Mutan White

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Harney & Sons The Store

From Harney & Sons

An excellent introduction to rare white tea. This less expensive white tea has an abundance of silvery white buds and green leaves.

About Harney & Sons View company

I’ve had this sample for a little while but am just getting around to trying it. It’s pretty neat the way it looks like a silver needle but then you also see some tiny green leaves in the package as well. :)

Everyone else is complaining about the heat but it’s chilly here today… brrr. Bring on some more warm tea!

This cup steeps up to be a very light yellow. It isn’t as floral or fruity as some white teas I’ve had recently, but it does have a sweet and rich mouthfeel, almost similar to a green oolong. There’s a slight butteriness and the sweetness really lingers in the finish. As my cup cools, the flavor here reminds me a lot of fresh honeydew melons with a bit of cream.

This is my first mutan white tea but I was very impressed with it, it’s lovely! I would definitely consider buying more of this if I could ever get through the other white teas I have at home…

Another log from tonight — I visited the Harney&Sons soho store (to buy a gift and restock my da hong pao) and figured i’d try to get a white tea. After having so many of 52teas flavored teas with a bai mu dan i’ve been trying to find it. The nice guy at the store pointed it out to me and made me some to try. It was SO delicious. The flavor was subtle and was not grassy or vegetable-like at all. I can’t wait to start steeping this for myself so that I can experiment with the steeping parameters :)

Angrboda

Mutant White???? O.o

Oh. Mutan, not Mutant. Right. Got it. ;p

Jaime

Mutant White Tea: it glows because of the lightning bug genes spliced into its DNA.

Nice mouth feel, a little thicker than you might expect from the color and aroma. The liquor is light amber, and there’s a hint of sweetness in the mostly vegetal flavor. A slight bitterness shows up as the tea cools. This is a pleasant, basic white.

Something this tea taught me is the usefulness of weighing dry leaves. We’re all told “one teaspoon per cup,” with that cup being six or eight fluid ounces depending on who’s talking, but that really only works if your tea comes in small particles. Some orthodox leaves, like Keemun, do that, but the big ones require a lot more tea by volume. Using a small electronic scale that can measure tenths of a gram, I try to measure out 2.2 grams of leaf per six ounces of water, which for Mutan white turns out to be a couple of tablespoons’ worth.

Pleasant, a bit grassy some vegetal notes, satisfying enough for a white