Decaf Ceylon

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

From Harney & Sons

Tea aficionados will appreciate the high quality black tea with richness and depth of flavor left intact in Decaffeinated Ceylon. Brimming with a wonderfully delicate flavor and subtly sweet aroma, this mixture of the finest black teas from Sri Lanka produces an impressively smooth and tranquil cup, all under the guise of decaf.

About Harney & Sons View company

Finally took the opportunity to try this sample. It was a little strange for me. On first sip it tasted unusually sweet. Keep in mind used no sweetner so it was a bit of a shock. Once I got past that flavor I will say for a decaf it wasn’t awful. It actually tastes like tea but still it wasn’t my cuppa but happy I had the chance to try it.

I had this last night as my evening cup. I am trying to cut down on caffeine after 8:00PM. Generally I stick with tisanes in the evening instead of decaff tea but a friend had given me this in a collection of Harney & Sons teabags. I was pleasantly surprised as I do not generally drink tea-bags OR decaffeinated tea. It had all the taste of a middle brow ceylon. This is surprising because I had VERY LOW expectations. Decaff tea generally tastes like mud! While I am not running out to buy this in teabag form I would perhaps order it from Harney in a small amount in loose leaf for my evening cup.

Sipdown (134)!

Opened up the teabag rapper for this today only to find that the teabag had a giant slit in the side! And not even the side I’d opened it from? Took advantage of that though and brewed this up in my divination cup, letting whatever cuttings/fannings floated out of the slit hang out in the teacup to be read afterwards.

Flavour wise; this is definitely kind of typical Ceylon flavour notes: it’s simple, has a medium body and smooth enough flavour with a lot of floral notes and then a bit of a malty finish. Nothing fancy at all, and would probably take milk super well. I do like that it’s caffeine free – it let me break up a day of tea drinking pretty easily without feeling like I was taking a pause for something herbal or a rooibos blend. Didn’t blow me away, though.

As for the reading, I wasn’t really able to pick out any shapes or patterns from the settled tea leaf, so instead I opted to read to teacup based on the largest concentrations/deposits of tea leaf. As far as the tea leaf around the rim goes, most had settled between the cat and the sunrise positions; the rim represents your immediate or near future and the interpretation for those two symbols are as follows:

The Cat: Your free spirit seeks an outlet; you may feel like behaving unpredictably. Follow your heart and be adventurous!

The Sunrise: A new beginning or sense of rebirth!

Then I looked at the leaf that had settled around the inner circle of the cup. The inner circle represents important events coming in future weeks or months. For me, most of the leaf had clustered around the Mercury symbol which means that the coming future shall be lively and social for me and showcase communications, conversations, and travel in some form. Hmm, things to keep in mind I suppose.

Anyway, thanks VariaTEA for the sample!

Free sample I got with an order.
A decent nothing special black tea. Not bitter or astringent but not weak either.

Not something I would go out of my way to get, but something I wouldn’t mind drinking.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I found the Harney & Sons sachet sampler cube waiting for me when I got home…but as it was rather late, I decided to try something decaffeinated.

This tea is honestly pretty good. Not having had a decaffeinated black tea before, I can’t really compare, but it doesn’t seem like anything was lost in the process. It tastes just like a crisp, fragrant black tea should. There’s a smooth muscatel sweetness, almost peach-like, and the slightest bit of astringency. What this tea reminds me of most is CBTL’s Pacific Coast Blend, which is also a Ceylon. Which means this one could also be quite good iced.

I’ll be trying the rest of those samples over the next few days/weeks, but it seems too much effort to add them to my cupboard if they’re all single-serving…

Sample cube 1/18
[2/18 will be Paris which I’ve already logged (and just bought a tinful of), so no note this time!]

Nice and smooth black tea. No need for milk or sugar.
Decaf tea that tastes like normal tea! Well, it is just a *teeny bit weaker than normal black tea but it’s nice and I like it.

What I have doesn’t seem to exist — not here, not on Harney’s site, not on the Internet. It’s a sample packet of a “single silken sachet” and it’s labeled “Enlightening Ceylon Medium and Mellow Bodied…a smooth black tea from Sri Lanka.” It doesn’t say anywhere that it’s decaffeinated, or that it’s a blend.

I’d have added a new listing if I could prove it exists! At any rate, it was unimpressive. It was smooth, but not flavorful, and when I opened the packet no strong tea fragrance greeted me. I prefer the Taylors of Harrogate Pure Ceylon I had earlier today.