Decaf Darjeeling

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “My pouch of this decaf has had a hard life, storm survivor and all, and may just be losing its edge due to freshness issues. It's still "eh" OK when I'm not in the mood for an evening herbal. I'm a...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1688 tasting notes
  • “*Thanks to Nicole for this sample* This is the first Darjeeling I have tried. I am not sure what notes I am supposed to pick up on, but this tea is smooth with a little bit of astingency. I am...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 791 tasting notes
  • “Another tea from the traveling tea box. This is a nice, smooth cup. Nothing amazing or complex, but most certainly delicious and comforting. I can see myself reaching for this on those nights...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 644 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Nicole for sending this along! I want to try any Harney I can! This one is wonderful while it is HOT but I really don't like the flavor while it cools. It turns very bitter and...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1276 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Black tea from Darjeeling. A great alternative for Darjeeling lovers.

About Harney & Sons View company

My pouch of this decaf has had a hard life, storm survivor and all, and may just be losing its edge due to freshness issues. It’s still “eh” OK when I’m not in the mood for an evening herbal. I’m a lot less enthusiastic about it than when I first tried it.

I do wish I could fall upon a decaf black tea that doesn’t seem like a wimpy substitute for the good stuff. I’ve tried winkle-tinkling my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and I just can’t make it appear.

Indigobloom

If you ever find that non wimpy decaf let me know! I’ve been on the hunt for ages…

ashmanra

Indigo: Harney’s Decaffeinated ( just plain ole’ decaffeinated) is actually pretty good! It is stronger than Decaf Ceylon from A Southern Season and we liked that one. I tried the decaf Assam and it was TERRIBLE. I think Ceylons just decaf well or something, but at SS it is pretty pricey.

Indigobloom

Hmmm, really? one day I’ll try it! thanks for the tip. Too bad, I love Assam

Thanks to Nicole for this sample

This is the first Darjeeling I have tried. I am not sure what notes I am supposed to pick up on, but this tea is smooth with a little bit of astingency. I am not picking up the typical black tea base, but that is likely because it is a decaf.

As Nicole mentioned in her note, I am sure this would make a great iced tea!

Another tea from the traveling tea box.

This is a nice, smooth cup. Nothing amazing or complex, but most certainly delicious and comforting. I can see myself reaching for this on those nights when I’m not craving an herbal but still want to avoid caffeine. It’s not at all astringent, and I’m sure it would be wonderful with cream and sugar. Tonight, however, I’m drinking it sans additions, and it is very nice.

I have enough tea leaves left for one more cup. I’ll probably sweeten that one (perhaps with some rock sugar?) just to see. If I like it as much as I think I will then I’ll be adding one more tea to my shopping list. Because, you know, I need one more tea on my shopping list. Yeah.

JustJames

okay, what is the traveling tea box…. and does it ever come to victoria BC?

Veronica

If you search in the discussion threads for teabox you’ll see several posts. I think there are 3 or 4 tea boxes going around right now. Basicly, someone will say they are starting a box and see if anyone is interested. If enough people sign up then the box will be started. If you sign up to participate then when the box gets to you you drink (or get samples for later) of any teas that strike your fancy. Then, you replace that tea with teas from your own stash and send the box on to the next person in line.

As long as everyone plays nice then the traveling tea boxes are a lot of fun. I know of at least one instance when a person received the box and kept it. People pitched in to make a new box, but it took a lot of the fun out of it. However, it’s neat to follow the threads and see who has which box and read what they think of the teas.

Thank you Nicole for sending this along! I want to try any Harney I can! This one is wonderful while it is HOT but I really don’t like the flavor while it cools. It turns very bitter and astringent. But while it’s hot, it’s fine! It has a great silky black tea flavor. And MUCH different from the green darjeeling I had yesterday, which was more like oolong. This was probably my least favorite Harney tea, but I haven’t had many and probably tried the best (Hot Cinnamon Sunset & Paris).

First I would like to say that I didn’t know this was decaf until I was ready to log it! So…in a way…that is good…because I thought it tasted a little ‘weak’ but now it makes sense. For a Decaf – it’s tasty – gentle – pretty good. BUT…why the hell did I start my day with a DECAF! Yeah…it’s Friday! Woot! WOW!

This is fairly astringent but the taste doesn’t linger long. Not bad!

This is my first Darjeeling that I’ve tried. I would like to thank Nicole for sending me this loose tea. :)
I brewed the Decaf Darjeeling at 195 degrees Fahrenheit. I steeped it for approximately four to five minutes. I personally have a preference for black teas, so I was excited to try this tea. I also thought that it would be perfect for times when I do not want to consume less caffeine.
I enjoyed drinking this tea especially during mid-day. It has a calming effect on me while giving me just enough alertness. The flavor of the Darjeeling was a smooth, while having a bit of an astringent taste.
The liquor was a shade of gold/champagne. In the future I would love to try this tea, iced.

My go-to tea for iced tea drinking. I’m sure there are better quality darjeelings out there, but this one suits my needs.