Queen Catherine

Cocoa, Hay, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Overslept because I didn't sleep well last night. Muscles already sore from coughing. Nose and ears still stuffed with cotton. Nauseated from coughing fit. Sneezing fit. Main household toilet...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1856 tasting notes
  • “This tea is perfect. I am hoping so, so hard that I never get sick of it the way I can with many a tea, because it really is as perfect as its "back story" makes it out to be. I read the back story...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “This morning I decided that I absolutely, positively had to have Queen Catherine with a Toasted Everything Bagel with Cream Cheese. There could be no substitutes. Nothing else would do. Of course...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning.... It has been a while since I have had an audience with the Queen. I love the way her subtle strength nudges you into action for the day. Cocoa notes, light malt and a...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

We created this blend of three Chinese black teas in honor of Queen Catherine, who introduced her love of tea to the British. We are privileged to have this tea featured in the Museum of Tea in Hangzhou, China. Harney & Sons is the only Western tea company to receive this honor.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

Such high hopes I had for this tea. All y’all love it so much. I like it fine. I just don’t love it. It is slightly too bright to be a tea I love and the smokiness to me went a little too far in the creosote direction at the back of the sip. It’s not off-putting, but I like a smoky flavor a bit rounder, more mellow and a bit less sharp.

More about it (and its song) here:

I’m going wait to rate it because it could grow on me.

whatshesaid

Hmm I took a risk and ordered it, I won’t get it until July though, hopefully I will like it!

Following on mj1851 ’s great suggestion of having a Harney & Sons tribute day, I’ve decided to drink Queen Catherine this morning…

I have placed my first H&S order only this year. I had been looking at their teas with envy for quite a while before that.

Buying H&S teas feels like buying fancy French teas. They are the only North American store that makes me feel this way.

They just ooze elegance and sophistication. Mr. Harney left quite a legacy to his sons…

Queen Catherine is the quintessence of what morning tea should be.

it’s bold enough, strong enough, full bodied enough, tasty enough.

But it also feels fancy and luxuriously rich. It’s royal and majestic!

She is The Queen , after all.

What a great idea mj1851 ,

Happy H&S tea day everyone!

MzPriss

I will be having the Golden Monkey. Sadly, I don’t love the Queen. Don’t hate her – but won’t order again after the 4 oz I have is gone. But the Golden Monkey is dreamy! And I am home where all the tea is. Happy me!

TheTeaFairy

Yay! Home sweet home :-)
That Golden Monkey sounds dreamy, will make it part of next H&S order.

MzPriss

I’m pretty sure you will LOVE the GM. And pssssst…I’m sending you a message :)

Somehow I managed to delete my earlier note when I was trying to correct a typo. Anyway, I got this in a trade today from DeliriumsFrogs, thanks! I liked it so much I finished it all in one sitting. While it was a hearty dark tea, I don’t know that it was that different than others I have had.

In other news, I ordered my first gaiwan and cup set, in anticipation of the Butiki educational boxes. So exciting!

Veronica

I think this was the first non-flavored black I fell in love with. Soooo good.

DeliriumsFrogs

ooooh! I’m so excited that you’re getting a gaiwan! I absolutely love mine. The way it transforms the tea drinking experience is unreal—that it divides it into acts instead of one infused cup… it’s really magical. :)

I didn’t log anything I drank yesterday (or over the weekend, for that matter, but I always fall behind on the weekend…), feeling off-ish and not as attentive to what was in my tea cup as I’d like. So, it’s nice to ‘think’ more about that today….it’s calming and meditative. :)

It was sunny and 80°F for most of yesterday, and now it’s 37°F and rainy, so I figured a cup of The Queen would do me some good.
I love this tea. I love opening the tin, with the soft smoky aroma and bright edges of the blend.
Your Majesty, I am honoured to be in your presence, Ma’am.
You know what I love so much about The Queen? She’s sophisticated, but so comfortable…..so welcoming. She’s equally right at home in my finest tea cup, or doubled in my biggest mug (with my feet up, cuddled under a blanket, with Netflix all queued up and ready to go….). She’s layered without being overly complicated.
Yeah, she needs a permanent place in my tea drawer. :)

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
keychange

I will follow you now and we will worship the queen forever more!!

Marzipan

Looks like one I need to find!

DeliriumsFrogs

I’m all for shared Queen worship! lol

Marzipan

Soooo what else should I order from Harney?

ifjuly

I totally agree about how she’s fancy/complex, yet comfortable. Yes! That is exactly why she’s so wonderful, and unique. I can haul her in a to-go tumbler for Saturday errands just to get me awake, or I can sit alone at the breakfast nook and enjoy the balance of smoke with brightness with sweetness.

I hope you’re feeling better. teahug.

