Boston Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Almond, Black Teas, Cranberry, Vanilla
Almond, Cranberry, Smooth, Bergamot, Burnt Sugar, Vanilla, Berry, Sweet, Berries, Nuts
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “I have written one thousand notes on Steepster! Hooray! I know this is small potatoes for some of you, but I'm quite pleased. Steepster has given me such a lovely community of tea drinkers, and...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1020 tasting notes
  • “This is a good news/bad news sorta thing: my Harney&Sons order arrived today! Holy moley you guys. Everything smells so amazing! I guess the bad news is that I am UP to 145 teas, and some of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Okay all, I am getting ready to preach! Three years ago this week I went for a mammogram. I was about a year late because I was too busy to get one and since I was the poster child for low risk...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1858 tasting notes
  • “I was reading Rosehip's review of this tea and decided it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Today the almond seems a bit stronger than usual, but I'm fine with that. It works well with the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 789 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A blend of black tea, cranberry and almond flavors inspired by the cranberry bogs south of Boston. Mike Harney is a big fan of cranberries, so he made another blend that incorporates this wonderfully flavorful little fruit.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I never realized how much this song was about rebirth and transformation, but aren’t all soft rock songs? I’m not actively seeking to reinvent myself right now, but Boston by Augustana just seems to fit Harney & Sons’ Boston Blend.

Now, there’s one line in the song that is completely out of place. Let me transcribe a few lines for you:

I think I’ll start it over, where no one knows my name,
I’ll get out of California, I’m tired of the weather,
I think I’ll get a lover and fly him out to Spain…
Oh yeah and I think I’ll go to Boston,

Did you see it? It’s just barely audible, but apparently Augustana couldn’t find any adequate rhymes for name – except Spain. And how does everyone associate with the Spanish? Well, clearly lust and escape and sex and gigolos and the sexual revolution of the 1980s.

Unfortunately, the boys seem oblivious of their own city’s claim to fame on the erotica game: “Banned in Boston”. Indeed, the fabled city on a hill and critically acclaimed Protestant haven, Boston has tirelessly defended against the ever-increasing lewd and licentious dangers plaguing modern society. Much like our aforementioned guardian, Iggy Azalea, of sexual purity, Boston’s long-standing Watch and Ward Society censored the likes of the evil Upton Sinclair, Faulkner, HG Wells, and Ernest Hemingway. Thank gourd Harry Potter wasn’t around to plague the youth of Boston!

Thus, adding another page to our Caulfield-like repertoire, we see the boys of Augustana desire to return to a period of innocence since lost. See no evil.

Here’s a Creed song: http://youtu.be/iBBqjGd3fHQ

Flavors: Bergamot, Burnt Sugar, Vanilla

Excellent tea. I put less in the strainer than I might normally because the sample is so small, so a little less flavorful than I might expect, but I’m sure that’ll change once I have a full tin.

As good iced as it is hot. Cranberries do not overpower the taste of the tea – just add a bit of slightly fruity sweetness. Love this iced – may be my new go to for colder weather iced tea. An all around delicious black.

Flavors: Cranberry, Sweet, Vanilla

Boiling 8 min or more 5 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

I thought this tea might be super tart because of the cranberries, but as it happens, I don’t think I would guess there were cranberries in this if I hadn’t read about it. The tea is extremely fruity in a general berry kind of way. It reminds me of Paris, but it’s like the balance of flavors has shifted. Paris tastes like an equal blend of berry, vanilla, and chocolate. It’s smooth and mellow, and like the dancers in a chorus line, no one element particularly stands out. In Boston, the berries are dialed way up – it’s sweeter and there is a touch of tang, and the vanilla, almond, and chocolate have been given a minor role. (I can’t find anything that says there should be chocolate notes in this, but I am tasting them nonetheless). They’re both delicious, and while I wouldn’t expect to need two such similar teas, I do. I must have both. As soon as I finish up this sample I’ll be putting in an order.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

One from my awesome swap with VariaTEA and tonight I had a simple no-nonsense cup on a short steep of around 2mins. Really tasty, a nice black tea with a touch of sweetness. The first time I tried it was in a cold brew overnight and the flavouring was so delicate it didn’t really come through—but tonight we have a winner!

