UVA Highlands

Edit tea info Last updated by Patrick G

• “This tea is strong, with a bitterness and astringency that grows with every sip. I took it in my tumbler to do errands on Saturday morning and I could handle it unadulterated, but just barely. It...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “another tea in my fall cupboard cleaning bunch...gotta make room for new ones as the weather gets colder. This Ceylon became one of my go-to teas for the occasion that I just wanted a nice, plain...” Read full tasting note
    Atacdad 239 tasting notes
  • “Tried this today from a coworker's new stash. First off - tiny, tiny, tiny leaves! It reminds me of a Pakistani tea someone brought me - almost looks like instant coffee. Harney site suggests...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 563 tasting notes
  • “Haven't had this one in a long time. I asked my random tea generator (my twelve year old daughter) what I should drink today and she said, "Uva Highlands!" So here we are. This is a rotovaned...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

This is a lovely high-grown Ceylon Pekoe from Uva. Thus it is small leaves that produce an intense tea. It is bright and brisk, with a hint of minty spice. It is guaranteeed to pick you up on dull afternoons. It can handle milk and sugar with aplomb.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

This tea is strong, with a bitterness and astringency that grows with every sip. I took it in my tumbler to do errands on Saturday morning and I could handle it unadulterated, but just barely. It might be quite good with milk and sugar; I have enough in my sample to try it that way next time. That said, I won’t mind if it isn’t; there’s a plethora of excellent Harney breakfast teas (that New Vithanakande was so good!) so not immediately loving another is in a way a blessing and relief, ha.

another tea in my fall cupboard cleaning bunch…gotta make room for new ones as the weather gets colder. This Ceylon became one of my go-to teas for the occasion that I just wanted a nice, plain cuppa. Its brisk and can be easily overbrewed, but takes to watering (down) like a duck! Hot or cold.

Tried this today from a coworker’s new stash. First off – tiny, tiny, tiny leaves! It reminds me of a Pakistani tea someone brought me – almost looks like instant coffee. Harney site suggests brewing 5 minutes. Coworker said it about knocked his socks off at 5 minutes so I went with 1 1/2. A nice, simple tea for daily use is what I’d say this is. Nothing fancy, just good ol’ tea flavor. Good hot, good cold. I got no hints of mint at all though.

Haven’t had this one in a long time. I asked my random tea generator (my twelve year old daughter) what I should drink today and she said, “Uva Highlands!” So here we are.

This is a rotovaned tea, so I figured it could only withstand a short steeping. I pulled the leaves out at three minutes and I think that was just right for me. It is described by Harney and Sons as a bright, brisk tea, and I would have to say that is accurate. This is a pick me up tea, not like a bold and well-muscled breakfast tea, but it is NOT a sit-and-sip-and-meditate soothing cup…to me. It is an eye-opener. My tongue is tingling. I thought I wasn’t getting the wintergreen aspect, but it really came on as a long-lasting aftertaste. A fun cup for this morning, but not a favorite. I like teas that wrestle me out of bed and into my day, or that pat me on the hand and say, “There, there” when I need it.

UVA Highlands is a brisk Ceylon tea with hints of Wintergreen and background notes of Ceylon tea flavors

This is literally the THIRD Saturday I’ve had off since early August. And this is the first one of them I haven’t been traveling. I don’t know what to do with myself! (Oh, wait… yes I do. Homework.)

Normally, I shy away from this kind of tea; I have to be in the right mood for something “minty” like the packaging describes. Today, I wanted to try something different, and this fit the bill.

The leaves are small and dark brown. The aroma is pretty faint, but a little odd… it’s not quite smoky, it’s more rubbery.

The water wasn’t quite boiling when I took it off the stove, but I steeped for about four minutes. It might be partly my fault, but this tea is quite brisk. I can see where they get “mint,” but it’s more of a vaguely “cool” note than true “mint.” Not really a flavor I enjoy, but definitely a good pick-up.

I may have to try this on a shorter steep time before I pass my final judgment, but my first impression: not bad. Nothing to write home about, unlike some of the other teas in H&S’s same sample pack, but not bad.

EDIT: Almost forgot – I have a tea blog! http://steepinclined.wordpress.com/

This is my first blog, so I’m still learning a lot of the ropes. It’s a beginner’s guide to loose-leaf tea, and while it’s basic at this point, it will eventually become a “tea guide” so that if you’re curious about something particular about tea – say, Earl Greys, Da Hong Paos, variable-temperature kettles, or shopping for matcha ware – it’ll give you a starting point.

Shae

Congratulations on the new blog!

Whoa – steeped this for five minutes, resulting in a VERY astringent brew. Milk and sugar were no help. I’m going to try again at three minutes and see how it turns out. Results to follow.