Organic Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Harney & Sons

A blend of hand picked black teas from India. Scented in the traditional way with the essence of oil of Bergamot. Enjoy the Citrus scent as it steeps before taking a sip of this cup. A perfect and well-known afternoon tea. Round and Rich.

About Harney & Sons View company

Tea of the afternoon……

This is another sample I received from Russel. It is an organic blend made from “Assam that is mellowed a bit with a south Indian tea”. I do have to preface that I am generally not a fan of Indian teas. I do like them in a blend, but there has to be some kind of Chinese black in there. I know it sounds very picky, but it is just the flavor that my palate seems to gravitate toward.

This is definitely more bold than Earl Grey Supreme. The bergamot on this is a nice medium level, but really, the tea base is lost on me. I find it just a touch on the bitter side. I love the smoothness of Earl Grey Supreme. However, for those looking for an organic blend with a tea base of Indian teas that is a little more on the bold side, this is your Earl. I will definitely give it a try iced, because that could be a game changer. Stay tuned. Rating to come later after I have tried it a few more times. Maybe it needs a change in brewing parameters.

Usual mug method.

Harney & Sons The Store

3:30, 200*f is my typical method for a tasting in the Millerton tasting room. That makes a the sweeter tastes from the Nilgiri more present in the cup, helping out with the natural citrus/sweet bergamot. The way you brewed it makes a tasty cup of tea as well, but certainly the tea base will be more prominent.

SimplyJenW

Thanks for the info! I will give that a try. It is completely possible that Indian teas only elude me because I try to brew them like I do my Chinese blacks.

Ah, the last tea of the tin. I made this into a nice Earl Grey latte, frothed milk and all. Just what I was looking for this morning.

Sigh. I wanted to like it, but I just don’t. Earl Grey Supreme is magic. Plain old Earl Grey is not. I just don’t like it at all. There’s something missing.