Boston Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Almond, Black Teas, Cranberry, Vanilla
Berries, Nuts, Vanilla
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Its not official, but I always feel like the last day of November is the end of Winter. So I thought it would be appropriate to finish off this autumnal tea today. Sob. I love you Boston, I dont...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 901 tasting notes
  • “This is a good news/bad news sorta thing: my Harney&Sons order arrived today! Holy moley you guys. Everything smells so amazing! I guess the bad news is that I am UP to 145 teas, and some of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes
  • “Okay all, I am getting ready to preach! Three years ago this week I went for a mammogram. I was about a year late because I was too busy to get one and since I was the poster child for low risk...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1826 tasting notes
  • “I was reading Rosehip's review of this tea and decided it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Today the almond seems a bit stronger than usual, but I'm fine with that. It works well with the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 722 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A blend of black tea, cranberry and almond flavors inspired by the cranberry bogs south of Boston. Mike Harney is a big fan of cranberries, so he made another blend that incorporates this wonderfully flavorful little fruit.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

In all the years of buying tea from Harney and Sons, I have no idea why I’ve never tried this tea. Well, that is all about to end today with the sample size I got to try.

Smells very much like cranberries in the bag, but I have to say, a bit artificial. Flavor is a bit more subtle than I thought it would be, I think that’s a good thing. The brewed cup has a faint fruity aroma and the tea itself is definitely berry with a bit of tartness. I would say there is a richness underneath, I’m not sure I would pick that out as almond if I was in a blind taste test.

It is an enjoyable cup, especially if you are looking for one to sip on plain. I like it but I’m just not sure I need a cranberry tea in my stash.

Made this one as a cold brew. Brewed for about 12 hours. It tasted like a black tea, some cranberry, kind of a fruit loops flavour that I find some Harney’s tea has. There is a very subtle almondish flavour. Sweet enough on its own, no need to add any sweetener.

How could I not drink Boston today? It’s the first new tea I’m trying from the Harney & Sons order, and even though it’s a black, I’m drinking it at 8pm. Oh well. Respect.

Dry, it smells exactly like cranberry juice. Yum. Cranberry juice is my favorite.

It also tastes very cranberry-y, but a little less tart and in your face. I suppose the almond comes through a bit more, with a light nuttiness to balance out the tart berry. It’s a very cozy blend, I can imagine it would be fantastic for when the weather just starts to get cool and you have to pull the sweaters out of the closet. Of course, it’s still delicious no matter what time of year, I am certainly enjoying my cup (and now, my second steep).

I’m excited to try the rest of my Harney & Sons samples, but kind of hoping that they all let me down. I love these teas so far, but dang, they are a pain to order from.

Lala

I think I pretty much made the exact same order you did from Harney. I also lament their shipping fees and times. But what to do…I’m addicted.

jessiwrites

Gah, that’s not at all what I want to hear! Hahaha!

I could have a bit of an easier time getting orders from hArney via my tea mule, but I’m actually afraid to place an order with them for fear ill love too many of them. Heh

Dear god, is it it true??!! Could there possibly be a cranberry-flavoured tea out there that doesn’t taste like it’s loaded with hibiscus?!

This tea is berry-flavoured with just a hint of sourness and it actually tastes like real cranberries, though they keep the flavour subtle. I’m also picking up the hint of almonds other people have been talking about, and while it seems like it would be mis-matched with the cranberry the two flavours actually blend together quite well.

I got to try this tea from the “Here is hoping traveling teabox”.

One sniff and I knew I would LOVE IT. Once brewed it seemed suprisingly familiar even though I had never tried it before…then I realized. The Tea Gathering House Blend (http://steepster.com/teas/the-tea-gathering/23725-tg-house-blend) which I LOVE is the same tea. I know that the owner of the Tea Gathering sources some of her tea from Harney. I am certain this is the same tea.

I do adore this tea no matter what it is named. It is a yummy almond-y cranberry confection. Yum!

I added a sample of this tea to my Harneys order on a whim, and after smelling it, I am so glad that I did! The dry leaves smell heavily of sweet and mellow cranberries – like fresh cranberries. There is also a note of underlying almond in there too. The tea reminds me of the way a cranberry almond scone smells. I’m loving that the cranberry smells so real, with no artificialness. The flavor is malty and slightly tart from the cranberry. I was wondering if the cranberry would be too tart, since that is what comes to mind when I think about cranberry flavored things, but it’s just a little sharp tartness. The aftertaste is a light, sweet cranberry flavor with a little nutty almond flavor. Adding milk and sugar makes this the perfect cup of tea – smooth and slightly creamy with all of the flavors blending together well. I think I will be ordering a tin of this one!

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves and twigs.
-Dry leaves smell heavily of sweet and mellow cranberry with a hint of almond. Tea liquor aroma is of a fresh baked cranberry almond scone.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium brown color.
-Malty and slightly tart cranberry flavor and finish. Light sweet cranberry and nutty almond aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Excellent tea. A smooth cup with sweet cranberry and nutty almond. Flavors are perfectly balanced.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

mmm..! Sounds good!

Josie Jade

It’s very good, I highly recommend it! :)

Thank you to Jes for this sample!

This is a very fragrant tea. I couldn’t find measurement on the website, so I assumed the sample was for one cup.
It’s definitely caffeinated, rich in flavour. I’m not keen on the cranberry, it tastes almost medicinal. I can definitely see how it would appeal to some though. It’s very well balance and smooth. You can taste almonds and vanilla as well.

Steep Information:
Amount: 4 teaspoons
Water: 1000ml water @ 212°F
Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL
Steep Time: 2:30 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell:
AmazonV: fruity, apple? berry?
MilitiaJim: The dry tea smells like strawberries, which is a bummer. (He does not like them.)
Steeped Tea Smell:
AmazonV: fruity, mulled cider?
MilitiaJim: The brewed tea smells more like apricots
Flavor:
AmazonV: almond, fruity, black tea finish
MilitiaJim: It has light fruit and almond flavor.
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: astringent
Liquor: dark amber

It doesn’t taste the same as when we sampled it in the store, I wonder how they brewed it up? The tea is still very delicious and enjoyable. It makes me think of some kind of holiday cookie.

Post-Steep Additives: German rock sugar – more fruit flavor.

Pictures: http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/12/harney-and-sons-loose-leaf-black-tea.html

Today is a bit crazy. A final all morning, work from 12:30-5, and my on campus job from 6-midnight. All while trying to survive in Mafia, which is basically a campus-wide excuse to run around shooting each other with nerf guns. So I KNEW I had to start the day strong with some black tea. This was the first one I came to, so I decided to give it a try.

Unfortunately, my travel mug is a bit soapy. Not too much, but its there. I know that’s spoiling the flavor, but I did get a bit of cranberry as it cooled.

Kittenna

Augh, soapy mugs are The Worst.

I was hoping for something more with this tea. I’ve found most cranberry teas I try to be nothing short of amazing. There’s just something about cranberry in tea that’s pretty awesome.

This one was not that amazing unfortunately. The cranberries were there, but I found them almost too tart. I’m thinking the mix of the black tea with cranberry just made it a bit too much for my liking. On the upside, my fiance enjoyed it, so he can finish off my sample pack!