Anji Black

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store

• “Second tea of the morning…. I splurged! I have had my eye on some of the more premium China black teas at Harney & Sons. The most recent offer of $5 off a $50 order put me over the...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 984 tasting notes
  • “This morning, youngest and I took some time to enjoy a couple of tea samples from Harney and Sons 2015 offerings. She wanted to start with black tea since she had just gotten out of bed. We used...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2027 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

This an ancient tea that has been rediscovered and made into one of the most sought after green teas in China. This is an enchanting black tea version. It stole our hearts!

About twenty years ago, this special cultivar was found in the northern Zhejiang Province, and it has been a big hit ever since. People, including teamen, wax enthusiastically about the great combination of flavors, sweetness, and body. Mike visited Anji on his recent trip to China. While enjoying some lovely green tea, he also had some black tea made at the same tea factory. It was delicious and brought some back for your ( and his) enjoyment. It is a stellar blend of a mouth filling, tongue coating , and honey flavors.

About Harney & Sons View company

Second tea of the morning….

I splurged! I have had my eye on some of the more premium China black teas at Harney & Sons. The most recent offer of $5 off a $50 order put me over the edge. I purchased the last tin of this on site at the time, and a 2 oz. tin of Keemun Treasure. I do think it is the most expensive tea I have purchased to date. My first pot of tea for the day was their Citrus Blend which I will review at a different time, but I love that one, too.

This is….remarkable. Notes of chocolate and honey. The leaves look exactly as they do in the photo….a mass of tight, narrow, dark curls. Mouthfeel is heavy and rich. It is Keemun Mao Feng’s super sweet, unsmokey little sister. Yum. How I wish there was more available. (I just looked….they have some!)

Usual mug method. I am going to shoot for a resteep.

TeaBrat

oooh! sounds lovely

Dinosara

Wow, I have to try this one!

SimplyJenW

My 6 minute resteep is pretty awesome, too!

Eh. Now I don’t see it on the website. :(

Nicole

That sounds awesome!

2027 tasting notes

This morning, youngest and I took some time to enjoy a couple of tea samples from Harney and Sons 2015 offerings. She wanted to start with black tea since she had just gotten out of bed. We used a gong fu set and aroma cup set, but we were steeping just over a teaspoon of leaf for four minutes in boiling water. We made four steeps in all.

The package let out a burst of bready aroma as soon a it was opened. It was so fresh. The steeped tea had an amazing scent in the aroma cup – pure sweet potato complete with brown sugar and the barest hint of cinnamon. Maybe even a touch of butter.

The liquor is pale for a black tea. The flavor is not “pale.” I consider this to be a light bodied tea but the flavor is pure and sweet. I do not taste a lot of the classic “tea” flavor with bread and malt as the scent made me think I might. I believe it would be a terrible injustice to add sugar or especially milk to this tea. It doesn’t need it, and I think it would suffer for it, but since I don’t add anything to my tea anyway, perhaps other people would feel differently.

If you could give someone the essence of a holiday sweet potato dish in a cup, this is it. I would compare it to a fine Golden Monkey (and there is none finer than Harney’s) that has had the breadiness reduced and the malt removed.

After trying a cup of it on its own, I had it with one square of a Godiva strawberry truffle bar. The first sip after the chocolate as heavenly, so I know this is going to pair beautifully with sweets and tidbits at tea time!

Subsequent steeps are pale but flavorful.

SimplyJenW

Love this one! But your review, plus the Harney coupon in my email forced me to buy a pound of Golden Monkey. Yeah, ‘forced’. ;)