Vietnamese Black OP

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by OMGsrsly

• “sample. i was curious how Vietnamese tea taste like. this one is nice mellow sweet and a little malty. if it would be blind testing i would say its blend of Assam and Dargeeling, but very muted....” Read full tasting note
    boychik 405 tasting notes
  • “Surprisingly tasty! This is a rich and, yes, malty tea. I like it. This would probably be DELICIOUS with sweetened condensed milk, but I don't have any left.” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1569 tasting notes
  • “Thanks so much for this one DigniTea! I expect Harney's teas to usually be very astringent for some reason (maybe I was oversteeping them). But this tea is anything but astringent! I'm actually...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1490 tasting notes
  • “This tea has a pleasant malty aroma. It has a malty taste that is rich and sweet. I was really liking this tea, but it lost me with the aftertaste. Kind of like a movie with a great beginning...” Read full tasting note
    A-House 78 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

This tea comes from the far northern mountains of Vietnam. This is the ancestral home to tea. An area that encompasses Yunnan, Laos, Assam, and Vietnam. This tea comes from ancient trees and is done in the traditional ‘orthodox’ method. So the leaves are big, sweet and mellow. Please enjoy this traditional tea.

Dry Leaves: Large twisted leaves with nice golden tips. ‘OP’ refers to Orange Pekoe.
Liquor: Light brown.
Aroma: Light and pleasant aroma of muted malt.
Caffeine Level: Caffeinated
Body : Light.
Flavors: The slightly sweet roasted malt flavors coat the mouth with a silky feel.
Brewing Time: 4 to 5 minutes
Brewing Temperature: 212°

About Harney & Sons View company

sample. i was curious how Vietnamese tea taste like. this one is nice mellow sweet and a little malty. if it would be blind testing i would say its blend of Assam and Dargeeling, but very muted. maybe if i let it steep longer it would be more flavorful but i didnt want to face bitter notes. i added condensed milk to the second cup and it was lovely dessert.

pyarkaaloo

Condensed milk?? you know how to party! i invariably think of tres leches cake when i hear ‘condensed milk’…what a yummy, sinful, scrumptious delight! as for the tea…an Assam/Darjeeling mix sounds quite nice :)

boychik

i always have a can. i rarely add anything to my tea but sometimes i do. I really like Vietnamese coffee so wanted to try the same with tea

Surprisingly tasty! This is a rich and, yes, malty tea. I like it.

This would probably be DELICIOUS with sweetened condensed milk, but I don’t have any left.

Thanks so much for this one DigniTea! I expect Harney’s teas to usually be very astringent for some reason (maybe I was oversteeping them). But this tea is anything but astringent! I’m actually surprised at how sweet it is, even as it cools. I could swear I added sugar… maybe the caramel tea next to it was so strong that it affected it? I love the maltiness of this one. Always love my malty teas. It also has a dried grassy taste as it cools. The second steep was also very nice…almost an identical flavor. This will be a sipdown next time but I’m adding this to my shopping list so I can remember how much I love it.
Steep #1 // 4 min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

This tea has a pleasant malty aroma. It has a malty taste that is rich and sweet. I was really liking this tea, but it lost me with the aftertaste. Kind of like a movie with a great beginning and a bad ending (similar to any M. Night Shyamalan movie made after “The Sixth Sense”).

Flavors: Malt