilla ice cream!

JacquelineM

My in laws are crazy for the crescent rolls and always bring them over to bake for dinners, but I buy them for them since they are my guests – and we wind up with 10 tubes :) I am always looking for things to do with the extra tubes! I made a yummy pot pie with them but this looks even nicer!

ashmanra

Cut a small piece of Brie, place on a crescent roll wrap andtop with a little brown sugar, and roll it up and bake as usual. Yummy!

Or….You can cook one or two of them in the oven flat and use them to top chicken veggie soup so it is chicken pot pie soup.

gmathis

Y’all are making me HUNGRY!

2007 tasting notes

I have a recent new appreciation for unflavored black teas, especially Fujians, so I decided to revisit this one, which was a sizeable sample from JacquelineM a while ago. I still have enough in the tin for another cup after this one, even!

Mm, I definitely appreciate this one more than I did the first time I had it. I’ve really come to love those Fujian flavors. This one has lots of those caramel, honey, bready notes. I like this a lot. I tell you, I never thought I would get into unflavored black teas because they didn’t really appeal to me, but I am definitely enjoying them now. Of course, that usually means that suddenly I need to try all the different kinds, like when I first got into oolongs.

TeaBrat

lmao – I know the feeling! why do we go through these different phases with tea? :)

ScottTeaMan

The real problem hits you when you realize that usually the more expensive teas are better, and your stuck-because who wants an ordinary Keemun after you’ve tasted a really great Golden Monkey.

ScottTeaMan

I doubt I’ll ever have a prolonged Rooibos phase…….SERIOUSLY DOUBT!

SimplyJenW

My rooibos phase was short…..and now I pretty much just have ones where you can’t taste the rooibos itself (chai and hot cinnamon…)

Dinosara…have you tried Harney’s Keemun Mao Feng? (I know I am not helping your sample reduction…..)

Scott B

“now I pretty much just have ones where you can’t taste the rooibos itself” — That’s my kinda Rooibos, SimplyJen!

TeaBrat

After tasting so many God awful rooibos blends I think I like the taste of plain rooibos just fine!

ScottTeaMan

Just about the only blened one I may try is a Chai Rooibos.

Angrboda

Oh Fujian. :) I wish there was a Fujian Drinker’s Society, I’d join in an instant. :)

Dinosara

Scott, Scott and Amy — I’m kind of ambivalent about rooibos, but I don’t anticipate going through a rooibos phase!

Jen — I haven’t tried that one, actually I don’t think I’ve tried any straight Keemun. That’s a whole ’nother can of worms!

Ang — I think I would be joining you!

ScottTeaMan

If you put some Mezcal in your tea, then ‘can of worms’ would be truly appropriate! :))

Sip down. What a wonderful tea. Even using microwaved water this comes out perfect. Ashmanra says this is bolder than the Teavivre version. I can’t really tell the difference but I never tried them back to back. This one is leaving me with cool breath like peppermint. If you haven’t tried golden monkey – you should.

fleurdelily

this is the second Golden Monkey review I’ve come across today, so it must be good, thank you for the recommendation, I think I should track some down :)

I see I’ve reviewed this before. Perhaps back when I was just getting into this type of tea? I’m not sure how I thought it was light before. Maybe just a different batch. It’s been about a year.

This is simply wonderful. Deeply malty, fruity and cocoa-y. I forgot to look on here to see if I’d had it before when I grabbed the sample with this last order. If I had, I might have sprung for a full tin. It definitely goes on the shopping list now. Must have more than just a sample. Especially now that I’m looking at prices through the lens of per ounce, not just what the immediate cost is. This is comparable to other teas I like for the amount you get. The only downside is that my resteep was very lacking despite leaving it to steep about twice as long as the original time.

Nicole

Nooooo! I finally decide to suck it up and get a 2 oz tin of this (during the free $25 shipping, of course) and it is out of stock.

Dry leaf smells of fresh mown hay/clover which brewed a beautiful amber colour tea.

Tastes sweet and slightly malty with a smooth, rich flavour of honey and sweet potato.

I did a comparison with the GM from Teavivre and found theirs to be more fruity and lively in taste with a definite light smoky note (which is my first time recognizing any smokiness in a tea) as compared to h&s. The Harney & Sons seems heavier with more sweet malt. So, to me at this time, Teavivre has more fruit and smoke and H&S has more malt and honey. Both delicious and if I hadn’t done a side by side comparison probably wouldn’t have noticed a difference as it is so slight.

TastyBrew

I’m a big fan of the GM from Teavivre. I need to try this one too!

caile

Both are good! It would be funny though if they were really the same tea and any difference I noticed is simply due to my uneducated tea knowledge.

ashmanra

Both are great, but Teavivre’s is much less expensive. I keep both on hand.

A little honey and caramel twist without the brisk so put this tea on your list or you’ll miss a moment of bliss.

sophistre

Awww. They make tea and they write poetry too. Who knew?

Another sipdown. I thought my cupboard was pretty much at full capacity, but I realized going through it today that I am nearly out of several good teas. Glad I have some new ones on the way to try!

