Boston Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Berries, Nuts, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Ryan Burress

• “Its not official, but I always feel like the last day of November is the end of Winter. So I thought it would be appropriate to finish off this autumnal tea today. Sob. I love you Boston, I dont...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 676 tasting notes
  • “This is a good news/bad news sorta thing: my Harney&Sons order arrived today! Holy moley you guys. Everything smells so amazing! I guess the bad news is that I am UP to 145 teas, and some of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1404 tasting notes
  • “Okay all, I am getting ready to preach! Three years ago this week I went for a mammogram. I was about a year late because I was too busy to get one and since I was the poster child for low risk...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “I was reading Rosehip's review of this tea and decided it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Today the almond seems a bit stronger than usual, but I'm fine with that. It works well with the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 464 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A blend of black tea, cranberry and almond flavors inspired by the cranberry bogs south of Boston. Mike Harney is a big fan of cranberries, so he made another blend that incorporates this wonderfully flavorful little fruit.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

Thank you Ashmanra for this lovely sample tea!

Cranberry and Almond flavors it says in the Harney & Son’s notes.
Fall is coming. In fact, this is the LAST DAY OF SUMMER!

Am I the only one who packed up the tank tops, shorts and white jeans this weekend? It’s a frigid 84 degrees out ;) so I thought I’d get ready for the cold weather with a splendid Fall tea.

Since this was my morning wake-up tea, I added cream and sweetening.
Some flavored tea’s speak to me. “Add a little something, Bonnie, you know you want to.” And I can’t resist.
(There are tea’s that I never add anything to ever, ever, ever!)

I liked the cranberry flavor which was just like chewing on the plump dry cranberry’s that I used to get from Trader Joe’s. Tart and sweet. The almond didn’t taste like almond in a distinct way. I couldn’t tell it was there as a nutty flavor, but it carried the cranberry along by giving depth to the tea so that it didn’t taste too fruity or thin. What I’m trying to say poorly is, the almond gave a cranberry chewy granola flavor to the tea. There.

Come on Fall! We’re ready for the display of color!

BoxerMama

It is a frigid 91 degrees here!

ashmanra

90 F here, so the tank tops and shorts will have to stay out for another couple of months!

Indigobloom

oh my this sounds yummy!

Bonnie

Go back to sleep bloom…you’re sick!

tigress_al

As much as I love fall, I want to hold on to summer for just a little bit longer. It is still mostly warm enough here.
I need to try this tea, I have received a sample!

Indigobloom

LOL can’t!! tooo much to do. Oi!

Thanks to Azzrian for this sampler!

This is an interesting blend, tart & tangy. It was my first cup of the day, & the sample Azz sent me was generous enough that I can try a 2nd cup later, which will be lightly sweetened or or cold brewed…still not sure which!

Now I’m off to meet a friend at the London Tea Room!
Enjoy the day, everyone!

Azzrian

SIGH I am SO jealous. I want to be at LTR too.

Azzrian

Oh and your welcome LOL :)

Terri HarpLady

Azz, one of these days you’ll come to StL, & we’ll go!

Another from Dexter3657. thank you! I KNEW there was something wrong with the bit I tried from this blend! It was an off blend, because this one actually has any flavor to it. Sweet candy cranberry and not much almond, but it is definitely better than the other blend. It reminds me of Harney’s other fruit blends. BUT it also was reminding me of the Frankenberry cereal. Yum. Still not my favorite from Harney’s but I’m glad it was proved that there was something wrong with my batch after all. Raising the rating a bit.

Just posting this note…still not reading tasting notes. My Amoda box BEST be in my mailbox today… I miss Steepster!

It has been several days since I’ve able to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea. I’ve been so busy that every cup of tea has been on the go. Boston is tasting amazing today. I am really enjoying this cup with a bit of honey and half and half. Since this tea is better tonight than ever before, I’m upping the rating on this one.

