Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I got this as a sample from Harney & Sons. I think this Tilleul must be an acquired taste or something. I was looking for something to use as a nighttime bev in addition to my chamomile and...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2180 tasting notes
  • “Wow, after reading these reviews I was terrified to try this, but as I'm having trouble being the least bit tired tonight I decided to give it a go. It really reminds me of CS Original Sleepytime...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1011 tasting notes
  • “This was my first experience with tilleul. I thought I would like it, but I was unimpressed. There just really wasn't much flavor to it at all; it went beyond "delicate" to "boiled water with a...” Read full tasting note
    peppermintplant 82 tasting notes
  • “After reading the reviews I was prepared to toss the cup after the first couple sips, but it's actually not bad at all. Full disclosure: freshly brewed, I think it smells like fresh cat urine. ...” Read full tasting note
    Starfish 86 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

From the picturesque village of Carpentras in Provence, France comes Tilleul, a light and lively blend of the linden tree’s fragrant flowers and leaves. The naturally caffeine-free herbal is prized for its subtle floral quality as well as its mild digestive and sleep benefits. The flowers and tender leaves produce a light, woodsy brew, as beautiful as its taste, in a mingling of forest-like green and yellow that’s all part of the charm. Now available in a box of 20ct Wrapped Sachets, and also with mint in a box of 20ct Wrapped Sachets.

About Harney & Sons View company

I got this as a sample from Harney & Sons. I think this Tilleul must be an acquired taste or something. I was looking for something to use as a nighttime bev in addition to my chamomile and verbena. This smells like a chlorinated swimming pool and tastes bitter to me. I am not one to sweeten any tea but I needed some sugar to help it along.

Recently I read this is a very popular cold remedy in Europe. I dunno… For sure not a favorite but I doubt this has anything to do with Harney. More likely it’s the nature of the beast.

307tea

I actually bought a box based on the description and had the same negative reaction. Not what I expected or desired. I just forgot about it until I realized I ran out of my chamomile tea during my latest flu/cold. Desperate I made a cup and let me tell you this tea is fabulous. Maybe with my lessened olfactory senses it tastes different, but for sure it is great. It is creamier than chamomile and more satisfying than lemon. and being sick, it really relieved some of my discomfort. I will not be without it during a cold season.

Wow, after reading these reviews I was terrified to try this, but as I’m having trouble being the least bit tired tonight I decided to give it a go. It really reminds me of CS Original Sleepytime but without the slight mint. With a bit of sweetener it isn’t that bad and if it helps me get to sleep sooner rather than later I’ll probably throw this or the mint version in the cart next time I order from Harney.

mpierce87

Actually, the more I drink this – its alright, but I’ll probably just stick with my bagged CS Sleepytime Vanilla that is so easy to come by.

mpierce87

Plus, I’m still not the least bit tired… :(

This was my first experience with tilleul. I thought I would like it, but I was unimpressed. There just really wasn’t much flavor to it at all; it went beyond “delicate” to “boiled water with a very slight aftertaste if you hunt for it.” It was really disappointing, particularly because the other Harney and Sons teas I’ve been trying have been anywhere from solid to oh my gosh amazing. This is the first real miss.

It smells great, though. If it tasted like it smells, I probably would have loved it.

After reading the reviews I was prepared to toss the cup after the first couple sips, but it’s actually not bad at all. Full disclosure: freshly brewed, I think it smells like fresh cat urine. But if you can get past that… it’s alright.

Opened my sample packet and sniffed. Decided I would like to wear it dabbed behind my ears but perhaps not drink it quite yet. Resealed packet.

(Later) Tried cold-brewing and ended up with a pretty little wet silk bag of flowers and linden leaves in room-temp water. Decided to nuke it for 4 minutes, bag-in, in the microwave.

Result: pale, pretty blonde flowery liquid. As it continues to brew, the flowery scent yields to… something not as pleasant. Removed the bag.