I overleafed a little bit to use up the last of the loose leaf and it was even more enjoyable than last time with bolder flavors. Not getting any cocoa or fruit, but the lovely malt and honey goodness is just right for a chilly winter afternoon. Wonderful!

Experience buying from Harney & Sons http://steepster.com/places/2779-harney-and-sons-online-millerton-new-york

Date of Purchase/Date of Steeping: Bought sample in December 2011; brewed up late-May 2012.

Appearance and Aroma of dry leaf: strong, wonderfully fruity smell (similar to a Darjeeling?) with a hint of a roasted aroma; small, beautifully curled light and dark brown leaves (similar to a quality Yunnan).

Brewing guidelines: almost 5 full TSP tea for 4 cups water; loose in my new ceramic four-cup teapot; stevia added; I used my standard Chinese red tea steeping times and temperatures, steeped five times.

Color and Aroma of tea liquor: Beautiful, clear dark-red color with a faint malty aroma.

Flavor of tea liquor: Good! Similar to an Assam—it was clearly malty—but with a definite Chinese red tea flavor profile (somewhat like a Yunnan, possibly in its sweetness?). Good flavor up through the third steeping, some on the forth, with just a hint of flavor on the fifth.

Appearance and Aroma of wet leaf: A few largish-looking stems but few broken pieces and plenty of nice buds in the wet leaf; I smelled it just after the first steeping and it had a wonderfully sweet aroma.

Value: $3 for the sample, but otherwise $22 / 3OZ. This is clearly a quality tea, but that price-tag is too steep for me (as in, expensive, that is); there are to be plenty of other teashops that carry quality Chinese red teas for a price better than $7/OZ (but maybe none with precisely this kind of flavor profile, hmm?).

Overall: I spontaneously brewed up this sample today, it being the last in the bunch I bought from H&S toward the end of last year. On a side note: having now had about ten Teas from H&S I have to say I am impressed with their offerings such that every Tea (NOT including their tizanes) I have tried has been of commendable quality. As I mentioned in Value this is clearly a quality Chinese red tea. Strangely enough in color and flavor this tea somewhat reminds me of a red ale I helped to home-brew just a few days ago; I like that. I am not willing to pay the normal price for this tea, but still, I’m glad I had a chance to experience it.

red ale?! interesting!

SimpliciTEA

Yes, very interesting indeed to discover a tea that reminds me of beer (in more ways than one).

I asked the friend I brew with what the difference is between a red ale and a standard ale, and he said some of the grains are roasted (there were a total of five different grains for the red ale we just brewed up and he said two of those were roasted) and thus a little darker in color (and it must do something to the flavor also, although other than supposing it is more ‘roasted’, I can’t really say). I hope you don’t mind the brief blurb there about beer-making!

Indigobloom

no no I find it fascinating!! Did you put alot of hops and barley in there? (I’m allergic to hops, kindof)

SimpliciTEA

I’m glad you find it fascinating.

I don’t remember seeing any barley on the ingredients list (the grains come in one really big bag), but there were three different packets of hops that look like green pellets that are added toward the end of the brewing process, and they have the shape of the, uh, stuff that rabbits ‘gift’ to the world hours after a good meal of grass; I know, weird.

Allergic to hops? Bummer. An India Pale Ale is one of my favorite beers, and they are very hop-y (Hey! Sounds like, hoppy, as in, a fitting adjective for those furry, long-eared mammals; maybe that’s why the hops pellets look that way!).

I don’t have the web address of the place he buys the kits from, but Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrewing#Homebrewing_kits lists barley as a part of what commonly goes into the mash. So, it’s probably hiding somewhere in that big ’ol bag of grains. : )

Indigobloom

lol if your hoppy and you know if it drink yer beer! (I mean tea!!)
I do miss drinking my beers though. All of a sudden the hops starting tasting far too bitter and hard to swallow. I’m told in time I will be back to normal. One can hope!

SimpliciTEA

Yes, you can always hope. Good luck!

Ever since tasting Teavivre’s Golden Monkey, this kind of Fujian tea has been near the top of my list of plain blacks. I’ve been very curious about it ever since, especially from someone as trustworthy as Harney & Sons.

The scent is very fruity and complex, characteristic of this kind of blend. I’m definitely getting the aroma of sweet potato. What’s great about the flavor of this tea is that it’s fruity without being fruit flavored, and it’s so very smooth. There is no bitterness, no astringency. Just delicious, almost breadlike taste. I’m also getting light notes of honey. Truly something to savor.

A bit of a warning — this stuff doesn’t like being treated like a traditional black tea. You want to be gentle with it. Give it a shorter steep time and cooler water than you’d usually go with. Otherwise, the flavor gets pretty overwhelming and distorted.

And a bit of a random note, I made this for my stoner friend who always wants a cup when I offer, and he said “This is really good tea…” while crashing cars in Grand Theft Auto IV.

hmmm may have to add this one to my shopping list to try :)

June's Flame

Ooh I love Golden Monkey tea. I will have to try this one. I’ve never had any Harney teas before, what do you think of them?

Tabby

Most of them have been great, but every now and then, I’ll get one that’s just alright. I definitely recommend trying them out!