Herbal Tea
Floral, Flowers, Salt
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I got this as a sample from Harney & Sons. I think this Tilleul must be an acquired taste or something. I was looking for something to use as a nighttime bev in addition to my chamomile and...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2769 tasting notes
  • “Wow, after reading these reviews I was terrified to try this, but as I’m having trouble being the least bit tired tonight I decided to give it a go. It really reminds me of CS Original...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “This was my first experience with tilleul. I thought I would like it, but I was unimpressed. There just really wasn’t much flavor to it at all; it went beyond "delicate" to...” Read full tasting note
    peppermintplant 82 tasting notes
  • “After reading the reviews I was prepared to toss the cup after the first couple sips, but it’s actually not bad at all. Full disclosure: freshly brewed, I think it smells like fresh cat...” Read full tasting note
    Starfish 96 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

From the picturesque village of Carpentras in Provence, France comes Tilleul, a light and lively blend of the linden tree’s fragrant flowers and leaves. The naturally caffeine-free herbal is prized for its subtle floral quality as well as its mild digestive and sleep benefits. The flowers and tender leaves produce a light, woodsy brew, as beautiful as its taste, in a mingling of forest-like green and yellow that’s all part of the charm. Now available in a box of 20ct Wrapped Sachets, and also with mint in a box of 20ct Wrapped Sachets.

About Harney & Sons View company

I got this as a sample from Harney & Sons. I think this Tilleul must be an acquired taste or something. I was looking for something to use as a nighttime bev in addition to my chamomile and verbena. This smells like a chlorinated swimming pool and tastes bitter to me. I am not one to sweeten any tea but I needed some sugar to help it along.

Recently I read this is a very popular cold remedy in Europe. I dunno… For sure not a favorite but I doubt this has anything to do with Harney. More likely it’s the nature of the beast.

307tea

I actually bought a box based on the description and had the same negative reaction. Not what I expected or desired. I just forgot about it until I realized I ran out of my chamomile tea during my latest flu/cold. Desperate I made a cup and let me tell you this tea is fabulous. Maybe with my lessened olfactory senses it tastes different, but for sure it is great. It is creamier than chamomile and more satisfying than lemon. and being sick, it really relieved some of my discomfort. I will not be without it during a cold season.

Wow, after reading these reviews I was terrified to try this, but as I’m having trouble being the least bit tired tonight I decided to give it a go. It really reminds me of CS Original Sleepytime but without the slight mint. With a bit of sweetener it isn’t that bad and if it helps me get to sleep sooner rather than later I’ll probably throw this or the mint version in the cart next time I order from Harney.

mpierce87

Actually, the more I drink this – its alright, but I’ll probably just stick with my bagged CS Sleepytime Vanilla that is so easy to come by.

mpierce87

Plus, I’m still not the least bit tired… :(

This was my first experience with tilleul. I thought I would like it, but I was unimpressed. There just really wasn’t much flavor to it at all; it went beyond “delicate” to “boiled water with a very slight aftertaste if you hunt for it.” It was really disappointing, particularly because the other Harney and Sons teas I’ve been trying have been anywhere from solid to oh my gosh amazing. This is the first real miss.

It smells great, though. If it tasted like it smells, I probably would have loved it.

After reading the reviews I was prepared to toss the cup after the first couple sips, but it’s actually not bad at all. Full disclosure: freshly brewed, I think it smells like fresh cat urine. But if you can get past that… it’s alright.

Opened my sample packet and sniffed. Decided I would like to wear it dabbed behind my ears but perhaps not drink it quite yet. Resealed packet.

(Later) Tried cold-brewing and ended up with a pretty little wet silk bag of flowers and linden leaves in room-temp water. Decided to nuke it for 4 minutes, bag-in, in the microwave.

Result: pale, pretty blonde flowery liquid. As it continues to brew, the flowery scent yields to… something not as pleasant. Removed the bag.

Attempted to strain bag over cup since it was pretty soggy, using tried-and-true bag-in-spoon, string-wrapped-around technique. String separated from bag, causing bag to splash into mug and part of tea infusion to splash OUT of mug.

This stuff had better be damn good.

Now sipping it plain… Nope. No discernible flavor. Well, maybe a little. Probably a few drops of honey would bring it out a bit. But I think I’d rather have a plain jasmine-scented cup than this. I bought a sample bag and I won’t be buying more.

I did not expect to like this tea. I just ordered a bunch of tea from Harney and Sons and they were nice enough to send me some sampled. This particular sample was lovely, like a rooftop flower garden in Paris in the spring, if that’s even a thing. If I had to describe the taste, I would have to say flowers. No flower in particular, just a nice round floral. Absolutely delightful.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Salt

I’m uh. Glad I didn’t read the reviews before drinking this or I probably would have been scared off.

I actually really like it.

It tastes like honeysuckle with extra honey. Very delicate, sweet and floral.

I didn’t get any of the weird smell either. To me, it smells a bit like a less potent chamomile.

Probably better suited for a before-bed affair, but it’s working as a soft cup to relax into this afternoon as well.

I’m glad I didn’t look at the other ratings before I tried this! I might have been scared off. I actually liked it a bit. Not my favorite of all time, but the flavor was interesting and with a bit of sugar it was nice. However, I have very little sense of smell and couldn’t really smell the tea at all, so maybe that helped!

Harney & Sons slipped a sample sachet of this in with my Boston and Soho tins. Hmm, linden leaves? I’ve heard of linden trees but never seen one. There’s some kind of little pellet stuff in the sachet but I can’t get a good look because of the material.

Dry, the sachet smells a bit like dates and a bit like fresh hay, very sweet.
Steeped — eww. Unfortunately, it tastes just like that terrible Essiac tea my mom forced me to drink as a kid, with the same weird fish notes to boot.

Unless this stuff has some kind of crazy healing power, I don’t really see why anyone would drink it. It seems especially out of place in the H&S collection; I always think of them as purveyors of the fun teas.

Nightshifter

Eww- I can’t deal with fish notes, lol.

Tamarindel

Yeah, this is definitely one to steer clear of.

So, when I said that whoever packs the free samples for Harney orders must have an evil sense of humor…

Last time, I got two sachets of Hot Cinnamon Spice, when my order was a sampler that already included Hot Cinnamon Spice. This time, I got both Tilleul and Mint Tilleul. I’m sure there’s someone out there who appreciates a double dose of this herb, but I haven’t met them yet. The aroma is something that takes getting used to, and personally I don’t find it very appealing. The taste is comparatively inoffensive, and mildly woodsy. An interesting one to try, but probably only once.