Boston Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Almond, Black Teas, Cranberry, Vanilla
Berries, Nuts, Vanilla
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Its not official, but I always feel like the last day of November is the end of Winter. So I thought it would be appropriate to finish off this autumnal tea today. Sob. I love you Boston, I dont...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 903 tasting notes
  • “This is a good news/bad news sorta thing: my Harney&Sons order arrived today! Holy moley you guys. Everything smells so amazing! I guess the bad news is that I am UP to 145 teas, and some of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1694 tasting notes
  • “Okay all, I am getting ready to preach! Three years ago this week I went for a mammogram. I was about a year late because I was too busy to get one and since I was the poster child for low risk...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1828 tasting notes
  • “I was reading Rosehip's review of this tea and decided it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Today the almond seems a bit stronger than usual, but I'm fine with that. It works well with the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 729 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A blend of black tea, cranberry and almond flavors inspired by the cranberry bogs south of Boston. Mike Harney is a big fan of cranberries, so he made another blend that incorporates this wonderfully flavorful little fruit.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I generally don’t like almond or any nut flavored teas, but I do like fruity black teas and cranberries, so I thought I would try this one. It isn’t bad, but I could do without the almond flavor. There is no bad aftertaste and it’s not bitter. My husband really likes it, and he is picky about black teas of any kind.

My sister picked this up this weekend. She made me a cup this evening. Quite a tasty cup! I LOVE cranberry so this one seems right up my alley. I liked it, but it was a bit sweet/tart, so it won’t be an everyday cuppa.

I love this tea. I first got it as a sample from H&S, and I immediately knew I had to have more. It is the perfect tea for fall. It has a beautifully smooth base, tastes like cranberries without being too tart, and has a juicy, sweet taste that makes me crave it specifically. It smells amazing, too. I was going to try Cranberry Autumn, but was afraid I wouldn’t like it as much as Boston, so I just ordered a tin of this. My first cup in, I know it was a wise decision.

This is a wonderful tea for using in desserts. It makes a lovely ice cream and an excellent creme brulee. I have never tried drinking it with milk, though looking at what I just typed, it seems it goes well with milk and sugar. :) Strong fruit flavors and a good black base. It isn’t my every day drink just to drink a cup, but I keep it around for use in cooking.

The dry leaf has a heady, almost liquor-like cranberry aroma. Brewed there’s something warm and spicy, which I welcome to balance the fruity tartness of cranberry (memories of horrid “Zinger”-ish stuff from Celestial Seasonings as a kid…shudder). I might be imagining it but I think there’s vanilla? That makes this super welcome, and reminds me of one of my all-time favorite seasonal desserts, Laurie Colwin’s Nantucket Cranberry Pie (really more of a cobbler). Just the reminder of it is making me smile.

EDIT: Ah! For once I got it right. The copy says there’s almond to go with the cranberry, and the major components of Colwin’s (super easy to make, yum) dish are cranberries and almond extract. Huzzah!

There’s an oh-so-slight bitterness; perhaps next time I’ll brew at a lower temp, or for a bit less time. Unlike a lot of flavored teas, this is not very sweet at all. Has kind of a juicy mouthfeel. I appreciate that the cranberry tastes like actual fresh cranberry, not that whole garish whack-you-over-the-head mere tartness, but juice and that crisp clean-tasting flavor good cranberries have.

I attempted to cold-brew a small batch of this tea (2 teaspoons for 10 oz, steeped and put in the refrigerator for about 10 hours). I added a bit of sugar, since I was in the mood for a lightly sweetened iced tea.

The cranberry flavour dominates the tea, with a hint of something vanilla-y in the background. I’d imagine this would be very refreshing on a hot summer day.

Iced

I’ve never been so wooed by a flavored tea before. Really.

This tea must’ve just hit me at the right time. It steeps very quickly—I got two very even steeps at 3 minutes and 5 minutes respectively, and both cups came out full-flavored.

The cranberry is the first thing you notice, but it’s mellow and not at all in the way. The almond flavor adds a roundness, very calm and creamy. The tea itself acts simply as a carrier for the flavors that are added to it and do a fine job of not getting in the way.

This is just wonderful. I note the almond more intensely as I start, but as the cup cools, the cranberry comes to the forefront. It’s the same story with the second cup. It’s a perfect combination and I approve heartily. :)

It’s nice purchasing small packs of things so I can try a little of this or that and not waste too much money. I bought the sampler from Teasipper and have been waiting for cooler weather to dive in. And I’ve been lazy :). This is kinda nice but I couldn’t tell without reading the description what it was supposed to be tasting like… I like it but I don’t love it… Tastes good with cookies :D

This tea has an interesting aroma; it’s not quite fruity, not quite floral, and almost vanilla. The flavor is a subtle, slightly sour cranberry taste with a very light, almost unnoticeable almond finish. It also seems to taste a little like vanilla. Cream and sugar soften the sourness and bring out the almond a little more. I would personally prefer the almond flavor to be a little more pronounced, but I’m not a big fan of cranberry. I’d be delighted if Harney & Sons offered a tea with just almond flavoring (hint, hint, Harneys!). My preferences aside, I think this is indeed a good tea for cranberry lovers.

I thought this tea might be super tart because of the cranberries, but as it happens, I don’t think I would guess there were cranberries in this if I hadn’t read about it. The tea is extremely fruity in a general berry kind of way. It reminds me of Paris, but it’s like the balance of flavors has shifted. Paris tastes like an equal blend of berry, vanilla, and chocolate. It’s smooth and mellow, and like the dancers in a chorus line, no one element particularly stands out. In Boston, the berries are dialed way up – it’s sweeter and there is a touch of tang, and the vanilla, almond, and chocolate have been given a minor role. (I can’t find anything that says there should be chocolate notes in this, but I am tasting them nonetheless). They’re both delicious, and while I wouldn’t expect to need two such similar teas, I do. I must have both. As soon as I finish up this sample I’ll be putting in an order.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML