Panyang Congou

Dill, Earth, Hay, Honey, Malt, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Ryan Burress

• “Tea for the morning here. I read over some of the previous tasting notes and a few people seemed to think this tea was really boring but I like mine. It’s good when you’re in the mood...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2765 tasting notes
  • “Ah, now I am back to this one as I am wont to drink my tea – plain. This has all the notes you expect to find in a Fujian black tea, but softer. A little roasty, the barest suggestion of...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1998 tasting notes
  • “My morning tea. Good stuff. Brewed in my jumbo mug, but next time a small teapot. I finally decided it was time for a smaller teapot. My current one is 45 oz, which is perfect for...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 983 tasting notes
  • “Oooh, this is good. Really, really good. It smells and tastes just like my beloved Emperor’s Red (which I couldn’t find online anymore) and this is a much better price. It is slightly...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A wonderful tea made in Northern Fujian Province (like Golden Monkey). It is a wonderful blend of medium body teas with toasty flavors. Try this one when you want a tea with more heft.

Those who prefer full-bodied British Legacy teas will find much to like in Panyang Congou. From the same area in Fujian province, Panyang Congou is a close relative of Panyang Golden Needle and Golden Monkey but slightly older and made in a more traditional style, with the least amount of tips. Congou is a corruption of the Chinese words Gong Fu, or Kung Fu, which mean “Highest Mastery.” A tea trade classification for Chinese black teas with this particular twisted shape, the word refers to the masterful skill required to produce the teas by hand. Today, the teas are made almost entirely by machine. The leaves are expertly rolled into a tight twist before slowly oxidizing to take on the fruity but unsweetened flavors of baked apples.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

So I asked for some teas from the Harney & Sons print catalogue for my birthday, since grandparents are old, have a hard time getting out of the house, and really only order things from print catalogs. Among other things, I asked for a black tea sampler that had this and three other teas.

Well, I got everything I asked for. Plus a POUND of this. I have no idea how I wound up with a POUND, but I’m not about to complain.

Fortunately, I like this tea. Small, thin black leaves and a warm dry leaf smell. The scent of the liquor itself is roastier, with some barky/mossy notes. The taste I got, which matches the scent, is a little on the bright side without being astringent or citrus-y. It’s a very pleasant tea, it reminds me a bit of a bailin gongfu. I love the barkiness as I swallow.

I would put it higher than a 78, which was its Steepster score at the time I wrote this. I don’t think the flavor is quite full enough to put it in the 90’s – may need a few more leaves – but it’s very enjoyable. I could easily see this becoming a staple tea. Especially since I have a pound of it.

Also! I’m about to start a tea blog! I’ll post the link for it once I’ve got it set up, but I plan to write a tea blog that’s a resource to beginning, casual, or just generally inexperienced loose-leaf tea drinkers who wish to broaden their horizons. There’s definitely going to be a little of “learning alongside my readers,” but I’ve wanted to start a tea blog for some time… and now that creating a blog is one of the long-term projects for my Writing in Digital Media class (I’m going for my Master’s in Professional Writing), what better opportunity?

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tasted very smokey. Quite unique. Good for fall or winter.

This tea has a rich and earthy taste. I really like the complexity of this tea. It has a little tinge of sweetness contrasted with a smokey flavor. It also has a nice after taste, the flavor seems to linger and slowly dissipate.

This is a great, everyday tea.

This subtle, comforting tea is actually my 2nd favorite from Harney. It’s easy to drink cup after cup without thinking too much about it, as it’s not bitter or overly strong, but if you stop and think as you taste, the nose and flavors, though subtle, really come out. There is a bit of sweetness, some florals, really nice flavors.