Paul M Tracy

I think this is one H&S city that I haven’t visited. (I really like Florence and Paris) How would you describe the taste?

ashmanra

Paul, I will let mrawlins answer that but I wanted to put in my two cents worth! This is lovely, a very quiet and contemplative cup not at all like Cranberry Autumn (which is good but a completely different mood). I think the amaretto or almond aroma and flavor is what makes it so very soothing to me. Florence is rich and chocolate-y, Paris is bright and full, Boston is an intimate companion.

mpierce87

I do agree with ashmanra on the contemplative qualities of this tea. To me, this tea is very smooth with a nice sweet tart cranberry flavor (more sweet than tart though), the almond is very understated and helps with the smoothness I think. The black tea is smooth and noticeable, but this isn’t a morning wake up tea. This is one tea that I seem to like more each time I drink it – but it also requires the right mood to fully appreciate it.

Finishing up the sample from Ashmanra with lots of leaf in my teapot and a wee bit of honey in my cup. Seeing how it will compare to my experience with Cranberry Autumn and honey.

Honey makes it a bit more mellow, I think I like it more bold. No honey next cup. I think I will be ordering this next Harney order. Will alternate with Cranberry autumn. Both are delicious in their own way. I like the bake notes and almond nuttiness in this tea. Yum. I am falling in love with Harney teas!

Brian

Would you say this is a little toned down to Cranberry Autumn? Even though I love CA, it’s a little too strong on the palate sometimes.

ashmanra

It isn’t at all like Cranberry Autumn to me. Even though cranberry flavor is there, the almond gives it that amaretto sultriness. It is a quiet, intimate, cozy cup of tea. Cranberry Autumn is bright and social. IU like both, but they are for very different moods.

Noooo, I just spilled a cup’s worth from the pouch. This is the fourth time drinking this though so I already know that I’ll need to purchase more in the future, anyway.

Cranberry, you say. The dry leaf smells more like raspberry to my nose. Like a chocolate raspberry cordial.

Simply put, it tastes like it too. I haven’t tried it with additives yet but only because I’m enjoying it so much black. As this cools down, the almond comes out a little more. A perfect autumn cup on a cool, rainy day.

One thing I especially appreciate about H&S teas so far is that they’re not overly sweet. Many of my flavoured teas have simply been too sweet for me lately, and I’ve been craving unflavoured teas, especially my holy grail genmaicha, but I don’t have any in the house, nor have I found any in this city yet. Boston at least is more balanced in the world of sweetness.

205 °F / 96 °C
Ysaurella

I definitively need to buy some H&S teas.

Azzrian

Ah bummer I hate it when that happens! Good tea though :)

ashmanra

This is one of my favorites!

Lynne-tea

Fairway market should have some of this awesome genmaicha.. http://steepster.com/teas/ujinotsuyu/3511-genmaicha

Fjellrev

That’s the one I’ve been looking for. It’s been a staple for years! I checked the Fairway near my place but no such luck. Maybe another location, or the Japanese grocery store downtown. You just need to find the time to make such trips. :)

Amariel

Maybe the one on Quadra and Hillside would have it, considering how large their Asian section is.

Fjellrev

I luckily ended up finding some at the Fairway on McKenzie and Shelbourne. I remembered being there a few months ago and noticing that their Asian section was substantially larger than the one at Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X.

But thanks for the tip! I just knew the tea capital had to have some somewhere. :)

Tea of the afternoon……

I actually took a bit from the bag of this for my friend who wanted to try this and Cranberry Autumn. I know she won’t mind, and I wanted to see if this is how I remembered it. It is one of the first things I ordered at Harney long ago along with my long gone tin of Paris. You know how the palate tends to change over time….. I know my love for that tin of Boston kind of ran out well before it was gone. I am starting to wonder if it was a seasonal thing because I bought it in the Fall and my taste for it had gone by Spring. I have figured out that certain flavors of tea appeal to me the most in the proper season. I think this is definitely a Fall tea for me. I also think 2 oz. would be the perfect amount, because this would not be a daily tea for me.

Very present notes of cranberry with a light hint of almond. Actually, better than I remember.

