Boston Blend

Black Fruit Blend
Almond, Black Teas, Cranberry, Vanilla
Berries, Nuts, Vanilla
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Its not official, but I always feel like the last day of November is the end of Winter. So I thought it would be appropriate to finish off this autumnal tea today. Sob. I love you Boston, I dont...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 885 tasting notes
  • “This is a good news/bad news sorta thing: my Harney&Sons order arrived today! Holy moley you guys. Everything smells so amazing! I guess the bad news is that I am UP to 145 teas, and some of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1681 tasting notes
  • “Okay all, I am getting ready to preach! Three years ago this week I went for a mammogram. I was about a year late because I was too busy to get one and since I was the poster child for low risk...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1817 tasting notes
  • “I was reading Rosehip's review of this tea and decided it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Today the almond seems a bit stronger than usual, but I'm fine with that. It works well with the...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 698 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A blend of black tea, cranberry and almond flavors inspired by the cranberry bogs south of Boston. Mike Harney is a big fan of cranberries, so he made another blend that incorporates this wonderfully flavorful little fruit.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I love when tea triggers happy childhood memories.

When I was a little girl, my grandma used to make the most fabulous dessert. On a hot summer night, she would pick fresh stawberries from the garden and make strawberry whipped cream with melted chocolate on top. It was simple, but we were always in awe at how good it was.

I know this blend is supposed to be about cranberries, but to me it tastes like strawberries and cream, drizzled with melted hot chocolate! Nothing complicated, just awesome goodness.

It’s one of my favourite fruity blend from Harney’s, so soft and creamy. Makes an excellent dessert tea!

I have no fancy notes to write about this one, it’s all about the comfort and memories it provides…

mj

Yay for tea that brings out grandma-related memories :-)

TheTeaFairy

And I’m so lucky to still have her around in good health :-)

Cameron B.

So it was like a very simple strawberry mousse? That sounds fantastic!

TheTeaFairy

Basically yes, it was a mousse…but at the time, we were just calling it strawberry whipped cream, it was served in rustic ceramic bowls, I guess it sounded more “child friendly” :-)

Cameron B.

Mm, now I really want to make some kind of fantastically tasty mousse concoction! Tomorrow! :D

TheTeaFairy

The funny thing is, I hate cream, I never have it in anything. Whenever there’s a need for it in a recipe, I use Greek yogourt instead! But I love “creamy and buttery” in tea, lol ;-)

mj

I’m lucky to have one of my grandmas still around too :-)

Terri HarpLady

Now I’m thinking I need to make some coconut whipped cream to enjoy with all my black raspberries!

TheTeaFairy

I’m so happy for you mj1851 :-)

TheTeaFairy

Uh, what?? Coconut whipped cream? Is that dairy free Terri? If so, WANT!!!
(BTW, I had my fist yunnan sourcing tea yesterday, so good, thank you!!!)

Terri HarpLady

Take a can of full fat coconut milk (I use Thai kitchen) & put it in the fridge. Leave it there for a couple of days.
When you’re ready to be amazed & experience wonderful decadence, open the top of the can & scoop off all the really thick creaminess that rose to the top & solidified there. Try to get it all, but leave behind the coconut water, which you can drink, or put in a smoothie, or whatever.
Put your thick coconut cream in a bowl & whip it with electric beaters, but only long enough to make it fluffy. We like to add vanilla (I never measure) & a little maple syrup, & then whip it. I’ve also successfully whipped it with a whisk, but the electric beaters are best. Now you can scoop it on everything! Pancakes, waffles, fruit salad, berries. Or just eat it. Or layer it with other yummy things. You can put it in the fridge, & it will be like your own secret stash of cool whip. You can also use it as creamer. Enjoy! Put a can in the fridge now! :)

Terri HarpLady

Disclaimer: Sometimes there isn’t a very thick layer of cream in the can. Other times almost the entire can is cream. You can never know which way it will go, so I always keep 2 cans in the fridge, just in case I need a backup.

Terri HarpLady

While we’re at it, you’d like some ice cream too:
Dump 2 cans of coconut milk into the blend with some vanilla, nutmeg, & a little maple syrup (or other sweeter). You can add a few eggs too, if you like. Blend until smooth, dump it in your ice cream maker (if you have one). Let her rip!
OR 1 can coconut milk, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple, & a bag of frozen peaches (or other fruit). Blend, etc…
Now I want ice cream.
Now I want black raspberry cobbler (gluten free) & vanilla ice cream, with whipped cream on top…
See what you’ve done ;)

MissLena

That coconut whipped cream sounds heavenly! Definitely want to try it sometime! I will try to remember where this is posted lol :D

sherapop

I love coconut milk ice cream! I’ve made it many times. It’s better than dairy ice cream—provided that one likes coconut. ;-)

sherapop

Now I must try the coconut whipped cream. Thank you for the instructions, Terri HarpLady! Yum!

Terri HarpLady

There are multiple recipes available on various blogs too, just in case you forget! :)

TheTeaFairy

Awww! Thank you! Will try it tomorrow only after I buy tons of cans! I usually use it only for savoury dishes, curries, etc… (I have only the regular coconut milk right now) i love the idea of my own “cool whip” stash in the fridge at all time ;-)

Sorry I gave you so many cravings at once!

I make frozen fruit coconut ice cream too but in the Vitamix. I often use frozen bananas for that “real” ice cream texture, makes the best ice cream ever!!

Yeah, I love my Vitamix!
Oh, by full fat coconut milk, I just mean don’t get the low fat kind, because it won’t work.

