Golden Blend

Caramel, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

• “I am taking a long hard look at my tea shelves to decide what should stay and what should go. There are a few teas I would like to buy but I really don't think I should until I get rid of, or at...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “Courtesy of *ashmanra,* something to smile about this morning. Love the way the golden monkey makes the Assam a little sweeter and juicier. I can see how it would be milk and sugar friendly, but...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1630 tasting notes
  • “Another little sample I had this morning in my to go mug, and I quite liked it! I really love Golden Monkey, but it's not a tea I get often since it's pricey, and I can drink all of it really fast...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I enjoyed this quite a bit. A sweet aroma that reminds me of dark raisins. The tea is very flavorful with notes of caramel, chocolate, earth, wood and malt. A very rugged sort of...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A new blend of Golden Monkey from Fujian Province and Assam FTGFOP, that makes a great tea that is very solid. If one’s bent was towards milk and sugar, that would not be a problem.

About Harney & Sons View company

I am taking a long hard look at my tea shelves to decide what should stay and what should go. There are a few teas I would like to buy but I really don’t think I should until I get rid of, or at least sip down, a few that I already have.

This is one my youngest daughter loves but I am just meh about it. I decided to try changing my steeping parameters today to see if I would fall in love with it. I used 205 F water and gave it only 3 1/2 minutes. It is now quite drinkable for me with no additions but I can’t say I am in love with it. And like many Assams, this has made my tummy say, “Rrrrr?” and raise its eyebrows. Maybe I will just tell daughter to drink it up or let me give it to a friend who is just getting into loose leaf tea.

Azzrian

Just move it into her room so its “out” of your stash and makes a spot for a new one haha

K S

My favorite thing about Assams is they led me to Chinese teas.

Courtesy of ashmanra, something to smile about this morning. Love the way the golden monkey makes the Assam a little sweeter and juicier. I can see how it would be milk and sugar friendly, but you know me—prefer it straight up, no additives.

Another little sample I had this morning in my to go mug, and I quite liked it! I really love Golden Monkey, but it’s not a tea I get often since it’s pricey, and I can drink all of it really fast when I do.

This was nice and robust thanks to the Assam, but not too strong to be drank by itself, sans milk and sugar. There was also a spicy note in this that I don’t typically associate with Assam or Golden Monkey, but it was nice. Just kind of like, interesting spicy flavor…I don’t recognize this…but not bad! I don’t think this is a blend I’ll get for every day, but I am continually impressed by the quality of Harney’s black tea blends for the price. The Malachi McCormick remains my favorite, and let’s be honest, it’s probably because Rayn is a McCormick. ;)

Backlog:

I enjoyed this quite a bit. A sweet aroma that reminds me of dark raisins. The tea is very flavorful with notes of caramel, chocolate, earth, wood and malt. A very rugged sort of blend. Savory and sweet.

There is a bake-y/cake-y kind of taste to this, and the dark raisin note that I mentioned from the aroma is present in the taste too, giving it almost a ‘raisin bread’ kind of taste.

A really pleasant morning tea, but would be equally as nice as an afternoon cuppa.

I loved this blend. The mix of Assam and Golden Monkey was perfect; the flavors complemented and enriched each other. I liked Golden Monkey, but did not love it, but the combination with the Assam gave it depth and richness. Flawless!

ashmanra

Everyone’s tastes are so different! I adore Golden Monkey and I am struggling to get through my tin of this one. My youngest daughter likes it, though, so I haven’t sent it to a new home. It is just a bit harsh for me.

…interesting! I’ve not had Golden Monkey, so this is new for me. The tea smelled malty and a touch smoky while steeping, but now that I’ve added milk and sugar, I’m getting a caramel note with the malt and the smoky has disappeared. There is a bit more astringency in this tea that I expected by Harney’s rating of 2….for me it would perhaps be a 3 on their scale. I just had a Nilla Wafer with this tea (astringency and my stomach aren’t particularly friends), and afterwards I got a blast of almost citrus notes from the tea….that was weird! ok, I just did it again…. cookie chemistry!
Sorry, I digressed. This is a nice cup of tea, a nice option to a straight Assam. I’m sure I’ll use the sample up, but beyond that, who knows!

Flavors: Caramel, Malt

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Not great, a little earthy, a little spicey, just ok

Yummy. Not as good as Golden Monkey. Very good with heavy cream or Irish cream and somethign sweet – honey or sugar.

I bought this thinking it would be a cheaper alternative to Assam Golden Tips. It’s a good tea, but I really like the Golden Tips better. I am glad I only have a sampler of this one..