Attempted to strain bag over cup since it was pretty soggy, using tried-and-true bag-in-spoon, string-wrapped-around technique. String separated from bag, causing bag to splash into mug and part of tea infusion to splash OUT of mug.

This stuff had better be damn good.

Now sipping it plain… Nope. No discernible flavor. Well, maybe a little. Probably a few drops of honey would bring it out a bit. But I think I’d rather have a plain jasmine-scented cup than this. I bought a sample bag and I won’t be buying more.

Well….
Hmmm….
Ummm…

I received this one as a free sample in my recent Harney order. They actually gave me two free samples, both this tea. The description of the tea on the package doesn’t sound too bad. This was the usual Harney sachet.

The dry tea looks like crushed up chammomile. So I brewed it up. The tea smells like frozen fish sticks. No jokes. It is very pu’erh, fishy. Also very deeply woody. But unfortunately like the old rotting wood and pine needles that have been laying on a forest floor for a few years. The kind when you step on it, you kind of sink in a bit.

Before I tasted it, I added some honey, lots of honey. I don’t usually add honey to my tea but I just couldn’t stomach the smell of the brewed tea.

To be honest, it is a bit hard to tell the taste. I also just ate a piece of pickled garlic because I am getting a sinus infection. Garlic works wonders for my immune system. I also love garlic. Mmmmm.

Ok back to the tea. Even though I have garlic lingering on my palate, I am getting a very woodsy type taste. More like cedar mixed with pine. There is a tingling feeling that I sometimes get with mint but there is no mint flavour. Even though I put about a TBSP of honey in the tea, it is only minimally sweet. This tea is very reminiscent of chamomile and chrysanthemum teas. Neither of which are even close to being on my “meh” tea list.

I think this is a good herbal tea, its not fruity, not spicey, definitely different. But I am not liking different tonight.

Anna

Tilleul? That’s linden! Tree tea? Urgh.

Lala

Tree tea! Ha ha, that is awesome. It is supposed to be a blend of linden tree flowers and leaves (according to the description anyway).

Anna

Ugh, just EW, why? Why would I want to drink a LINDEN?! Squirrelbrew!!!

Also, mmm, garlic. I cannot get enough of it.

OMGsrsly

It’s supposed to be really good for you! Kinda like.. why would any one drink stinging nettles? But I do, and I actually have come to really like the flavour.

Anna

I love nettles. So tasty, so versatile.

Linden flower tea usually has a very delicate flavor, so I knew not to expect anything bold. While I like other teas from Harney (including their herbal Yellow and Blue, which is wonderful), Tilleul is disappointing. Good linden flower teas, delicate as they are, have a slight, naturally honeyed taste. I didn’t find it here; I didn’t find much flavor or scent. I used a lot of the dried tea and brewed several times, but that was the impression every time.

This is an odd one. It’s very very VERY light, for one, but it does have a flavor. Harney & Sons describes it as woodsy, and that’s actually pretty accurate, it’s delicately floral and peppery, not hot, but peppery in a green, leafy kind of way, and almost savory/herbal, like oregano or something. It has an unusual aroma too, a bit like dried orange flowers. Some might find it tastes “perfumey” but that’s not something I mind. I wish it was a little stronger though.

I’d really like to try the tisanes made from pure linden flowers to compare, since this includes leaves as well, in my sample packet there were a lot more leaves than flowers. They actually look really pretty, the leaves are so delicate you can see through them, they weren’t crushed beyond recognition either.

Also, this stuff is really soothing, it’s like chamomile or something. Bonus points for that in my book.

I didn’t have high hopes for this tea and it didn’t fail to meet my expectations. The aroma is reminiscent of…a clean, sweaty body, the color is amber and the taste, oh God, the taste. It tastes just like hot water with perhaps the slightest nuance of orange. Thank heaven this was a sample because I definitely will not ever buy this.

I tried it a couple of times and I wanted to like it, but once I was able to get a discernible flavor I discovered that I didn’t like the taste of it at all. I ended up giving this tea to a friend who apparently loves the fragrance.