Decaf Earl Grey

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Backlog from last night A big thank you to *Nicole* for this sample! I have to say there are a few earl grey's in my cupboard but I don't think I've had any of them or likely not many of them. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5049 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Nicole for this sample!* Earl grey wafting in the air....sniff....smells delightful. This is a nice and light EG with nice bergamot flavouring. A little more lemon than most EGs...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 818 tasting notes
  • “*Tea #28 from Traveling Tea Box C* More Earl Grey! This one is better balanced than the Teavana tea, to be sure. And I think the Bergamot flavor is better done. It's also a softer flavored...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes
  • “*Tea #14 from the traveling tea box.* Ah, Earl Grey how I love you, you've always been my favorite. This is a pretty mild Earl Grey compared to the Rishi Earl Grey that I normally drink. I like...” Read full tasting note
    shortsorceress 1938 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our Decaffeinated Earl Grey starts with our Decaffeinated Ceylon. This is then scented with the natural Oil of Bergamot as with the traditional Earl Grey blend.

About Harney & Sons View company

Backlog from last night

A big thank you to Nicole for this sample! I have to say there are a few earl grey’s in my cupboard but I don’t think I’ve had any of them or likely not many of them. I’m still not convinced they’re a type of tea that I enjoy but it’s possible that flavoured earl grey’s may be my thing.

I pulled this one out last night because I’m trying to get through as many of my samples as possible before my swaps and last remaining orders arrive this month. Plus it was late at night, so i figured decaf would be the way to go.

I don’t think that i’m a fan of bergamot. I’m fairly certain that’s the underlying taste that i’m not loving. Otherwise it’s a fairly smooth tasting brew. I’m going to hold off rating this for now as well because i’d like to try this with a bit of milk and sugar. Overall not a bad tea, just nothing i need to keep around necessarily.

Appreciate the Sample as always Nicole!

Indigobloom

I knew you’d see the light ;P

we’ll see about that…

Indigobloom

Don’t go to the dark side Sil! lol

Thank you Nicole for this sample!

Earl grey wafting in the air….sniff….smells delightful. This is a nice and light EG with nice bergamot flavouring. A little more lemon than most EGs probably. I actually like that this is decaf because I love black tea but don’t always need that caffeine kick.

I also think this would be great as an iced tea.

Tea #28 from Traveling Tea Box C

More Earl Grey!

This one is better balanced than the Teavana tea, to be sure. And I think the Bergamot flavor is better done. It’s also a softer flavored cup, lacking the punch I expected in an EG.

For decaf, though, this is pretty outstanding.

1938 tasting notes

Tea #14 from the traveling tea box.

Ah, Earl Grey how I love you, you’ve always been my favorite. This is a pretty mild Earl Grey compared to the Rishi Earl Grey that I normally drink. I like that it is decaf and still manages to have a nice flavor, even if it isn’t as strong as I would like.

Dr Jim

Wow. I put it in the box because it was too strong for me. You like a mean Earl Grey.

Short Sorceress

I really do and Rishi makes one that fits the bill perfectly :)

First and foremost, I would like to thank Nicole for sending me this tea! :)

I brewed the Decaf Earl Grey to boiling temperature. I steeped it for approximately five minutes. The aroma is a wonderful scent of bergamot. I personally love Earl Grey blends. The fact that this is decaf allows me to drink it without worrying about consuming too much caffeine. I think that it’s the right blend. It has the essence of what makes a “Earl Grey” blend.

Not a favorite. I have been spoiled by Earl Grey Supreme from Harney and Sons! I had a kidney stone a week ago and I am not allowed to have caffeine until I stop the meds for it, so I tried this one. It just didn’t scratch the itch, though! The bergamot oil was too strong in this one for me.

__Morgana__

Sorry about the stone. I hear they are painful. Yikes.

ashmanra

Thanks, and yes, they are painful! Glad it is gone, and I will be so happy when I can drink my tea with abandon again!

I went on a bit of a sampling kick and ordered 2 of the boxed Harney samplers, so I was able to compare Decaf to straight Earl Grey. On the whole I prefer Decaf. It’s significantly lighter than Harney’s Earl Grey. I haven’t tried a Lady Grey, but I’m suspicious it may fall into that category as it’s a heck of a lot lighter than Earl Grey. I thought it was lovely and it might end up being my new Earl Grey.

I love a good Earl. I have been searching for some decent decaf teas for nighttime as I have sleep issues. While this particular one is lighter in body (expected as it is decaf), it is fairly flavorful and not too bitey even with a 5 minute steep. I love the aroma – it seems a little extra lemony than a lot of the Earls and lightly floral. It’s nice. Very palatable for a decaf and I am happy to have this as a nighttime tea. I’m always looking for suggestions for other decafs that might be good.

I have samples of H&S assam and ceylon decafs as well but have been avoiding them as I don’t really care that much for the caffeinated versions of either. The base in this tastes and feels like ceylon, but the bergamont helps.

I ordered a couple of Harney teabag and sachet samplers when I first started out with tea, to help me figure out what kinds of teas I liked. So now, months later, I am down to the samples that least appealed to me from each pack. This is the bagged version of this tea blend, and fortunately for me, it is actually very good.

It took me a little while to get into Earl Grey teas in general, but now that I am, this tea seems to be a nice example of one. It’s actually reminiscent of Twinings, but with a better tea base. I would not have known it was decaf, which is paying it a high compliment. The bergamot isn’t overwhelming, as I find it can be in other EG’s, and the base tea is smooth and light-bodied. If you are looking for a decaf EG, this would be a good choice, even in teabag form.

Best Decaf Ever! Been looking for a good decaf earl grey and I found it. The taste is better than some non-decaf earls. Smooth tea base, but enough punch to be passable. Moderate level of quality bergamot oil. I’m so happy to have found a good decaf!