Elyse's Blend

Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “This afternoon was a Queen Catherine kind of afternoon, but I'm out of the Queen! So, what to do but invite the Queen's friend, Elyse, over for tea to help me regain my strength, sanity, and good...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “Another add on to my Millerton Shop order.....I was intrigued by the honey flavoring in Tower of London (yes, I got a half pound of it!), so I thought I had better try this one. The smell of...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “Not my favorite; the honey flavor is awfully strong and can turn on you, but I've learned the work-around for this one. Light touch on time, temp, and measurement. ” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1717 tasting notes
  • “When I read what was in this blend, I thought it might be perfect for cold brew, especially since the assam in it is sometimes a little too assertive for me. This is soooo good. Just went to...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1825 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A delicious tea named for the two Elyses in the Harney family. Tippy Assam and Kenyan teas are blended with smooth Kenilworth Ceylon, then slightly sweetened with honey flavors.

About Harney & Sons View company

Sipdown of the morning. I will not be sad to see this one go. I had it with a dash of whole milk and it makes the somewhat artificial (to me) honey notes more subtle. Really more like bee pollen and powdered honey maybe. The base of this tea seems pleasant enough, but I just can’t get past the flavouring or whatever additives are in this. There are a number of other H & S teas that I enjoy more so I will just need to focus on them for my next order. Goodbye Elyse’s Blend!

In other news, sorry I haven’t been around as much as usual. Been busy with work and preparing for our upcoming ski trip. Woo hoo! :)

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
OMGsrsly

Have fun on your trip!

Nightshifter

Thank you! :)

It does have a polleny smell when dry. The smell when steeped reminds me somewhat of these honey cookies I make – like cooked honey. The tea base seems to be very light and inoffensive. Smooth. I thought the honey tasted a bit odd. I do sometimes have honey in my tea but it’s usually when I’ve oversteeped it so maybe I just don’t know what to expect. I’m glad I tried a sample, but I probably won’t order it again. Nothing in particular wrong with it, just not to my personal taste.

SimplyJenW

I had a hard time drinking this on its own so I have started blending this in with a slightly smokier tea….it is yummy!

Continuing to punch my card of H&S teas I have not tried, thanks again to SimplyJenW who made this possible. Announcement follows: Here ye, I am now an official fan of honey flavored teas. I love the blend of black tea and the taste of honey. I have not met an Assam I did not like, I think this is my first Kenyan tea, my only reference was they produce wonderful coffee. The Ceylon levels it a bit. It is very good, but I think the Tower of London still has a hold on me.

Slight malty flavor. Hints of flowery honey. Seems to be a more “delicate” black tea? No astringency. Very smooth and mellow.

I think this would be perfect as an afternoon tea time tea. Complete with scones, clotted cream and marmalade!

Mmm…delicious. Has a wonderful distinctly honey flavor to it without being obnoxious.

This tea was bitter, astringent, and very malty in a bad sort of way. I will eventually brew it again with lower temperature water and see if it improves. I won’t be buying this again in any case. I wish I hadn’t bought 4 ounces. Brewed it with boiling water, five minute steep and three tsp tea for 18 oz water.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

I’ve had this before (ordered a sample with my last Harney box…), but was very delicate with the steeping, after hearing from ifjuly that this could be a bit tricky. I liked it very much that way (steeped 4 minutes at about 185°F), but wanted to see what it was like done how Harney recommends…
Before I get there, I need to say that I love how this tea smells… it’s like no other tea I’ve tried (admittedly, I’ve got LOTS more to try…). The heady honey aroma is really my thing…
Anyway, to the ‘full throttle’ tasting… My first sip and I knew I couldn’t drink this on its own. That’s ok; I was expecting it. Wayyyyyy too strong for me. So, doing what I never do, I reached for the milk and sugar, and adding that to the cup turned it into the most comfy, interesting sweetened tea I’ve had. The astringency was toned down to exactly how I like it in a milk/sugar tea (when I drink them, which isn’t very often….).
While I wouldn’t order a full tin of this, it’s something I’d want in my cupboard for those moments, however seldom they may be, when I’m looking for a milk tea.
So, I’m rating it based on that…. it’s a finicky tea, and needs to be played around with, but when I get it where I like it, I love it. :)

Flavors: Honey

ifjuly

phew, glad you have ways to make it palatable! and it’s cool i’m not the only one who loves the aroma! so overpowering, mm. i should try your hacks!

DeliriumsFrogs

Oh, the aroma!!!
Yeah, I’m not one to usually go for the milk and sugar (which is funny, because that’s the only way I used to drink tea), but it made this cup amazing. I think I’ll just keep tacking on a sample of it whenever I have to restock my Harney. :)
Was thinking of you this morning…sent something your way (just really little, but I wanted to send you a ‘mail hello!’).
I hope your weekend is lovely!!!!!

ifjuly

it’s cool to know i’m not the only one who does that! (some of harney’s super luxe greens i could never afford a tin of, when it’s warm out i stick a sample in when i’m ordering anyway…)

that is super sweet of you to send me a hullo the good old fashioned way. :D i can’t for the life of me remember what it was we were talking about recently, some tea you thought sounded interesting, and i said i could shoot you some to try…if you think of what it was, let me know. i am due to send you some tea stuff, i reckon.

it’s so lovely having you here. i know i keep saying that but it’s ‘cause it’s true. (:

DeliriumsFrogs

You are never due to send me tea stuff…. never! I’ll owe you ‘til I’m grey as Sophia (which is actually more white—Dorothy is more grey)….Nevermind. That could be too soon; you should’ve seen my hair before I dyed it yesterday. lol

And it’s super lovely being here with you :)

This is pleasant, but not quite as much as H&S’ Tower of London, where the honey flavor is robust and inviting. This is a little quieter. Light Assam crispness to it. Nice morning cup, and I might give this sample another go sometime, but probably won’t reorder.

Light, mellow, meh.

A much subtler flavored tea than Paris or Tower of London. I found that my first brewing of this had mild honey aromas that added to the underlying tea flavor, and that the flavor of the blend was not overwhelmed by the honey scent. A second brewing yielded a note of golden raisins that was also pleasant. I tend not to like flavored teas, but this one is a winner all around. I drank it black and felt it went with most foods I decided to eat during the day. I should stress that the flavor of the underlying blend was also particularly compelling and that is probably what allows it to carry the Honey tones so well.