Wow, this tea is so creamy and delicious. Not at all sour or bitter like I imagined it might be, based on the cranberry aspect.

I’ve had Boston Blend on my wishlist for awhile, I’ve seen raving reviews for it pop up every now and again in my feed.

I am not disappointed! The very second I cracked open the tin to sniff the leaves I knew I would enjoy it. I was right.

It’s creamy and fruity and the almond adds a nice sweetness to balance off the cranberries.

It’s a flavoured blend done very well.
Huzzah!

I love when tea triggers happy childhood memories.

When I was a little girl, my grandma used to make the most fabulous dessert. On a hot summer night, she would pick fresh stawberries from the garden and make strawberry whipped cream with melted chocolate on top. It was simple, but we were always in awe at how good it was.

I know this blend is supposed to be about cranberries, but to me it tastes like strawberries and cream, drizzled with melted hot chocolate! Nothing complicated, just awesome goodness.

It’s one of my favourite fruity blend from Harney’s, so soft and creamy. Makes an excellent dessert tea!

I have no fancy notes to write about this one, it’s all about the comfort and memories it provides…

mj

Yay for tea that brings out grandma-related memories :-)

TheTeaFairy

And I’m so lucky to still have her around in good health :-)

Cameron B.

So it was like a very simple strawberry mousse? That sounds fantastic!

TheTeaFairy

Basically yes, it was a mousse…but at the time, we were just calling it strawberry whipped cream, it was served in rustic ceramic bowls, I guess it sounded more “child friendly” :-)

Cameron B.

Mm, now I really want to make some kind of fantastically tasty mousse concoction! Tomorrow! :D

TheTeaFairy

The funny thing is, I hate cream, I never have it in anything. Whenever there’s a need for it in a recipe, I use Greek yogourt instead! But I love “creamy and buttery” in tea, lol ;-)

mj

I’m lucky to have one of my grandmas still around too :-)

Terri HarpLady

Now I’m thinking I need to make some coconut whipped cream to enjoy with all my black raspberries!

TheTeaFairy

I’m so happy for you mj1851 :-)

TheTeaFairy

Uh, what?? Coconut whipped cream? Is that dairy free Terri? If so, WANT!!!
(BTW, I had my fist yunnan sourcing tea yesterday, so good, thank you!!!)

Terri HarpLady

Take a can of full fat coconut milk (I use Thai kitchen) & put it in the fridge. Leave it there for a couple of days.
When you’re ready to be amazed & experience wonderful decadence, open the top of the can & scoop off all the really thick creaminess that rose to the top & solidified there. Try to get it all, but leave behind the coconut water, which you can drink, or put in a smoothie, or whatever.
Put your thick coconut cream in a bowl & whip it with electric beaters, but only long enough to make it fluffy. We like to add vanilla (I never measure) & a little maple syrup, & then whip it. I’ve also successfully whipped it with a whisk, but the electric beaters are best. Now you can scoop it on everything! Pancakes, waffles, fruit salad, berries. Or just eat it. Or layer it with other yummy things. You can put it in the fridge, & it will be like your own secret stash of cool whip. You can also use it as creamer. Enjoy! Put a can in the fridge now! :)

Terri HarpLady

Disclaimer: Sometimes there isn’t a very thick layer of cream in the can. Other times almost the entire can is cream. You can never know which way it will go, so I always keep 2 cans in the fridge, just in case I need a backup.