This has been on my wishlist for quite awhile. Thank you ifjuly for this sample.
Hmmmmmmm, this is just happy tea. Curl up on the couch with the cat and a cup of comforting tea. This isn’t fancy, and it’s not complicated, it’s just a nice cup of cranberry almond tea. It’s might be a touch too sweet, and a hint acidic – if I had hibiscus in the house I’d be tempted to add just a touch. A little fussy, I over leafed the first cup – much better with less leaf. This is just really nice, and I will enjoy this sample (and the stuff I have on order). Thanks ifjuly – another great tea.

VariaTEA

I tried this today and ended up ordering the 4 oz tin. It is a very simple but very nice cup.

ifjuly

Agreed it’s relatively simple, straight up a couple flavors. And it is fussy—I remember the first time I made it it was a bit bitter.

Dexter3657

Sometimes simple is all you want/need – there is room in my cupboard for this one….

I can finally smell and taste again, yay! That means it’s time to delve into the treats that SimplyJenW sent me recently. I decided to start with Boston, based solely on it’s delicious dry smell. I get a distinct rich fruity smell, not much of a tea base underneath, but that’s fine. The liquor once steeped is a rich brown with a red/amber tinge…One of the colours I’d expect from a black tea.

The steeped smell is very rich and creamy, very thick smelling (if that’s even possible). No ‘tea’ smell, but an almost vanilla scent in there, reminiscent of vanilla comoro. I get a fruity smell, but nothing identifiably cranberry.

First sips yield a creamy fruity tea, with a hint of amaretto style almond aftertaste and a very slight tinge of bitterness. I gave this around 2 minutes 45 seconds, to avoid over-steeping. As the tea cools, the richness I initially experienced thinned out a bit, but the berry flavour became more dominant. I don’t know that I could identify it as cranberry, but it’s pretty hard to capture a flavour that specifically. This reminds me of another cranberry black tea I have from Joy’s Teaspoon called Crannyberry…though it’s been a while, so that might not be a true recollection.

All in all, this is really nice. Definitely an enjoyable cuppa, it seems a wonderfully absent-minded sort of tea. The black tea flavour continues to come out more strongly as the cup cools, and I’m enjoying that right now. I’m still in a straight black tea rut and really feeling that, but this is a great fruity alternative. Losing that slight hint of almond, but the fruit and tea flavours are more than enough for me!

Thanks again, SimplyJenW! I can’t wait to try the rest of my lovelies!

SimplyJenW

So glad to hear you are feeling better!

Uniquity

Thanks, Jen! : ) Update: Made a second pot with the same leaves this afternoon and it was really good. No more almond flavour, but still a vague berry, really enjoyable. 2 tsp of this tea gave me, in total, 6 12 oz cups. Not too shabby!!

ashmanra

I really enjoy this one hot and cold, and to me it changes personality when cold!

Uniquity

I can see that..my second cup was much cooler and was like drinking a totally different tea. And that was just at room temperature!

ashmanra

Mmmm-hmmmm! Hot, it is quiet, solitary, book-reading peaceful tea. Cold, it is bright and sunny. I can almost hear Katrina and the Waves singing “Walking on Sunshine!”

teawing

Did I hear an 80’s musical reference?

ashmanra

:) Just told everybody how old I am!

QuiltGuppy

I hear you… and I think I know all the words to the song.

SimplyJenW

Me too…..

Uniquity

I was listening to it last night, actually. Thought Ashmanra had wonderful timing! : )

teawing

That makes us all classics I guess…

Indigobloom

haha me to. but then I love music almost as much as I love tea! :P

A black based cranberry tea with almond…sounds delicious. Making this my last pot of tea before bed.

I can note a sweet and fruity scent from the blend whilst raw but it’s somewhat artificial.

There is a definite nuttiness in the aroma once it’s steeped with a hint of cocoa. Flavour is sweet and slightly tart with a medium thickness overall. It also tastes a little cocoa like too. The more I drink the richer it becomes and less fruity.

I think it was a nice pot of tea but not sure it would be something I would like to frequent.