Queen Catherine

Cocoa, Hay, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Overslept because I didn't sleep well last night. Muscles already sore from coughing. Nose and ears still stuffed with cotton. Nauseated from coughing fit. Sneezing fit. Main household toilet...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1845 tasting notes
  • “This tea is perfect. I am hoping so, so hard that I never get sick of it the way I can with many a tea, because it really is as perfect as its "back story" makes it out to be. I read the back story...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “This morning I decided that I absolutely, positively had to have Queen Catherine with a Toasted Everything Bagel with Cream Cheese. There could be no substitutes. Nothing else would do. Of course...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning.... It has been a while since I have had an audience with the Queen. I love the way her subtle strength nudges you into action for the day. Cocoa notes, light malt and a...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

We created this blend of three Chinese black teas in honor of Queen Catherine, who introduced her love of tea to the British. We are privileged to have this tea featured in the Museum of Tea in Hangzhou, China. Harney & Sons is the only Western tea company to receive this honor.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

Backlog.

Last night I was tired and sore from some work I had done around the house. I offhandedly asked my husband if he knew how to make a proper cup of tea. The look on his face was priceless. He’s been a tea drinker far longer than I have, but he uses tea bags, Tetley tea bags to be precise. I guess he thought I impugned his tea honor because he made a beeline for the kitchen and was determined to make my tea. He asked me which tea I wanted and after choosing this one he banished me from the kitchen. The whole thing was really funny. Plus, I was served tea in bed. What’s not awesome about that?

The cup of tea he brought me was wonderful. Slightly smokey with a rich cocoa note. I also really like the strength of the malt note in this tea. It’s strong, but it doesn’t overwhelm the cup. So good! As a bonus, we both had a good laugh over the whole tea making process which made the tea even better. :)

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cheri

Too funny!

Sneaky tea!

I smelled no smoke in the dry leaves. Now, after steeping, it smells like cocoa and tastes like barbecue. I think it could grow on me, despite being smokier than I like. It’s dry in the mouth but I may have oversteeped slightly. It is excellent with cream – smoothes out any rough edges and takes away some of the smoke.

ifjuly

aaah i am so happy you said that. i felt like a crazy person because my first impression ever of this tea was “smoke?! i smell chocolate and vanilla”. i did get the smell later as it cooled but nobody else mentions sweet smells in their logs. i feel so not-as-alone now!

ifjuly

did get the *smoke later, rather.

I keep reading amazing comments about this tea, so I’m having a quick cup to see for myself before leaving for class. I was surprised at the aroma of this tea. The dry leaves smell earthy with a hint of rich cocoa. The tea liquor smells malty with a little hint of smokiness. The flavor is very robust with a light smokey aftertaste. Adding a little sweetener brings out some nice honey notes. I like this tea, but probably won’t purchase more than this little sample pack. I like the honey and malty flavor, but not the smokiness.

-Dry blend has medium black and brown tea leaves and twigs.
-Dry leaves smell like earthy black tea with a hint of cocoa. Tea liquor aroma is malty with a little smokiness.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium golden brown color.
-Strong and robust flavor and finish with honey notes. Light smokey cocoa aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Good tea. Malty and smokey flavor.

Made a cup of this while I was getting dinner ready (pineapple chili). I’ve been in the mood lately for lots of black tea, and I’ve been sipping on Harney’s Malachi McCormick blend just about every day for the last week.

This is both surprising, and delicious. I was not expecting the smoky flavor at all. Having just recently tried a lapsang souchong, I was instantly reminded of that flavor but toned way down. No campfire sensation, just a hint of smoke. On top of that there’s a dark cocoa flavor along with a bit of honey-like sweetness and the slightest hint of malt. This is not astringent at all. Like the Malachi McCormick, this doesn’t knock my socks off, but it’s a really well done black tea blend.

Dry: Medium length black, dark bronze, and golden-tipped black loose leaf. Nicely aromatic and malty with a tiny hint of smoke.

Steeped: Clear medium-brown liquor. Rich and balanced aroma with honey and smoke undertones in the steam rising from the teacup. I’m not getting any spice, but that works for me because I am not a fan of pepper notes anyway.

Taste: I only ordered a sample of this one, but I am kicking myself because I really like it. This is smooth, balanced, and flavorful without being too potent for a peaceful Sunday morning. Malt and soft smoke meets subtle cocoa and rich honey for a lovely tea experience. I definitely note the contributions from the Keemun and Yunnan, but this blend is very nice and doesn’t need anything added to make a great cuppa. If you like Chinese blacks, this one might be a good choice to try out. I will be ordering a full-size tin next time I place a Harney order for sure.

Rosehips

This is a really good cup of tea.

keychange

I just got 4 oz of this and am so excited to try it!

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while now. I’ve read so many rave reviews about this blend. Thankfully, my book club swap buddy Josie Jade had some to share. :)

Heavy and earthy. Reminds me a bit of keemun and yunnan. Smokey and sweet. Like rock sugar and raisins. Savory umami flavor as well. This is an intriguing blend indeed. I have to say though, I don’t like it all too much. Too much savory for me. I’m still learning so much about black tea. :)

Now I get to compare a french press brewed Queen Catherine to one brewed in a tea ball. The liquid is much darker now. It is a nice rich red-brown. Almost approaching the brown I see off of dark beers. It smells even better. Deep and rich. It reminds me of the happy feeling I get off of smelling coffee, only you can tell that the smell is tea.

Now to the taste. It is definitely richer and fuller in the press than it is in the tea ball. I am just getting a hint of cocoa, but I am getting a richer almost smokey thing going on. Not as smokey as Lapsang Souchong, but it definitely has that quality. It is really, really smooth too. No hint of bitterness.

I have been trying to get up earlier to brew tea before class, but I didn’t make it today. Luckily, my teacher cancelled class and I was in the mood for the Queen. I am so glad I made her too. The only bad thing is that I am now out of my sample that Ashley was kind enough to send me. I wonder if I could convince my mom to help me order tea? I think that will work better if I drink up most of the teas I have left. Then I can get more of the Queen.

Finally feeling a little more competent about tea-making, so doing some more sampling today. (Will keep notes short though, to limit time at computer, after a few days ago with swelling that’s left a new set of bruises on my wrist!)

Was unimpressed with H&S Paris, really unimpressed, so didn’t have my hopes too high for this one (though it was sent by cteresa, so they weren’t low either), but really like it a lot. The flavouring is so gentle that it could almost be just the blend of Chinese black teas themselves, which works well for me – especially as I often find cocoa flavours get out of hand. Will try this again, with milk, just to see, but am definitely taken with it! Thanks, cteresa!

ashmanra

This one is an unflavored blend of three Chinese teas. I am, sadly, almost completely out.

Hallieod

Pfft – I’m wondering if they cut some connections in my brain while they were operating! Of course it’s unflavoured – the notes on the H&S website misled me, but my fault.

Oh, Queen Catherine, I am so glad I got a tin of you and not a mere sample! Because I must admit that you have become the magic morning black of my absolute first choice since my first cup of you. You are witty, charming and sweet and I hope I will never have to experience the darkness of your absence. Your servant forever, Kat.

keychange

Oh my gosh, I knew you’d love her. She is incredible.

From the Here’s Hoping Tea Box 3

This black is a straight blend of Keemun, Panyang, & Yunnan with golden tips. Whoa, this is good! Rich, almost cocoay and spice. Really smooth and lots of flavor with no bitterness or dryness. There’s a great sweetness to it, like honey. The tea has a nice fluffy texture. The keemun here adds so much depth. yum!

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML