Tropical Green

Fruit Green Blend
Pineapple, Sweet, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I was pretty horrified when I realized this tin was about one year old now, so I have been drinking it more frequently. The flavor hasn't suffered enough for me to tell. I am trying to get...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1828 tasting notes
  • “What a tasty tea! I think that this was such a great purchase for a few reasons. First, the presentation is really lovely. I love the tin that these come in and I'll be able to keep it around even...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 538 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning. I was in the mood for sweet and fruity today, and the pineapple in this is exactly what I was wanting. I also enjoy the base tea. It has a bright grassy note that's strong...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 733 tasting notes
  • “Ok.. I'm logging this here even though I question if it's right or not. Ricky and Carolyn will like this one cuz we've had convos about pineapple greens. Mom and my aunt had to go to the mall for...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Hand-blended green teas from India with marvelous tropical flavor – pineapple is the dominant flavor, and that’s why we love it. Discover this fresh twist on traditional greens.

About Harney & Sons View company

Argh, steeped it too long and got it bitter. Loved the pineapple scent. This may be the pineapple flavored tea of my dreams, if I don’t mess it up. Waiting to rate until I can do it justice.

ashmanra

My daughter and I love this one! Hope it steeps better for you next time!

Barb

Oh, I feel sure it will. This was definitely a case of operator error — I got distracted reading about it and lost track of the time, LOL!

Can we say “tropical fruit explosion?” It’s really good! (If you love pineapple, that is!) I do. It smells tropical from the moment the packet is opened. It retains it’s scent even after steeping. 165/1 min – I hate getting vegetal greens with fruity flavors, so I really dropped the temp and steep times. I love this tea! It will make a wonderful summer iced tea. The green is nice and slightly grassy, the fruit flavors are blended splendidly. I’m very satisfied with it! (Phew, one less sample bag in the stash…)

ashmanra

Sigh. Adding it to my next order, which just keeps getting bigger and bigger…

QuiltGuppy

They have so much to choose from. Orders there so easily grow to astronomical sizes.

A sample from Courtney. This is the second tropical green I’ve tried, and my second Harney and Sons. There’s a poetry to all this somewhere, isn’t there? Dry, it smells amazing. It’s a pretty generic “tropical” scent, and it reminds me of Five Alive or something like that, but it’s mouthwatering all the same. I’m assuming from looking at the leaves that this is sencha. They’re folded, but quite broad and flat, and a fairly dark green. I’ve had some good experiences with sencha, so I’m looking forward to this!

Brewed, the liquor is a very pale yellow-green, and it smells delicately fruity. There’s a slight underlying grassy note from the green tea, and the overall effect is pleasant and encouraging. Not many flavoured greens I’ve tried have been anything but a deep yellow verging on brown, so this makes for a welcome change.

To taste, the tropical flavouring isn’t quite as strong as I’d hoped it would be. It’s there, but it’s pretty delicate. The green tea base is equally subtle, though, so I’ve no complaints on that front. I can taste tropical fruit in the initial sip, but it’s not a lingering taste, and soon gives way to the grassy sweetness of the sencha. It’s very smooth and not at all astringent, but I had hoped for a little more punch.

While not bad, as flavoured greens go, it lacks the depth of flavour to really make it in my estimation. Not bad by any means, though.

I might re-buy this tea for the sole purpose of cold-brewing it. I really REALLY REALLY REALLY love the scent of this tea. It’s a very powerful pineapple scent. I wish it translated better into the hot brewed tea, but I was satisfied enough with a cold brew. It’s not very tropical either, but I inexplicably would rather have this iced than hot.

Iced

ooh good to know.

Lindsay

I should mention that it wasn’t at all astringent after an 8-hour steep.

The jagged dark green leaves remind me of a Japanese Bancha or maybe even a Sencha. The aroma is predominently pineapple, though I detect either guava or passion fruit in the mix as well.

When brewed the liquor produced is a wonderful yellow hue. The aroma is more subdued than from it’s dry leaf counterpart, but still plenty aromatic with the scents literally discernable from another room.

The flavors are a veritable street fight between the vegetal green tea and the pineapple. It’s difficult to say which is most dominent here. The finish and tail are primarily of the vegetal style though.

This was a lovely light tea. The pineapple is the dominant flavour as stated. I very much enjoyed this and I’ll enjoy the remainder of my sample. I most likely won’t repurchase as it wasn’t overly amazing. I’m out of room in my tea cupboard and Bamboozled should do the trick for me :)

After being scolded a few times by my husband for buying yet more tea when we have a ridiculously full tea cabinet (seriously, I’m storing some of the “bagged tea in boxes” in a basket on the counter), he snapped this up at the tea booth at a local antique mall, along with a few other Harney&Sons blends. We also snapped up 4 other H&S teas that day!

In the tin: Wow, this smells great! Not quite like fresh pineapple, not like candied pineapple, and definitely not like suntan lotion – but it reminded me of all of those scents. The little bags are adorable! Pyramids with a string and tag. The bag itself is made of what I suspect is nylon, but am too lazy to go look up. The bags are fairly transparent, but stronger and finer than typical “paper” teabag material. The tea leaves inside are, for the most part, whole leaves; of course, there are smaller bits at the bottom of the bag, but nowhere near what I would term “fannings”. The string seems to be good quality kitchen cotton string that is just long enough to fit my giant mug, and the tag is just big enough without being a “tag” hanging off the side of the mug. I’ve read great things about H&S teas on here, had a great experience with their Apricot at a tea room recently, and so far, I’m really liking this one. I’m also amazed at how much the leaves swelled in the bag! Followed the recommendation for brew time (3 minutes) and water temp (170F) listed on the tin. So glad I have an electric kettle with preset buttons for the different tea varieties and recommended temperatures!

In the cup: The tropical scent was still very present in the liquid. The flavor is delicate, without tasting like “new mown grass” like other green teas I’ve had in the past (and what put me off green teas for a good while). I tried a few sips straight, and didn’t hate or love the flavor. I added one small spoonful of unbleached cane sugar and the pineapple sweetness popped.

Tropical green is definitely a green I like and can see myself drinking on a regular basis.

yum. A nicely flavored green. Not too strong-the pineapple dominates, but I swear I taste & smell guava. Nice. The green tea flavor is present and really nice. Slightly sweet, as well.

Usually steep this one for 3 minutes. Left it in a bit longer accidentally and it seems to get a bit bitter.

Very simple green tea. I swapped for this tea from loupea. Would be nice iced. Pineapple is slight. It was ok hot, but iced would probably suit this tea.