Viennese Earl Grey

Black Fruit Blend
Bergamot, Citrus Zest, Green Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Sipdown no. 19 of the year 2014 (a tiny one as there's almost nothing left in my sample)! Steepster is angry with me this morning, I think. I can't "like" anything, get my notices, etc. and when...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes
  • “My tea of the late, late afternoon... I can't decide if I like this one more than Earl Grey Supreme. Light bergamot, very smooth base. I think it will require more testing........ No idea on...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “I am drinking some more of the sample SimplyJenW sent to me. Tis is a very nice Earl Grey. I have had one or two that made me think I was drinking industrial cleaner or perfume, but I have not...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1856 tasting notes
  • “I was so impressed with this Earl Grey, maybe because I wasn't expecting much--it's very nice indeed. The body's a bit lighter than many, and the bergamot isn't heavy but you still get that...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

While visiting tea friends in Vienna, Michael was introduced to a delightful version of Earl Grey. This Viennese style adds Darjeeling into the base blend before the Bergamot is added.

About Harney & Sons View company

So I thought Harney and Sons Earl Grey Supreme was on point, but this stuff rocked my world!!!

I received a shipment from H&S this week and this tea was included as part of my shipment. After being such a fan of the Earl Grey Supreme, I didn’t think it could get much better…boy was i wrong…the Viennese Earl Grey is simply FANTASTIC!

This tea is smooth, smooth, smooth! I must give credit where credit is due and the Darjeeling is definitely a major factor here, smoothing this tea out nicely. The bergmont is just right…pretty powerful when smelling it out of the tin, but just right in the tea. In my opinion the bergmont in a good Earl Grey should just be enough to wake the senses up a bit allowing you to enjoy the base and this tea hits the mark in that regard.

Overall, a nice smooth Earl Grey with a rich flavorful base, finished with th perfect touch of bergmont.

Being new to loose leaf teas, yet obsessively trying new varieties all the time, I stayed clear of any Earl Greys because of my experience with cheap tea bags in the past.
I love darjeeling blacks and I’m slowly appreciating any quality Earl Greys.
This is a great choice. Nicely smooth and light with the Bergamot flavor makes this a perfect choice for me.
I’m looking forward to trying the other choices that Harney offers, because this left a nice impression

I’ve gone through 4 tsp of this tea today. Absolutely cannot sit still. Send help for my coworkers.

Steepster just ate my tribute note:(((

I found out about Mr. Harney passing last night. It is very sad news for our family. i started thinking about my first experience with H&S. It was Paris(of course). My oldest dd was in first grade( she is in 8th now) and one of the parents brought me a tin. she said just try. I was smitten. i was drinking Ceylon or Indian teas exclusively. And flavored teas were not as popular as now. And my obsession began. i used to order fr H&S by pounds to “save money”. But at that time i had only 8 teas in my cupboard.

Today I raise my cup to Mr.Harney with Viennese EG. i find i crave this tea almost every evening (blame ifjuly). its bold and smooth, not soapy. its just right.

Thank you Mr. Harney for making my tea journey a joy.

TheTeaFairy

Lovely note, will add this one to my next order :-)

boychik

or i can send you some later;)

Like, in september? ;-)

boychik

yep, Sept. i saw your stash. love the idea. teapots are gorgeous.

TheTeaFairy

The white and red teapot is Polish but for some reason, it always seemed Russian to me, so now it reminds me of you every time I look at it :-)

boychik

Omg, im honored. its simply gorgeous, i wish i could be just 1/16 gorgeous as this pot.

TheTeaFairy

What is this none sense about comparing your own beauty to that of a teapot????

ifjuly

oh my gosh, i’ve been so out of the loop i had no idea he had passed away…how sad. but i love your log tributes to him! i miss you. i love coming back and reading your log. i hope your summer isn’t too crazy with the hormonal teenage girl drama. (:

Another sample I grabbed in my last order. It was okay – a light feeling earl grey. I’ve had lighter tasting earl greys before but the taste of those were still substantial. The taste of this tea wasn’t strong enough for me.

I have tried many Earl Greys, and this is one that should not be steeped for a full five minutes as recommended. The aroma is good, and the liquor is too. I am definitely buying more.

I swear this has some green tea….perhaps its the Darjeeling thats still green, but I can see it floating in my tea strainer.
A bit different, more mello…I recommend it for a sampler to check it out.