DeliriumsFrogs

Exactly, ifjuly! And teahug right back at ya’. :)

Marzipan, I’m by no means a Harney expert, only having bought a tiny bit of what they offer. But, I love Florence, and Paris is delightful. If you didn’t hate coconut (and, I totally understand how that flavour could be one of those bad memory type flavours….I loved how you said if you taste it, all that you think of is suntan lotion. lol!), I’d tell you SoHo is a great flavoured tea…but it’s coconut, so stay away!. I ordered the Rose Scented on a whim, and ifjuly told me afterwards that it’s a ‘thing’ to mix Queen Catherine with Rose Scented (it’s really good!). Harney is great…. :)

The Queen and I have been having morning dates this week. It has been a gloomy week and she has been the perfect cup to get my morning going. I have been enjoying the roasty taste and mellow cup she provides.

Had this yesterday at afternoon tea. Not a fan. Too smoky, although I do have to admit the smoke flavor was smooth. Maybe it would be a good tea to pair with a meat dish for those who aren’t vegetarian. Ooh, or smoked salmon!

2012 tasting notes

I am not a lover of straight blacks but keychange speaks so highly of this that I just had to see what all the fuss was about. Tbh though, I have been putting off having it because I did not want to take a sip, think it was just okay, and then disappoint keychange. However, I decided to delay it no longer. I am happy to report that it is actually quite good. Smooth and with a hint of malty chocolate. A very pleasant brew and I can certainly see why keychange regards it so highly. For my tastes, this won’t be the tea I reach for every morning but it is also not a tea I would ever say no to if offered a cup. Thank you so much keychange for sending me a sample of your beloved tea. I am happy I got a chance to try it.

keychange

Fuck yeah!! (sorry, I don’t typically swear all over the place, but yeah!!). And I’m so glad you genuinely liked it—because hey, if you didn’t, it’s ok—more queen for me LOL!!

VariaTEA

Haha. I don’t think I would get a whole 4 oz tin but I will certainly enjoy the rest of the sample. Thank you for sharing. I felt bad putting it off so long because I know I always get excited when people review Japon.

Cavocorax

Yay! Glad you liked it!
(Fuck yeah! Hahah. Bc you did it)

I’m sort of new to teas. At least anything beyond Lipton and Celestial Seasonings. I ordered a sample of this one based on the great reviews. After finishing my sample, I hate to say that I don’t think I’d re-purchase this. It took me a few cups to pinpoint what I don’t like about it— it’s the smoky notes. I don’t think I like that flavor in teas. I like strong English Breakfast teas and Irish Breakfast teas, and I was crazy about Harney’s East Frisian blend. But sadly, I’ll have to pass on the Queen.

4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Today is quite the daunting tasting note day – first I take on Tribute, and now this?

In this case, however, we can just go ahead and blame my complete lack of interest in plain blacks. There is exactly one such previous review by me on all of Steepster, namely this one: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/185089

So I suppose I could have just left this in the box, but the same thing always happens – time passes, and I forget my resolve to just avoid unflavoured blacks altogether, and there I am again, with a cup of something that seemed intriguing.

The Queen is special, though – she’s all over my dash and I really had to see what all the fuss was about. Unlike the Nine Dragon Golden Needle tea previously reviewed, I didn’t enjoy the scent of the dry tea at all. The base tea simply isn’t for me. One day I need to talk to Dinosara or Sil or whoever else it is who’s so unfathomably knowledgeable about which leaf is which and why and how, because I’m completely lost beyond, ‘Oh, I tend to enjoy Mariage Frères black base tea, and, uh, also Lupicia’s green base tea, which people keep telling me is something commonly referred to as a ‘sencha’, whatever that means.’

Seriously – that is all the game I’ve got.

No, the dry tea doesn’t do it for me, and neither does the brewed liquid, neither nose-, nor taste-wise. This is one of those that make me feel like I’m licking a seat belt in our old Mercedes – I know I’ve gone there before, with the hot plastic and the scorching summer sun and the scent of all that heat and how the belt half-burned my exposed skin as my mother buckled me in.

I don’t want to drink our old Mercedes.

Also I’m quite the convinced anti-monarchist, so this Queen business will really have to be conducted elsewhere. (Unless we’re talking about some delicious dudes in drag, because if so, bring them on.)

More for the rest of you.

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]

keychange

Oh my!! and I’m a fairly staunch anti-monarchist here also, so perhaps we can bond over that—and not our affair with this tea.

Ysaurella

for a French, monarchy in 21th Century sounds really weird. You know the kind of murderers we are…even if our president’s role is typically a King’s role…we are crazy !

Kat_Maria

Oh my gosh! I love this freakin’ tea :D Good to know you’re not interested in plain black teas, though, before I intend to swap you any ;D

I don’t consider this a breakfast tea as some have named it. A little too mild for me.