Green Herbal Blend
Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Harney & Sons

Japan’s capital is the inspiration of this tea. Green Bancha is blended with toasted sesame seeds and caramel flavors. The delightful flavor is reminiscent of some of Tokyo’s best desserts.

About Harney & Sons View company

A jagged bancha blended with sesame seeds provides a visual more natural than I thought at first. The aroma is roasty and sweet with hints of a more savory flavor profile.

When brewed the leaves produce light yellow liquor partially clouded by some dusting from the loose blend. The steeped aroma is lighter, slightly sweeter with more prominent nutty tones and a more subdued roasted profile.

On the palate everything comes alive. Clear spinach and artichoke flavors pair with the roastiness of the sesame and the nutty flavors to create a well balanced and nuanced flavor profile.

While there is a slight bit of vegetal astringency it’s only on the initial part of the sip and is quickly balanced by the other pieces of this teas’ profile.

I rarely drink green teas and I’m always putting them off.. but since I was tinkering in the kitchen this morning, listening to Thrilling Adventure Hour & right there to pull the kettle off just before boiling, I thought I’d give it a try. It’s pretty yum, too. Will probably see how a resteep goes in a bit. ;)

First of all thank you to Batrachoid for giving me some of this tea to try.

I’m not really tasting the supposed caramel flavours in this tea though that might just be a reference to the naturally slightly nutty flavour of the bancha base. The sesame seeds are more obvious although the flavour isn’t as strong as with Adagio’s sesame-flavoured black tea. It’s a nice green tea, but nothing too extreme.

HI EVERYONE I’M ALIVE

I can’t believe I haven’t logged this yet, because it’s one of my favorites that I’ve recently bought. It smells absolutely amazing. The green tea base is nothing special—which isn’t to say it’s bad, it’s just not astonishing, as green teas go—but the subtle sweet sesame flavors make it, and it’s a very nice, cozy, lightly sweet green tea.

I think I’ve had mine a little too long, as I can’t taste the flavors as well as I used to be able to, but this effectively got me through my hellish senior year of college, and for that I salute it.

Wow, this was an interesting tea. It had a fairly simple buttered spinach aroma, but the flavor was very complex. In my bid to find words to describe it, I came up with this:
Lightly sweetened buttered spinach, with caramel in the aftertaste and a bit of astringcy towards the end of the cup.

I enjoyed it, but I don’t think I’d order more of it. I’m starting to see that I have a preference for the unflavored when it comes to greens and oolongs.

I drank this today with my breakfast. It’s really sweet on its own. I think this might be one of the sweetest green teas I’ve had. I am not crazy for the flavoring, it reminds me of Bossa Nova with the caramel, nutty taste. I love the sesames in it. The green tea itself is nice, I would of liked it without the sweet flavoring. I just haven’t found a tea with caramel I liked, it is just something that doesn’t agree with me.

Thank you Shinobicha for a taste! I have been interested in knowing what this taste like.

Normally I don’t go for green tea—I haven’t branched out much and most of what I’ve tried has been too vegetal for me. But this, oh! It smells so good. Sweet, nutty, smooth… it really is the closest thing to a dessert tea that I’ve tried. Somehow the sesame and caramel notes just add up to the most delicious smelling thing in the world. (Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a little.) I will warn you, though, the tea itself is not nearly as strong as the scent of the leaves. It’s much milder, more… nutty, almost, though without the strong grassy taste I usually associate with green teas.

More bad news: the leaves are fairly large, but they aren’t totally unbroken and I’ve found a number of stems. A quick googling shows that bancha tea is usually lower grade, so this isn’t super surprising with that in mind. It’s definitely a high enough grade for a simple flavored green.

I’m still sorting out the exact combination of time and temp and amount, but I definitely have to use more of this than my stronger black teas, and I go for two minutes and thirty seconds rather than the recommended two. Definitely don’t be stingy when measuring this out. It’s already a very mild tea. I’ve found you can get at least two full-strength steepings out of it, and it’s only six bucks for a quarter pound at the store.

Once I run out of this (and I will definitely run out), I am absolutely buying more.

I picked up a sample of this in my last Harney order, and was pleasantly surprised. I’m not normally a fan of green teas, finding them too light and insubstantial for my tastes. This was heartier than most other green teas, and tasted fuller in the mouth. I really liked this.

I was lucky enough to get this tea from Deliriums Frogs. It is a nice tea with a bit of caramel, nutty green tea. The nuttiness may be from the sesame seeds. It’s a nice light and relaxing cuppa!

Nnnn, not particularly impressed with this one, though I’m going to experiment a bit with the steeping time and see if I get better results. I’m not tasting the toasted sesame that was mentioned in the description, though it’s still a serviceable green tea.