Hao Ya 'B'

Grain, Honey, Malt, Wheat
Edit tea info Last updated by Ryan Burress

From Harney & Sons

This Keemun is made in late Spring and is a great value tea. It is less intense than Hao Ya A, but still stronger than English Breakfast. It has warm toasty notes with hints of chocolate. Origin: China

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

This brew has a very smokey aroma and a nice, dark color. The flavor is bold and earthy, only slightly bitter, with a crisp, dry finish. I can see this tea being an excellent substitute for black coffee. The flavor is strong enough to be enjoyed without cream or sugar, but they do add a new dimension to the flavor. This Keemun seems to me, at least, to have a rounder, more mouth-filling taste than English Breakfast while still having that dark, slightly smokey Keemun quality you don’t find in an Assam, for example. In general I prefer Indian black teas, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like Hao Ya ‘B’. It is a very satisfying cup of tea.

I got this tea as a gift from Kaliska back in the summer and I’ve been holding on to it. I tried it iced and found that it’s not a very good black tea for that, so I saved it for winter when I’d want it hot.

First of all, this is the first tea I’ve gotten from Harney & Sons that came in both a tin and a foil pouch. Neat! Inside the pouch, the leaves are dark and tiny. Very narrow and fine, but not broken up. They’re so fine that when I scoop them with a teaspoon, I get a very dense amount. That comes into play later.

The resulting tea is hearty and rich, perfect for the first cup of the day. I certainly felt motivated by it! Since you get so much tea leaf per scoop, it’s easy to make it come out strong whether you meant to or not. There’s a hint of bitterness from this preparation, but in a good way. It’s tasty in the way that fancy dark chocolate is tasty. (To be clear, this isn’t a chocolatey tea, I’m just comparing the pleasant bitterness factors.)

I taste notes of honey, malt, wheat, and grains. It’s very satisfying. There’s a fair amount of astringency, but that’s common in keemuns and was expected. Others here on Steepster have called this tea smoky, but I’m not tasting it. Huh. I look forward to going through this tea throughout the winter.

Flavors: Grain, Honey, Malt, Wheat

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I’m new to tea and got this as a sample. It tasted like regular Lipton tea I had growing up.

Not sure I’d drink it again.

I am really undecided about this tea, I disliked it brewed for 5 min and at 3 I wasn’t sure. Will have to have some more. Loved the smell