Green Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Freshly Cut Grass, Spinach
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Bancha is used as a base for so many different teas. We see it in stuff Frank over at 52teas makes. We see it in most bagged green teas. We even see it in iced green teas and as a base for blended...” Read full tasting note
    tea-guy 120 tasting notes
  • “As employees here at the store we are so spoiled by the ability to drink any tea at our fingertips, that most of the time those fingers reach for those high end exclusive teas. We forget that...” Read full tasting note
    harneytea 157 tasting notes
  • “I understeeped this last time and didn't really like it, but I tried it again today and I think it's interesting. It's lighter than I expected, not really delicate but not heavy, and a little...” Read full tasting note
    karykeion 54 tasting notes
  • “I just finished my sample of this, and I should note that I used all of my sample at work where the water and/or electric kettle somehow makes tea taste a bit different than (not as good as) the...” Read full tasting note
    chrimabro 124 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Bancha is a great value for Japanese teas. It has a nice vegetal flavor and no smokiness.

About Harney & Sons View company

Bancha is used as a base for so many different teas. We see it in stuff Frank over at 52teas makes. We see it in most bagged green teas. We even see it in iced green teas and as a base for blended greens like Genmaicha. This Bancha from Harney & Sons is a nice quality brew.

The thick gritty looking green leaves put off a nice grassy smell. The flavor is a bit more astringent than I expected, but contains notes of collard greens, steamed brussels sprouts and a vegetal smoothness similar to artichoke.

I recommend this tea to fans of any Japanese green tea, be it Genmaicha, Hojicha or Spring Rose tea. Fans of the more shade grown teas from Japan such as Gyokuro or other Fukamushi style teas may find this tea hit or miss.

Cofftea

Tea-Guy- are you talking for 52teas’ flavored green blends? That’s actually Chinese Sencha.

Tea-Guy

Senchas in general are also used in a great many blends. But I do believe I have a 52teas blend of two with the Bancha in it. I’ll need to make a run back through my stash to be certain.

As employees here at the store we are so spoiled by the ability to drink any tea at our fingertips, that most of the time those fingers reach for those high end exclusive teas. We forget that something so simple as Bancha, a Japanese green tea whose leaves are a bit larger and rougher than that of Sencha, can be equally as enjoyable as something twice its price.

Bancha has a much nuttier flavor than that of Sencha, but it is easy to drink and compliments meals well.

Jillian

And yet it doesn’t seem too popular with you guys. ;)

I kid – I’m glad that youy guys are honest and don’t give every single one of your teas a score of 100. :D

I understeeped this last time and didn’t really like it, but I tried it again today and I think it’s interesting. It’s lighter than I expected, not really delicate but not heavy, and a little astringent but not overpoweringly so. Also, it doesn’t really taste like nori, which is a first for me with Japanese greens! It’s vegetal and a little bitter, but not bad at all. Kind of a nice backup Japanese green to have around, I think, and I’m glad I bought it.

I just finished my sample of this, and I should note that I used all of my sample at work where the water and/or electric kettle somehow makes tea taste a bit different than (not as good as) the tea I make at home. In any case, this was a perfectly pleasant green tea. It’s not my top-favorite green tea (although most plain green teas I’ve had have tasted very similar), but it’s certainly a good tea and I enjoyed every cup of it.

(Sample from silentrequiem. Thanks!)

This was the last sample from Harney & Sons that I hadn’t tried. Eleven samples in about a week or so, not too bad! This is my first straight bancha, but I’ve had it in genmaicha before so I kind of knew what to expect. The leaves are flat and similar to sencha, but rougher and more broken. Smells like grass, grass, grass with some hay and dry leaves. At first I steeped for a minute, but did a quick taste and then let it go another 30 seconds.

Brewed, it smells similar to the dry but with the addition of a little spinach. Wow, the taste! It’s extremely bright and grassy in the beginning. Almost sharp, but not unpleasantly. It’s like spring! The back half of the sip is more vegetal and I get that autumn leaf taste. Overall, not bitter and not as “rough” as I might have expected. I can see this being good with a meal, though it’s not something I’d drink daily.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Freshly Cut Grass, Spinach

Great value tea, $20/lb.

Nice grassy flavor without too much bitterness, hints of hay and a sandy beach in autumn. Steeps are good up until the 3rd, maybe even the 4th brew. Watch out for water temp and over brewing.

I agree with the artichoke and hints of brussle sprout flavors suggested by “Tea-Guy”, I find these nice. There is also a distinct nut aftertaste, somewhat like walnuts. The tea also provides a great psychological buzz and concentration not unlike that of a Sencha.

I like to use a lot of this tea and reduce the steep time by half. This creates a nice progression of brews. First brew maybe only 30 seconds, subsequent brews add 30s to the previous brew time.

Overall, fantastic everyday green japanese tea.