Boston Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Almond, Black Teas, Cranberry, Vanilla
Berries, Nuts, Vanilla
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Its not official, but I always feel like the last day of November is the end of Winter. So I thought it would be appropriate to finish off this autumnal tea today. Sob. I love you Boston, I dont...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 823 tasting notes
  • “This is a good news/bad news sorta thing: my Harney&Sons order arrived today! Holy moley you guys. Everything smells so amazing! I guess the bad news is that I am UP to 145 teas, and some of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1617 tasting notes
  • “Okay all, I am getting ready to preach! Three years ago this week I went for a mammogram. I was about a year late because I was too busy to get one and since I was the poster child for low risk...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1796 tasting notes
  • “I was reading Rosehip's review of this tea and decided it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Today the almond seems a bit stronger than usual, but I'm fine with that. It works well with the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 644 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A blend of black tea, cranberry and almond flavors inspired by the cranberry bogs south of Boston. Mike Harney is a big fan of cranberries, so he made another blend that incorporates this wonderfully flavorful little fruit.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I generally don’t like almond or any nut flavored teas, but I do like fruity black teas and cranberries, so I thought I would try this one. It isn’t bad, but I could do without the almond flavor. There is no bad aftertaste and it’s not bitter. My husband really likes it, and he is picky about black teas of any kind.

My sister picked this up this weekend. She made me a cup this evening. Quite a tasty cup! I LOVE cranberry so this one seems right up my alley. I liked it, but it was a bit sweet/tart, so it won’t be an everyday cuppa.

I love this tea. I first got it as a sample from H&S, and I immediately knew I had to have more. It is the perfect tea for fall. It has a beautifully smooth base, tastes like cranberries without being too tart, and has a juicy, sweet taste that makes me crave it specifically. It smells amazing, too. I was going to try Cranberry Autumn, but was afraid I wouldn’t like it as much as Boston, so I just ordered a tin of this. My first cup in, I know it was a wise decision.

This is a wonderful tea for using in desserts. It makes a lovely ice cream and an excellent creme brulee. I have never tried drinking it with milk, though looking at what I just typed, it seems it goes well with milk and sugar. :) Strong fruit flavors and a good black base. It isn’t my every day drink just to drink a cup, but I keep it around for use in cooking.

The dry leaf has a heady, almost liquor-like cranberry aroma. Brewed there’s something warm and spicy, which I welcome to balance the fruity tartness of cranberry (memories of horrid “Zinger”-ish stuff from Celestial Seasonings as a kid…shudder). I might be imagining it but I think there’s vanilla? That makes this super welcome, and reminds me of one of my all-time favorite seasonal desserts, Laurie Colwin’s Nantucket Cranberry Pie (really more of a cobbler). Just the reminder of it is making me smile.

EDIT: Ah! For once I got it right. The copy says there’s almond to go with the cranberry, and the major components of Colwin’s (super easy to make, yum) dish are cranberries and almond extract. Huzzah!

There’s an oh-so-slight bitterness; perhaps next time I’ll brew at a lower temp, or for a bit less time. Unlike a lot of flavored teas, this is not very sweet at all. Has kind of a juicy mouthfeel. I appreciate that the cranberry tastes like actual fresh cranberry, not that whole garish whack-you-over-the-head mere tartness, but juice and that crisp clean-tasting flavor good cranberries have.

I attempted to cold-brew a small batch of this tea (2 teaspoons for 10 oz, steeped and put in the refrigerator for about 10 hours). I added a bit of sugar, since I was in the mood for a lightly sweetened iced tea.

The cranberry flavour dominates the tea, with a hint of something vanilla-y in the background. I’d imagine this would be very refreshing on a hot summer day.

Iced

I’ve never been so wooed by a flavored tea before. Really.

This tea must’ve just hit me at the right time. It steeps very quickly—I got two very even steeps at 3 minutes and 5 minutes respectively, and both cups came out full-flavored.

The cranberry is the first thing you notice, but it’s mellow and not at all in the way. The almond flavor adds a roundness, very calm and creamy. The tea itself acts simply as a carrier for the flavors that are added to it and do a fine job of not getting in the way.

This is just wonderful. I note the almond more intensely as I start, but as the cup cools, the cranberry comes to the forefront. It’s the same story with the second cup. It’s a perfect combination and I approve heartily. :)

It’s nice purchasing small packs of things so I can try a little of this or that and not waste too much money. I bought the sampler from Teasipper and have been waiting for cooler weather to dive in. And I’ve been lazy :). This is kinda nice but I couldn’t tell without reading the description what it was supposed to be tasting like… I like it but I don’t love it… Tastes good with cookies :D

This tea has an interesting aroma; it’s not quite fruity, not quite floral, and almost vanilla. The flavor is a subtle, slightly sour cranberry taste with a very light, almost unnoticeable almond finish. It also seems to taste a little like vanilla. Cream and sugar soften the sourness and bring out the almond a little more. I would personally prefer the almond flavor to be a little more pronounced, but I’m not a big fan of cranberry. I’d be delighted if Harney & Sons offered a tea with just almond flavoring (hint, hint, Harneys!). My preferences aside, I think this is indeed a good tea for cranberry lovers.

