Earth, Pepper, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 oz / 100 ml

From Harney & Sons

An ancient tea from Yunnan. Its earthy pleasures are treasured by some. Brigitte Harney is especially a fan.

About Harney & Sons View company

Woah! I can’t believe it: it’s a pu-erh and I like it! I gave it a quick 10 second rinse because I heard that was a thing to do, and then I steeped it for 2 minutes.

Yes, it tastes dark and earthy but it’s good. It’s slightly smokey and sweet which add a bit of depth to the flavour. Excellent! I don’t really feel qualified to judge this because I couldn’t tell you if this was a good puerh or not, or if it’s raw or whatever the other one is, but now I can venture out and explore more puerh.

I’ve got 2 samples coming from Teavivre so this is excellent news.
I’m no longer afraid of Puerh!

haha just wait until you get out here! (can you tell i’m excited?!)

Cavocorax

Hahaha. Yeah I have an idea that you want a joint Mandala order in the future. :D

yeah unless i get suckered in to cakes… EEP!

ashmanra

Good to know! I have 48 Harney teas on shelf right now but I have never tried their shu puerh. I do have a raw Ziyun Mao Cha that they haven’t carried in years but it is aging nicely, and I had their green tea cake, which is a puerh type tea but could not be labeled puerh because it wasn’t grown in Yunnan. I need to try this one!

Cavocorax

Are all puerh’s from Yunnan? Because I do like black Yunnan teas!
\

…going to have to put together a poo package for you cavo…or when you come here we can get together once a week for puerh together! (poo in the park with the little one?) haha

Haha. Poo in the park sounds fun. :P

Amariel

Poo in the park…lol

This is a great tea to introduce someone to pu-erh. It is pretty tame compared to many other pu-erhs. It is slightly earthy and slightly smokey and never bitter.

Another long forgotten tea. i found it while organizing my teas
Since the time i got it i’ve tasted some pu. so now i can compare.
This tea is not my fav. Gave two rinses (usually one rinse for me)
its earthy, peppery spicy with strong tobacco note. i was craving some sweetness, some stone fruits. nope.
i guess im just got spoiled drinking good sweet rich shou…oh well, cant like them all

Gongfu
7g 100ml 212F
2rinses/pause/5/7/7/10/15sec etc

Edit: l0-15 min after I finished my session I got this strong sweetness . Quite good. I will finish the tin but its not repurchase for me

Flavors: Earth, Pepper, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

yay for tea organising!

boychik

thank you Sil! now its time for sipdows ;)

Kirkoneill1988

was it tea bag? the last tea bag of puehr i tried had a shrimpy taste

boychik

Kirkoneill, it is loose puerh, not a bag. its not fishy, just not my taste

mrmopar

Welcome to the “enlightened stage” I hit it also and found how much I have changed.

boychik

@mrmopar, Im so lucky sampling the best puerh! I think it’s good to have something so so once in a while to appreciate more what you have ;)

mrmopar

I agree 100%. Paul at White 2 Tea and Marshaln call it “tuition” tea. I know I have had my share of it.

Kirkoneill1988

even if it was fishy I don’t mind it. but that’s good its loose leaf :) loose leaf has better flavor in my opinion

I have begun to combine this tea w Russian Caravan, by Peets Tea, to enhance its smoky taste and aroma. Sometimes, I brew this tea w Numi’s Aged Earl Grey, instead. For some reason, I can’t drag my steep time, below. I combine 2 rounded t pu-erh w 1 rounded t Russian Caravan in 2 cups water & steep at 212, for 5 minutes. Or, I combine 2 rounded t pu-erh w 1 tea bag of the Numi, using same temp and steep time. This amount of Bergamot is about right.

This tea has a very interesting character. It isn’t sour or bitter at all but does taste very earthy and somewhat smoky. I don’t usually prefer Pu-erh teas but this one intrigues me. I added cream and sugar and the resulting flavor combination was actually quite nice.