Terri HarpLady

I’m really going to bed now…

Another from “ATTB”. This is nice, nothing that is making me do a jig, but a nice strong black tea. Due to DeliriumsFrogs I am watching/reading (it’s subtitled) The Returned on Netflix today while I sip this and do laundry.

DeliriumsFrogs

Oooh, what do you think of the show? We have two episodes left, and I’m not sure where it’s headed…wondering if I’ll like how they wrap up the season.
I really do love the cast, though.

whatshesaid

I started watching the first episode of that this winter, I will have to keep going

Marzipan

I’m just about to watch “Victor”, not sure how many are after that. I read that Resurrection was based on it, but I think The Returned is better (and darker). Also Whatshesaid, every time I try to open my messages on my iPad it crashes, I’ll check for your response on my computer in the morning.

This one smells like the winter holidays—cranberry, and a mixture of sweet aromas that reminded me of caramel, though I’m not sure that’s one of the ingredients. There’s a bit of sweet almond in there too.

The tea brews a lighter color than most black teas I’ve encountered. The tea base is mild, malty, and unassuming, and reminds me of Fairmont Maple Maple. The appearance of the leaves in these two blends are very similar as well. The cranberry flavor is distinct and crisp, but this is definitely a “mellow” black tea. I wasn’t sure if I liked this one or Tower of London better, but it gets more points for being unique.

Cranberry and almond?! I would not have thought cranberry and almond from a name like Boston Blend! For some reason I would have expected something coffee related. Is Boston even associated with coffee?

Anyways, a little bitter at first and much nicer after the addition of sweetener which makes sense since cranberries are so tart and bitter. It is really an interesting mix and I’m not sure how I feel about it. Almost perfumy for a second in different parts of the sip. I get more cranberry than I do almond. I have to admit I’m not a huge cranberry fan, but I had never tried it with almond which sounded intriguing. Tiny bit of cranberry tartness in the after sip. I think I can sum it up as an interesting experiment in flavor pairing, but not a winner for my tastes.

I almost ordered a sample of this on Harney’s website a month ago, but ended up swapping with VaraiTEA instead. Thanks for the chance to try this!

P.S. I still have a faint taste of cranberry in my mouth 20 minutes after finishing this cup! I bet this tea would go great with turkey!

__Morgana__

I’m not aware of Boston being associated with coffee. I lived there for a few years (admittedly many years ago) but mostly it was associated with baked beans. But Massachusetts has a lot of cranberry bogs and is definitely associated with them. Not sure about the almond piece.

Dustin

Hmmmm… confusion with coffee beans and baked beans then?
I didn’t know about there being cranberry bogs there! I never even thought about where cranberries might grow.

This is another H&S blend I tried tonight. The smell of this one was soooooo good! I was definitely getting the almond and a sweet fruity smell.

I had to make this one twice as I over steeped this the first time I made it and it was quite awful. Even though it wasn’t astringent or bitter, it just didn’t have any flavour and the base was quite dull and what I would describe as dirty tasting.

Ok, second steep. Really not much better. Base tastes about the same, very tired and boring, but also unpleasant. I kept adding sugar until it was drinkable and then it was ok, but only because all of that sugar toned down the base and brought out the flavour a bit more. I would never repurchase something I have to drown in sugar to semi-enjoy.

I’m kind of upset about this. I love the idea of a cranberry almond tea and I read such good things about this tea. What am I missing? I wish that someone that loved this tea could make it for me so I could see if I’m doing something wrong.

sherapop

Try it with cream before giving up forever! ;-)

ashleyelizabeth

Oh I did, I have to in most blacks. I always take a sip before I add it but I felt this needed it. It did not improve the flavour, it just muted it a bit. I only have one cup worth left, I only got a sample size, so I’ll just sneak that into a swap at some point :)

I don’t know where I got it in my head that this had coconut flavoring. I even convinced myself I could taste the coconut. After coming here and realizing there is no coconut I decided it was a good idea to have another cup.

I’m a weirdo, this taste nothing like coconut. Berry nutty, the cranberry flavoring is nice, I’m glad it is not like pucker your cheeks like eating a fresh cranberry. This is an easy tea to drink whenever. I only wish I didn’t waste the first two cups trying to find coconut. Thank you VariaTEA for sharing!

VariaTEA

You’re welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it :)

John Harney Appreciation Tea #12

Breaking news: I just discovered that Boston is better than Paris! Seriously, I imbibed this glass au naturel, and it was totally delicious! By force of habit, I reach naturally for cream when I prepare a flavored black tea, but I occasionally remember to take a sip plain before adulteration. Today I discovered that Boston tastes great with nothing added! Now I must increase my rating…

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 15 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Tamarindel

I need to try this one for sure :)

TheTeaFairy

Love this one, tastes like strawberries and cream to me :-)

sherapop

Tamarindel and TheTeaFairy: these flavored teas from H&S are slowly changing my drinking habits. It used to be that I added cream to every flavored black tea, but I find that the quality of the base is much better than usual in these cases.

Tamarindel

I agree! I don’t know what H&S is using for their black tea base, but it’s so smooth and blends beautifully with the flavors :)

Marketing!!!!

I was visiting my Auntie in Boston and saw this tea in the cupboard. It had a nice body and was perfectly balanced with cranberries. BUT, I bought a tin to take back home to Detroit and it didn’t feel the same. Maybe it was the water or maybe you just have to be in the city to like it.

My friend Amanda got me a lovely black tin of this for Christmas. It smells fantastically like cranberries and, when brewed, produces a tea with a yummy cranberry taste that lingers and doesn’t taste fake or anything. Plus, I love Boston, so this is a great tea.