Golden Blend

Earth, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Stonefruits, Caramel, Cocoa, Flowers, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I am taking a long hard look at my tea shelves to decide what should stay and what should go. There are a few teas I would like to buy but I really don't think I should until I get rid of, or at...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1817 tasting notes
  • “Courtesy of *ashmanra,* something to smile about this morning. Love the way the golden monkey makes the Assam a little sweeter and juicier. I can see how it would be milk and sugar friendly, but...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1707 tasting notes
  • “Another little sample I had this morning in my to go mug, and I quite liked it! I really love Golden Monkey, but it's not a tea I get often since it's pricey, and I can drink all of it really fast...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I enjoyed this quite a bit. A sweet aroma that reminds me of dark raisins. The tea is very flavorful with notes of caramel, chocolate, earth, wood and malt. A very rugged sort of...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A new blend of Golden Monkey from Fujian Province and Assam FTGFOP, that makes a great tea that is very solid. If one’s bent was towards milk and sugar, that would not be a problem.

About Harney & Sons View company

I am taking a long hard look at my tea shelves to decide what should stay and what should go. There are a few teas I would like to buy but I really don’t think I should until I get rid of, or at least sip down, a few that I already have.

This is one my youngest daughter loves but I am just meh about it. I decided to try changing my steeping parameters today to see if I would fall in love with it. I used 205 F water and gave it only 3 1/2 minutes. It is now quite drinkable for me with no additions but I can’t say I am in love with it. And like many Assams, this has made my tummy say, “Rrrrr?” and raise its eyebrows. Maybe I will just tell daughter to drink it up or let me give it to a friend who is just getting into loose leaf tea.

Azzrian

Just move it into her room so its “out” of your stash and makes a spot for a new one haha

K S

My favorite thing about Assams is they led me to Chinese teas.

Courtesy of ashmanra, something to smile about this morning. Love the way the golden monkey makes the Assam a little sweeter and juicier. I can see how it would be milk and sugar friendly, but you know me—prefer it straight up, no additives.

Another little sample I had this morning in my to go mug, and I quite liked it! I really love Golden Monkey, but it’s not a tea I get often since it’s pricey, and I can drink all of it really fast when I do.

This was nice and robust thanks to the Assam, but not too strong to be drank by itself, sans milk and sugar. There was also a spicy note in this that I don’t typically associate with Assam or Golden Monkey, but it was nice. Just kind of like, interesting spicy flavor…I don’t recognize this…but not bad! I don’t think this is a blend I’ll get for every day, but I am continually impressed by the quality of Harney’s black tea blends for the price. The Malachi McCormick remains my favorite, and let’s be honest, it’s probably because Rayn is a McCormick. ;)

Backlog:

I enjoyed this quite a bit. A sweet aroma that reminds me of dark raisins. The tea is very flavorful with notes of caramel, chocolate, earth, wood and malt. A very rugged sort of blend. Savory and sweet.

There is a bake-y/cake-y kind of taste to this, and the dark raisin note that I mentioned from the aroma is present in the taste too, giving it almost a ‘raisin bread’ kind of taste.

A really pleasant morning tea, but would be equally as nice as an afternoon cuppa.

I loved this blend. The mix of Assam and Golden Monkey was perfect; the flavors complemented and enriched each other. I liked Golden Monkey, but did not love it, but the combination with the Assam gave it depth and richness. Flawless!

ashmanra

Everyone’s tastes are so different! I adore Golden Monkey and I am struggling to get through my tin of this one. My youngest daughter likes it, though, so I haven’t sent it to a new home. It is just a bit harsh for me.

