Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Harney & Sons

An ancient tea from Yunnan. Its earthy pleasures are treasured by some. Brigitte Harney is especially a fan.

About Harney & Sons View company

Woah! I can’t believe it: it’s a pu-erh and I like it! I gave it a quick 10 second rinse because I heard that was a thing to do, and then I steeped it for 2 minutes.

Yes, it tastes dark and earthy but it’s good. It’s slightly smokey and sweet which add a bit of depth to the flavour. Excellent! I don’t really feel qualified to judge this because I couldn’t tell you if this was a good puerh or not, or if it’s raw or whatever the other one is, but now I can venture out and explore more puerh.

I’ve got 2 samples coming from Teavivre so this is excellent news.
I’m no longer afraid of Puerh!

haha just wait until you get out here! (can you tell i’m excited?!)

Cavocorax

Hahaha. Yeah I have an idea that you want a joint Mandala order in the future. :D

yeah unless i get suckered in to cakes… EEP!

ashmanra

Good to know! I have 48 Harney teas on shelf right now but I have never tried their shu puerh. I do have a raw Ziyun Mao Cha that they haven’t carried in years but it is aging nicely, and I had their green tea cake, which is a puerh type tea but could not be labeled puerh because it wasn’t grown in Yunnan. I need to try this one!

Cavocorax

Are all puerh’s from Yunnan? Because I do like black Yunnan teas!
\

…going to have to put together a poo package for you cavo…or when you come here we can get together once a week for puerh together! (poo in the park with the little one?) haha

Haha. Poo in the park sounds fun. :P

Amariel

Poo in the park…lol

This is a great tea to introduce someone to pu-erh. It is pretty tame compared to many other pu-erhs. It is slightly earthy and slightly smokey and never bitter.

I have begun to combine this tea w Russian Caravan, by Peets Tea, to enhance its smoky taste and aroma. Sometimes, I brew this tea w Numi’s Aged Earl Grey, instead. For some reason, I can’t drag my steep time, below. I combine 2 rounded t pu-erh w 1 rounded t Russian Caravan in 2 cups water & steep at 212, for 5 minutes. Or, I combine 2 rounded t pu-erh w 1 tea bag of the Numi, using same temp and steep time. This amount of Bergamot is about right.

This tea has a very interesting character. It isn’t sour or bitter at all but does taste very earthy and somewhat smoky. I don’t usually prefer Pu-erh teas but this one intrigues me. I added cream and sugar and the resulting flavor combination was actually quite nice.