Kenilworth Garden OP

Cocoa, Loam, Malt, Molasses, Oak wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store

From Harney & Sons

From the famous Kenilworth Garden north of the Dimbula area, comes this wonderful Ceylon Tea. Large leaves and full oxidation yield a great Ceylon. This garden has been a consistent favorite of our Ceylon drinkers. It has an especially smooth liquor.

About Harney & Sons View company

With all the kitchen revamping, I have had to move my tea stash. I realized that I seriously need to prune my collection and I am trying to drink some of the older teas. When we first went loose leaf we drank a lot of Ceylons, but then I went to Fujian black, then oolong and green, and I ignored my Ceylons. Snce this one caught my eye, I thought I would try to find out why I had so much of it left after so long.

This was the second tea served at tea party today. We had White Stilton Cheese with Cranberries on crackers and Pepperidge Farm Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookies, as well as Oreos and Danish Wedding Cookies.

The color of the tea as I poured it was so deep and rich, and the flavor was the same! Why didn’t I drink this up when I got it? This is fantastic tea, and my guest loved it, too! The aroma and taste were fruity fruity fruity. I won’t wait long to make this one again.

Azzrian

Oh wow that sounds SO good and I was already thinking I needed a snack lol

Ooh that does sound really good! I need to make myself a hArney and sons order one of these days

It seems that I am discovering a newfound love for Ceylon teas so please excuse me while I drool over this for a while, a delightful sample pack from H & S which I received yesterday. My first Ceylon from Kenilworth as far as I know.

I steeped this via regular teapot method this morning. The leaf of this tea smells absolutely fruity, cherries, berries, a red wine type of juicy fullness. I decided I had to drink the first cup of this plain to see how it is by itself.

Holy Wow Batman! My cup is an exceptionally smooth, dark and chocolate-y elixir with a slight malt aroma. I might have used a bit too much leaf because this is quite strong, but good. If I made this again I would definitely use a bit less leaf. I am picking up on a bit of briskness at the end, a slight bit of tannin, but it does not seem overwhelming. I did take off a few points for the tannins (because I am a wuss with acid reflux) but this could be my fault for the overzealous water to leaf ratio. More experiments clearly need to be done!

I guess there is a reason why the Kenilworth Garden is so very famous. I’m a little saddened that I only got the sample pack of this but luckily I know where to get more. A definite yum in my book.
ashmanra

I bought this one because my hubby mostly just drinks Ceylons. We like it a lot, more than Uva Highlands, I think.

TeaBrat

If I get more, I will need to be a bit gentle… :)

ashmanra

He adds gobs of sugar and milk! LOL! He has only just started liking green and puerh tea, so I am slowly getting him off of so much sugar!

TeaBrat

I don’t add sugar to anything but I can see how this would be a great tea to drink with lots of sugar and milk!

ScottTeaMan

I’ve never had H & S version, because it is quite a bit more expensive than Upton’s which is very good! It’s funny you mentioned cherries & berries. I actually got sweet rosey notes. Nowhere near as strong as their Rose Conguo of course, but much more subtle.

Kenilworth, warm honey toast
we don’t mean to boast
but we find it the most

delicious

Reordered this one instead of UVA Highlands as part of my January restocking. It’s a smooth, not to tannic brew. I can easily get two good steepings from a 1tsp scoop. It has the nice clear, “picture perfect” look of the tea you’d use for an advertising campaign. taste good too! Adjusting my rating upwards based on the last year’s knowledge gain ;-)

Of the few Ceylons I have tried, this is the better of them. Unlike the others, this one has a flavor! (I was starting to doubt Ceylon teas). This one would be a good daily black tea. Not too bold and not too delicate. Notes of warm honey (which I usually don’t like) make this a very comforting drink to have around in the Fall.

ETA: There is another flavor I detect that makes the honey notes more appealing to me, sort of a woodiness I suppose, as one of the other tasting notes described it. It all comes together quite nicely :) And now, I really must return to my reading (Florentin for a German class. . .tea and reading = <3 )

Seems like a good standard ceylon. Definitely a good tea for waking me up in the morning – nothing strange or overwhelming, just a strong foundation.

A warm tea, smooth flavor, no bitterness.

This tea was brisk, but quite smooth with the addition of milk. It is a fine morning tea. I gave it a shorter brew time than some blacks and found that some of leaves were broken enough to escape the filter basket. This is an enjoyable Ceylon tea.

I have been window shopping for a new gaiwan but have hid a real road block. There are just too many that I want, I narrowed my list down to seven that I would be quite content having. I have a feeling that it is going to be a long process trying to narrow it down further. On a fun side note, when searching for ‘green gaiwan’ bing was convinced I was trying to look up Gawain and the Green Knight.

Today’s tea is Kenilworth Garden OP from Harney & Sons, from one of the oldest tea estates in Ceylon…err…Sri Lanka. I am going to admit, whenever I see OP I have myself a little giggle, in tea terms OP means Orange Pekoe and is in reference to the grade of tea. In gamer terms OP means over powered, so it is hard to not assume that this tea is really an overpowered weapon in a PVP game. Enough nerdiness (for now) and onto aroma! The aroma of this tea is rich and sweet, with notes of caramel, malt, molasses, and a tiny hint of cocoa. This aroma has a presence, and that presence is richness. It also has a slightly brisk finish of oak wood which adds a touch of lightness to the smoldering richness.

Once the tea has been steeped and removed from its happy little bath, the aroma of the wet leaves is less sweet and more robust. There are notes of oak wood, molasses, and a touch of pepper at the finish. The liquid is creamy sweet with notes of brisk oak wood and dried leaves on a forest floor (specifically not wet loam.)

Tasting time, let us see if this OP tea is Over Powered! The taste is quite intense and brisk, yet very smooth, with no astringency at all. It starts out brisk and oaky with a touch of loam, this fades to molasses, and lastly loam and pepper at the finish. The mouthfeel is dry, in a lip-smacking good way. In a not terribly surprising turn of events I decided to add some cream and sugar. Doing so cause a minor mouth explosion of happiness, it is so rich with the cream and sugar! The briskness is still there but reduced a great bit, so it is mostly rich and malty. I feel an overpowering need for scones and tiny sandwiches now.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/harney-sons-kenilworth-garden-op-tea.html

Flavors: Cocoa, Loam, Malt, Molasses, Oak wood

This tea has a light, vegetal aroma that reminds me of cooked green beans. The taste is very smooth and bright, with a sweet aftertaste that seems to linger for awhile between sips. It is not very dry at all and I only taste a hint of smokiness. It has a very nice, smooth liquor and goes well with a little cream and sugar, though they are not necessary to appreciate this tea’s flavor.