Baked Bread, Dates, Grapes, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 250 ml

• “Co-worker and I split this sample today. We both quite liked it. Neither of us got any smoke at all, but that's not a bad thing for me. :) Definitely got the dark fruit flavors. This was a much...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 428 tasting notes
  • “I decided to get a sample of this tea from Harney and Sons with my last order and it wasn't in the database yet so I added it this morning. I confess the only other Bohea I have tried is the...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2180 tasting notes
  • “1.5 tsp for 300mL water @100C, steeped four minutes 30 seconds, drunk bare. In a sample. A pale liquor for a black tea, a light bronze. Some honey and dark fruit notes that remind of me the...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 494 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A lovely black tea from the Wuyi Mountains, where black tea was developed.

Dry Leaves: Fairly large twisted black leaves

Liquor: Medium brown

Aroma: Nice dark fruit aromas with hints of smoke (it is from the Lapsang area)

Caffeine Level: Caffeinated

Body: With the big leaves it is light to medium bodied

Flavors: This is a slowly made tea from prime leaves. They are slowly rolled and left to oxidize in cover bamboo baskets that allow limited amount of oxygen into contact with the leaves. This allows for the dark fruit flavors to develop.

Brewing Time: 4 to 5 minutes

Brewing Temperature: 212º F

About Harney & Sons View company

Co-worker and I split this sample today. We both quite liked it. Neither of us got any smoke at all, but that’s not a bad thing for me. :) Definitely got the dark fruit flavors. This was a much lighter cup than either of us expected, given the description. There was something in the background – co-worker suggested maybe a flavor like a green tea – I’m not sure what I think it was but there was an unexpected note for sure.

I will say that this is pretty forgiving. I started steeping, forgot about it, went off to have a short meeting with someone and came back about 8 minutes later. Not a bit of bitterness.

Neither of us thinks we’d keep it around on a regular basis, but if there was a super sale… maybe. :)

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

I decided to get a sample of this tea from Harney and Sons with my last order and it wasn’t in the database yet so I added it this morning.

I confess the only other Bohea I have tried is the Bohea Imperial from Upton Tea which I loved. I was expecting the same love from this as well. :P

The dry leaf smells incredible, I am getting chocolate covered cherries. I steeped this for 4 minutes per H & S suggestion.

This is a very elegant tea, in terms of flavor it is very reminiscent of a wuyi oolong and I adore most of those. It has a definite cherry/plum flavor with a bit of malt and buckwheat. As the cup cools and the flavors become more prominent I am reminded a bit of a red wine. Unfortunately as the cup cools I am getting some bitterness that I’m not really enjoying.

I confess I liked the Upton version better because of the smoky quality… I’m not getting much smoke in this particular Bohea, but I wonder if someone else might perceive it differently? I’d like to try steeping the remainder of the sample I have using the gong fu method. The picture of the tea on their website looks lighter than what I have in my cup so I may have needed to adjust my leaf to water ratio.

I don’t think I will be buying a full size of this but in any case, I look forward to the reviews of others as they come in.

Doug F

Upton’s version was delicious!

TeaBrat

I agree, I LOVE theirs

1.5 tsp for 300mL water @100C, steeped four minutes 30 seconds, drunk bare.

In a sample. A pale liquor for a black tea, a light bronze. Some honey and dark fruit notes that remind of me the Nepal black from the Jun Chiyabi estate. A slight astringency that’s like a very, very subtle bergamot. Light body. Lovely, but I’m not paying $45.00 for 50 grams of it.

TeaBrat

that’s a little nuts

Michelle Butler Hallett

I’ve paid steep money for tea, but it’s been for much better tea. This is really good, just not worth the asking price.

Bonnie

That’s crazy! Nepali Tea Trader’s Himalayan Gold is really good and way less! ($8 or$9 an oz. I think)