Terri HarpLady

While we’re at it, you’d like some ice cream too:
Dump 2 cans of coconut milk into the blend with some vanilla, nutmeg, & a little maple syrup (or other sweeter). You can add a few eggs too, if you like. Blend until smooth, dump it in your ice cream maker (if you have one). Let her rip!
OR 1 can coconut milk, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple, & a bag of frozen peaches (or other fruit). Blend, etc…
Now I want ice cream.
Now I want black raspberry cobbler (gluten free) & vanilla ice cream, with whipped cream on top…
See what you’ve done ;)

MissLena

That coconut whipped cream sounds heavenly! Definitely want to try it sometime! I will try to remember where this is posted lol :D

sherapop

I love coconut milk ice cream! I’ve made it many times. It’s better than dairy ice cream—provided that one likes coconut. ;-)

sherapop

Now I must try the coconut whipped cream. Thank you for the instructions, Terri HarpLady! Yum!

Terri HarpLady

There are multiple recipes available on various blogs too, just in case you forget! :)

TheTeaFairy

Awww! Thank you! Will try it tomorrow only after I buy tons of cans! I usually use it only for savoury dishes, curries, etc… (I have only the regular coconut milk right now) i love the idea of my own “cool whip” stash in the fridge at all time ;-)

Sorry I gave you so many cravings at once!

I make frozen fruit coconut ice cream too but in the Vitamix. I often use frozen bananas for that “real” ice cream texture, makes the best ice cream ever!!

Yeah, I love my Vitamix!
Oh, by full fat coconut milk, I just mean don’t get the low fat kind, because it won’t work.

Terri HarpLady

I’m really going to bed now…

Another from “ATTB”. This is nice, nothing that is making me do a jig, but a nice strong black tea. Due to DeliriumsFrogs I am watching/reading (it’s subtitled) The Returned on Netflix today while I sip this and do laundry.

DeliriumsFrogs

Oooh, what do you think of the show? We have two episodes left, and I’m not sure where it’s headed…wondering if I’ll like how they wrap up the season.
I really do love the cast, though.

whatshesaid

I started watching the first episode of that this winter, I will have to keep going

Marzipan

I’m just about to watch “Victor”, not sure how many are after that. I read that Resurrection was based on it, but I think The Returned is better (and darker). Also Whatshesaid, every time I try to open my messages on my iPad it crashes, I’ll check for your response on my computer in the morning.

This one smells like the winter holidays—cranberry, and a mixture of sweet aromas that reminded me of caramel, though I’m not sure that’s one of the ingredients. There’s a bit of sweet almond in there too.

The tea brews a lighter color than most black teas I’ve encountered. The tea base is mild, malty, and unassuming, and reminds me of Fairmont Maple Maple. The appearance of the leaves in these two blends are very similar as well. The cranberry flavor is distinct and crisp, but this is definitely a “mellow” black tea. I wasn’t sure if I liked this one or Tower of London better, but it gets more points for being unique.

Cranberry and almond?! I would not have thought cranberry and almond from a name like Boston Blend! For some reason I would have expected something coffee related. Is Boston even associated with coffee?

Anyways, a little bitter at first and much nicer after the addition of sweetener which makes sense since cranberries are so tart and bitter. It is really an interesting mix and I’m not sure how I feel about it. Almost perfumy for a second in different parts of the sip. I get more cranberry than I do almond. I have to admit I’m not a huge cranberry fan, but I had never tried it with almond which sounded intriguing. Tiny bit of cranberry tartness in the after sip. I think I can sum it up as an interesting experiment in flavor pairing, but not a winner for my tastes.

I almost ordered a sample of this on Harney’s website a month ago, but ended up swapping with VaraiTEA instead. Thanks for the chance to try this!

P.S. I still have a faint taste of cranberry in my mouth 20 minutes after finishing this cup! I bet this tea would go great with turkey!

__Morgana__

I’m not aware of Boston being associated with coffee. I lived there for a few years (admittedly many years ago) but mostly it was associated with baked beans. But Massachusetts has a lot of cranberry bogs and is definitely associated with them. Not sure about the almond piece.

Dustin

Hmmmm… confusion with coffee beans and baked beans then?
I didn’t know about there being cranberry bogs there! I never even thought about where cranberries might grow.