Decaf Sencha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Ryan Burress

• “This was an interesting one, and I am so happy that I could try it out! I'm really sensitive to caffeine, so I can only have it before noon if I'm going to get any sleep that night. I just recieved...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 251 tasting notes
  • “(1.6 grams, 6 oz water): Light nose with straw aroma. The taste is light and crisp with notes of straw and grass. Initial impression: not very strong; Short finish. Developed a bit more flavor...” Read full tasting note
    Dr Jim 108 tasting notes
  • “*Aroma:* Light straw *Liquor Color:* Darker yellow *Liquor Flavor:* Smooth, light straw/grass *Notes:* Not as flavorful as a regular good quality sencha. Not much of a taste going on. Very light....” Read full tasting note
    winterqueen27 112 tasting notes
  • “I am on a diet that only allows me to have one caffeinated drink per day, so I ordered a bunch of decaf teas from H&S. I bought this so I could mix it with their roasted buckwheat tea to make a...” Read full tasting note
    ashleyelizabeth 192 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

We now offer our first decaffeinated green tea. Popular Chinese Sencha is the base tea. Now you can finally have green tea and reduce your caffeine intake.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

This was an interesting one, and I am so happy that I could try it out! I’m really sensitive to caffeine, so I can only have it before noon if I’m going to get any sleep that night. I just recieved my first gaiwan, and it’s been saddening me that I can’t use it in the afternoon.

I’d like to send a big thanks to Dr. Jim, for the opportunity to try this tea! I’ve tried Harney & Sons before, but the teas I’ve tried haven’t impressed me. This one may have changed my mind. It’s smooth and surprisingly light – a sweet straw note that’s just a tiny bit nutty. I think this will work nicely for my purposes!

gmathis

Bookmarking—a good decaf!

Dr Jim

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

(1.6 grams, 6 oz water): Light nose with straw aroma. The taste is light and crisp with notes of straw and grass. Initial impression: not very strong; Short finish. Developed a bit more flavor as it cooled but still not very powerful. I like this tea because it reminds me of a sauvignon blanc wine (which my doctor has forbidden). Not sure if a green tea afficionado would like it. I tasted this with the Upton decaf china green, and initially the power of the Upton decaf just blew me away, but after a while I began to appreciate the delicate tart flavor of this tea. In fact I bumped my rating a couple of points.

Aroma: Light straw
Liquor Color: Darker yellow
Liquor Flavor: Smooth, light straw/grass
Notes: Not as flavorful as a regular good quality sencha. Not much of a taste going on. Very light. I was hoping for a pow of sencha flavor but this didn’t do the trick. Not bad, just not what I was expecting.

I am on a diet that only allows me to have one caffeinated drink per day, so I ordered a bunch of decaf teas from H&S. I bought this so I could mix it with their roasted buckwheat tea to make a makeshift decaf genmaicha. It’s not bad at all! You can definitely taste the wheat in this, but it still has that toasty, seaweed flavour. This will definitely work as a good decaf substitute for the regular version.

Does look and taste very like sencha, but with far less particulates and caffeine.

This tea is simple, yet satisfying. The aroma of the brewed tea is lightly grassy, but the taste is surprisingly sweet with a slight hint of grass in the aftertaste. I could see myself ordering more of this.