I love when tea triggers happy childhood memories.

When I was a little girl, my grandma used to make the most fabulous dessert. On a hot summer night, she would pick fresh stawberries from the garden and make strawberry whipped cream with melted chocolate on top. It was simple, but we were always in awe at how good it was.

I know this blend is supposed to be about cranberries, but to me it tastes like strawberries and cream, drizzled with melted hot chocolate! Nothing complicated, just awesome goodness.

It’s one of my favourite fruity blend from Harney’s, so soft and creamy. Makes an excellent dessert tea!

I have no fancy notes to write about this one, it’s all about the comfort and memories it provides…

mj

Yay for tea that brings out grandma-related memories :-)

TheTeaFairy

And I’m so lucky to still have her around in good health :-)

Cameron B.

So it was like a very simple strawberry mousse? That sounds fantastic!

TheTeaFairy

Basically yes, it was a mousse…but at the time, we were just calling it strawberry whipped cream, it was served in rustic ceramic bowls, I guess it sounded more “child friendly” :-)

Cameron B.

Mm, now I really want to make some kind of fantastically tasty mousse concoction! Tomorrow! :D

TheTeaFairy

The funny thing is, I hate cream, I never have it in anything. Whenever there’s a need for it in a recipe, I use Greek yogourt instead! But I love “creamy and buttery” in tea, lol ;-)

mj

I’m lucky to have one of my grandmas still around too :-)

Terri HarpLady

Now I’m thinking I need to make some coconut whipped cream to enjoy with all my black raspberries!

TheTeaFairy

I’m so happy for you mj1851 :-)

TheTeaFairy

Uh, what?? Coconut whipped cream? Is that dairy free Terri? If so, WANT!!!
(BTW, I had my fist yunnan sourcing tea yesterday, so good, thank you!!!)

Terri HarpLady

Take a can of full fat coconut milk (I use Thai kitchen) & put it in the fridge. Leave it there for a couple of days.
When you’re ready to be amazed & experience wonderful decadence, open the top of the can & scoop off all the really thick creaminess that rose to the top & solidified there. Try to get it all, but leave behind the coconut water, which you can drink, or put in a smoothie, or whatever.
Put your thick coconut cream in a bowl & whip it with electric beaters, but only long enough to make it fluffy. We like to add vanilla (I never measure) & a little maple syrup, & then whip it. I’ve also successfully whipped it with a whisk, but the electric beaters are best. Now you can scoop it on everything! Pancakes, waffles, fruit salad, berries. Or just eat it. Or layer it with other yummy things. You can put it in the fridge, & it will be like your own secret stash of cool whip. You can also use it as creamer. Enjoy! Put a can in the fridge now! :)

Terri HarpLady

Disclaimer: Sometimes there isn’t a very thick layer of cream in the can. Other times almost the entire can is cream. You can never know which way it will go, so I always keep 2 cans in the fridge, just in case I need a backup.

Terri HarpLady

While we’re at it, you’d like some ice cream too:
Dump 2 cans of coconut milk into the blend with some vanilla, nutmeg, & a little maple syrup (or other sweeter). You can add a few eggs too, if you like. Blend until smooth, dump it in your ice cream maker (if you have one). Let her rip!
OR 1 can coconut milk, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple, & a bag of frozen peaches (or other fruit). Blend, etc…
Now I want ice cream.
Now I want black raspberry cobbler (gluten free) & vanilla ice cream, with whipped cream on top…
See what you’ve done ;)

MissLena

That coconut whipped cream sounds heavenly! Definitely want to try it sometime! I will try to remember where this is posted lol :D

sherapop

I love coconut milk ice cream! I’ve made it many times. It’s better than dairy ice cream—provided that one likes coconut. ;-)

sherapop

Now I must try the coconut whipped cream. Thank you for the instructions, Terri HarpLady! Yum!

Terri HarpLady

There are multiple recipes available on various blogs too, just in case you forget! :)

TheTeaFairy

Awww! Thank you! Will try it tomorrow only after I buy tons of cans! I usually use it only for savoury dishes, curries, etc… (I have only the regular coconut milk right now) i love the idea of my own “cool whip” stash in the fridge at all time ;-)

Sorry I gave you so many cravings at once!

I make frozen fruit coconut ice cream too but in the Vitamix. I often use frozen bananas for that “real” ice cream texture, makes the best ice cream ever!!

Yeah, I love my Vitamix!
Oh, by full fat coconut milk, I just mean don’t get the low fat kind, because it won’t work.

Terri HarpLady

I’m really going to bed now…