Jane's Garden

Green Tea
Green Tea, Rose Petals
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Yay finally one of the rose teas that I truly enjoyed! Thank you *Sephanie* for the variety of rose teas:) I truly loved the selection I will have to add this one to my shopping cart. The rose...” Read full tasting note
    Mnoelle225 206 tasting notes
  • “Got a sample of this tea from my mom. I'm still hesitant about green teas, because of their grassiness, but I do like toasty ones. I guess this is bancha, which I've not tried yet. The tea reminded...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 480 tasting notes
  • “Another tea of the afternoon.... I think I should have picked another one after my not liking the Chinese Sencha from thepuriTea very well. I fixed this up and then did my research on what was...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Tealizzy* for the sample of this! Bancha is probably my least favorite green tea. There is something almost fishy about it. I definitely prefer a sweeter sencha! Also not really...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 843 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Jane’s Garden Tea is a blend of Bancha and rosebuds created for a lovely friend, Jane Lloyd, who battled breast cancer. Jane lost her battle in September 2005, and the Harney family and many of us here at the tea company lost a dear friend. The Jane Lloyd Fund, which was originally created to help Jane, will now continue to help cancer patients in our community. The fund will support patient’s day-to-day living expenses. The Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation is the steward for the Jane Lloyd Fund, and we continue our support with $5.50 given for each tin of Jane’s Garden Tea that we sell.

About Harney & Sons View company

Yay finally one of the rose teas that I truly enjoyed! Thank you Sephanie for the variety of rose teas:) I truly loved the selection I will have to add this one to my shopping cart. The rose pairs perfectly with the green tea. Its not too complex, just simple. Love it. And I love the story behind the tea. How and why it was created. It makes me want to buy it right now just so I can help the cause. But I cannot afford to:/ It will have to wait in my shopping list until I can. I have two more left Stephanie !! I can’t wait for you to get mine:)

Stephanie

I can’t wait either! :D I love having tea “on the way” though. It’s the best! So glad you liked some of my selections for you so far, too.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

one question there is a little sample that has a white label that just says “balance”. what company is that from?

Stephanie

OH! Sorry about that- Nina’s! http://steepster.com/teas/ninas-paris/34933-libra I know its a tiny amount but I wasn’t going to drink it anyway. I do not like rooibos at ALL!

BrewTEAlly Sweet

hmmm. interesting. I am not a fan of rooibos either but will definitely try it. No rooibos is left behind before trying:)

Oops, lol.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

no oops. I always try them, but they aren’t something I would buy:)

Got a sample of this tea from my mom. I’m still hesitant about green teas, because of their grassiness, but I do like toasty ones. I guess this is bancha, which I’ve not tried yet. The tea reminded more of squash than grass. Like zucchini. It also had a slight floral flavor, and was slightly sweet. I’m not sure why, but I got a little spiciness from it…maybe as a side effect of the floral note? Not sure I’d buy this one, but it helped to educate me a little more on the green tea realm. :)

gmathis

Zucchini tea—I like the thought of that.

Another tea of the afternoon….

I think I should have picked another one after my not liking the Chinese Sencha from thepuriTea very well. I fixed this up and then did my research on what was in it. It turns out that Bancha is a lower grade of Sencha. Man, do I have a long way to go on my education of green teas. Anyway, the roses help this, and I did sweeten it just a little. I think I don’t mind this as a tea with other things….. this one is less vegetal and more woody, maybe?

Thank you Tealizzy for the sample of this! Bancha is probably my least favorite green tea. There is something almost fishy about it. I definitely prefer a sweeter sencha! Also not really detecting any rose here…I’ve had some pretty decent ones from Harney but this one seems to be a bust.

Tealizzy

Oh no! Thought you might like it because it’s a green. Oh well!

Stephanie

No biggie, glad I got to try it :)

Delicate, with a hint of grass and roses. It does make me picture sitting in a garden in spring and smelling the plants around me. Overall the flavor is too light for me though.

This may be the tea that reconciles me to bancha. The color is green-gold, and the aroma is grassy with just a hint of rose. The taste is fresh and light, with just a hint of sweetness. I steeped for just about 2 minutes, and there is only a tiny hint of bitterness. Most banchas taste horribly bitter to me, and this tastes more like a lower grade sencha. Which is a good thing.

This is a refreshing summer cup for a hot and muggy Florida morning.

Still trying to decide the best way to steep this one. This time it turned out bitter and not very good. I couldn’t get over it. I’ll just keep trying different temps and times until I find something that works.

Step 1: Finish watching the last of the Star Trek: TNG movies.

Step 2: Listen to The Supremes to reckon with your “what am I going to do now that I’ve seen all that these characters who mean so much to me are ever going to do” Fiction Feels.

Step 3: Make tea, sip it, and write about it on Steepster.

Congratulations! You are TeaKlutz.

Uhhh OK, apparently I never added this to my cupboard let alone reviewed it. Well then!

This was one of my rare green tea nights. Tell the truth, I’ve been more of a CoffeeKlutz than a TeaKlutz the past several days. Not entirely sure why, just felt like something with a thicker texture. So I’ve had enough coffee today that I didn’t want anything super-caffeinated (anything less than black tea really isn’t going to wake me up, and sometimes black tea doesn’t even do that), and besides I feel like I’m being “healthy” when I drink green teas and I sure as hell have not been eating healthy the past several days, haha!

This is my second go-round. Miraculously, I managed not to overdo it. To be perfectly honest, there’s not a whole lot to say on this one. It’s the standard crisp green tea flavor with little bit of light rosiness, almost imperceptible. Jane has a lot of shrubbery and a rose bush or two. It’s not bad. It’s too understated for my taste, but it’s still “clean” tasting and enjoyable if you like flowery green teas.

I don’t have many green teas, so it’s nice to have it as an option.

I was craving bancha today, so I brewed up a medium-sized tetsubin of Harney & Sons Jane’s Garden, which I continue to regard as the non-rose rose tea! It’s very tasty and succulent, just not very floral. Definitely satisfied my bancha craving!

The liquor brews up pale greenish yellow, and tastes just like … bancha! I wish that I could figure out how to describe the flavor of bancha. It reminds me somewhat of oil paints, but of course that sounds repulsive and poisonous, when in fact this tea is appealing and salubrious! Well, there are people who sniff glue, so maybe they would not be turned off by such comparisons? Anyway, I like it a lot, and nothing satisfies a bancha craving but … BANCHA!

second infusion: brighter yellow; flavorful

third infusion: light yellow with a lighter taste, but still a mighty fine beverage!

boychik

when i gave some H&S bancha to my friend to sample, she declared its fishy. doesnt taste fishy to me

sherapop

boychik: that’s what I mean when I say that it tastes indescribable! To some it may seem fishy; to me it seems bancha-y! ;-)