Decaf Ceylon

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Still have a sore throat, still can't taste things the way I want. So tonight I brewed a pot of this, added a more than heaping helping of Tang (there! I said it! go ahead and judge me if you...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1794 tasting notes
  • “Sit down everyone! There is a plain, black, decaf tea that ACTUALLY TASTES LIKE TEA! No strange chemical taste. No horrible dirty dishwater weakness. A solidly good cup of tea that I would quite...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Hey! It's decaf! It TASTES! It tastes good! A cause for celebration and a little woo-hooing, as there are so few plain black decaf teas that have any sort of potency. First thing that came to...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1687 tasting notes
  • “Received a free sample of this with my last Harney's order. It is a tea sachet. On immediate smell it reminds me of iced tea, that is because I usually use Ceylon tea to make iced or cold...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 753 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Tea aficionados will appreciate the high quality black tea with richness and depth of flavor left intact in Decaffeinated Ceylon. Brimming with a wonderfully delicate flavor and subtly sweet aroma, this mixture of the finest black teas from Sri Lanka produces an impressively smooth and tranquil cup, all under the guise of decaf.

About Harney & Sons View company

Finally took the opportunity to try this sample. It was a little strange for me. On first sip it tasted unusually sweet. Keep in mind used no sweetner so it was a bit of a shock. Once I got past that flavor I will say for a decaf it wasn’t awful. It actually tastes like tea but still it wasn’t my cuppa but happy I had the chance to try it.

I had this last night as my evening cup. I am trying to cut down on caffeine after 8:00PM. Generally I stick with tisanes in the evening instead of decaff tea but a friend had given me this in a collection of Harney & Sons teabags. I was pleasantly surprised as I do not generally drink tea-bags OR decaffeinated tea. It had all the taste of a middle brow ceylon. This is surprising because I had VERY LOW expectations. Decaff tea generally tastes like mud! While I am not running out to buy this in teabag form I would perhaps order it from Harney in a small amount in loose leaf for my evening cup.

Nice and smooth black tea. No need for milk or sugar.
Decaf tea that tastes like normal tea! Well, it is just a *teeny bit weaker than normal black tea but it’s nice and I like it.

What I have doesn’t seem to exist — not here, not on Harney’s site, not on the Internet. It’s a sample packet of a “single silken sachet” and it’s labeled “Enlightening Ceylon Medium and Mellow Bodied…a smooth black tea from Sri Lanka.” It doesn’t say anywhere that it’s decaffeinated, or that it’s a blend.

I’d have added a new listing if I could prove it exists! At any rate, it was unimpressive. It was smooth, but not flavorful, and when I opened the packet no strong tea fragrance greeted me. I prefer the Taylors of Harrogate Pure Ceylon I had earlier today.