This sample came from the lovely Nicole. I was unsure which teas are in this blend, so I looked it up on their website: apparently it’s golden monkey mixed with Assam. I don’t really have any experience with Assam, but it seems like (judging from other people’s notes) that it’s generally a very bold and strong type of tea. The dry leaf here looks similar to other less-tippy Yunnan teas – small, thin black leaves with just a few tips included. Normally, this would make me less excited to try it, as generally the less-tippy Yunnan teas have that heavy earth/mineral flavor, but since I know it’s golden monkey, I know this won’t be the case. Hooray! I don’t get a ton of dry scent from the leaves, just a sense of sweet stonefruit. I did my usual 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Hmm, I can definitely smell the Yunnan here, the brewed aroma has plenty of malt with baked bread and apricot notes. It’s been a while since I’ve had Golden Monkey from Harney, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

This tastes chiefly of raw, chewy grain to me, which is not a bad thing! I’m reminded of all the Shang teas I’ve tried lately. There’s definitely malt and a little bit of a stonefruit essence. I get quite a bit of earthiness, but it’s not mineral or smoky, so it’s a nice mellow earth taste. There’s just a little bit of a rich molasses flavor that pairs nicely with all of that graininess.

Overall, I can’t really differentiate between the two teas, which I guess means they go well together. It’s been too long since I’ve had the Golden Monkey plain! Someday, I’ll explore Assams… ;)

Flavors: Earth, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Stonefruits

Ost

Yes! Come on an Assam Trek with me! :P It will be funnnnn!

Cameron B.

Well technically I did order two Taiwanese Assams from Butiki! :)

Ost

That’s a start! XD

I ordered a couple samples of this with my last order. I was hoping it would be a less pricy alternative to the Golden Monkey.

I love love love Golden Monkey.

This tea is not Golden Monkey.

I can see where it has that bold Assam aspect to it, but the only real notes I can pick up are a slight smoky note, subtle spiciness, and vague raisins. No maltiness, no cocoa for me.

Nothing like the flavour explosion of GM.

I had this straight up, but I think it begs to be tried with milk or cream.
That’s how I like my Assam. To my tongue, this is more of an Assam than a honey golden tippy type of tea.

I have more than enough to try again! But when it comes down to my next H&S order, it’s the monkey all the way.

boychik

Have you tried GM from Teavivre ?

whatshesaid

I sure have!
I lovvvvved it and will be ordering some when their black teas go on sale in August!

boychik

And the price is amazing too. I still have some from last summer. Too much tea….

I’m glad I waited to try this at work before rating it. When I had it here at home, even with spring water, it wasn’t really standing out. I was looking at the price for a pound and thinking “Wow, really? I would never pay that much for this. Glad I only got 2 ounces.” After having it at work today, it turned into a nice, mellow, smooth blend. Honey and cocoa and medium maltiness. I wouldn’t pick it over Golden Monkey alone but for being the best of both worlds, it’s really very good. I guess when I do it at home I need to err on the low side of water temperature. Can’t really get above about 185-190 at work I think.

boychik

Did you try it in store? Sounds delicious !

TeaTiff

How is it different than Golden monkey taste wise?

Nicole

I think I did try it in the store. So it must have impressed me there. :)

Nicole

@TeaTiff: It’s milder. Blend a golden monkey with a good, medium tippy Assam. A milder malt, not as much cocoa, not as much honey but with more mild fruity notes maybe.

This tea is growing on me….ok not literally (weird mental picture) but the first time I drank this, I didn’t know exactly how to categorize it in my head….I’d never had Golden Monkey and my tasting experience with Yunnan was minimal. I am now fully immersed in exploring Yunnans and other Chinese tea, so I see this tea differently than I did 3 weeks ago. This is smooth, but not “just” smooth. This is subtle, but not “just” subtle. The assam kicks the Golden notes up to the top of the flavor profile and fills in the bottom with strong malt and cocoa/caramel notes. This fills one of those “gaps” inbetween teas, when you don’t want an assam, but need more than a “golden” tipped tea. Lovely.

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Flowers, Honey, Malt

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Sami Kelsh

Ooh, this sounds really pleasant!

Not great, a little earthy, a little spicey, just ok