Vanilla Black

Smoke, Vanilla, Artificial, Powdered sugar, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Next to Lapsang Souchongs, this is my youngest daughter's favorite tea. I wanted to make a pot of tea that everyone in the house would like today. I had just made a batch of sugar cookies based on...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “I am not proud to admit this, but I grunted when I tasted this tea. Not a mmmmm or an ahhhh but an absolute grunt like a pig. It touched the primal vanilla loving animal in me (who I have just...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Six hours of sleep last night. Lets just say that it was agony to haul my carcass out of bed this morning. Rewarding myself with this lovely vanilla blend. Day two of waking up totally...” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 1054 tasting notes
  • “ Oh yeah baby, getting down with my h and s samples before busting open the tins. I still don't have a system of attack regarding how I'm going to open them-I don't want to savagely tear into...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

The natural sweetness and rich flavor makes this an irresistible delight. The aroma will take you back to winter afternoons in the kitchen baking sugar cookies with your grandmother.

About Harney & Sons View company

The vanilla flavor in this tea was not as good as Numi Vanilla Decaf; it was less intense, less vanilla-y. It tasted more artificial, like a second-rate vanilla ice cream, rather than like a premium ice cream. I’m sure that Harney and Sons uses real vanilla, so I wonder if they used less vanilla, or the tea base didn’t blend well with the vanilla. Or perhaps decaf tea works better with vanilla than regular tea, since others seem to like Harney’s decaf Vanilla Comoro.

After really liking the vanilla notes in Harney’s Wedding Tea, I decided to go all the way and get the Vanilla black. The vanilla aroma is intoxicating but it doesn’t overpower the tea. It’s still black tea and can have a bit of an ugly aftertaste if you brew too strong or too long. That being said, I am ordering more. It’s great.

It’s tough to find a decent vanilla tea, at least for me. Most of them have a flat sweetness to them, no complexity or richness, kind of like a marshmallow (blech). What I usually do with these teas is blend them with other flavored teas. I find that they round out the other flavors and this way I can still get use out of them.

I wouldn’t do that with this one, though. It’s actually pretty good! The vanilla is a little too subtle, but there’s this hint of smokiness to it which is interesting. Kind of sophisticated. It doesn’t beat my favorite vanilla (Mariage Freres Vanile des Isles), but so far it’s a solid second. Had it with milk, as I tend to do. Can’t wait to try Vanilla Comoro.

Flavors: Smoke, Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Really disappointed with this one, read the reviews before ordering and what I got wasn’t like any of the reviews.

The tea I got had very little aroma and almost no flavor with no aftertaste. Not much more to say about it.

Would probably get a better vanilla tea experience drinking some hot water with some cheap vanilla extract put into it.

Have to think they have some quality control issues, otherwise my experience really doesn’t make sense given the positive reviews here and on the H&S site.

Was hoping that this would be more flavorful since their Vanilla Comoro is amazing!
But, I am kinda disappointed with this one.
Definitely smells and tastes like vanilla, but it’s really not all that strong and full at all. So that’s a bummer. Don’t understand how they can have such a creamy and rich vanilla tea-and a DECAF one at that. But then they have this one that isn’t strong at all, and is just your basic, lame, vanilla tea. xD
So yeah…disappointed with this one! :(

Flavors: Vanilla

Nightshifter

I agree- it tastes artificial to me also compared to teas with real vanilla beans like Golden Orchid. I bought 4 oz of this so it is taking me a long while to get to a sipdown!

Ost

Oy! That sucks! Just have enough swaps to give it away in :P

So I’ve talked about how I think this doesn’t taste like vanilla. It is a nice black base, but the flavoring is too sweet, lacking vanilla complexity, and somewhat artificial. On the bright side, I’ve discovered it is much more enjoyable when cool. I’ve been sipping all day on the same pot and towards the evening I decided it wasn’t as bad as I thought, which is fortunate as I have probably 2oz left, lol. GO has absolutely ruined me for vanilla teas.

Flavors: Artificial, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The vanilla was subtle in this one. A little sugar did sweeten it. I’d like to try it again with milk added too.

Last of the sample. I can’t say this is everything I want out of a vanilla tea, but it’s in the right direction. It’s creamy, it DOES have some vanilla flavor (which seems like a given, but really, so many of them don’t), I just want it to be stronger. I don’t know, is vanilla a difficult flavor to infuse in tea? I’ve tried a few different blenders now and they all seem to find it challenging.

The search for the ultimate vanilla tea continues.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Rained all day and cold—frost advisory tonight despite the 80F sunglasses n’ crawfish weekend—had this as a remedy when R got home for afternoon tea with Orange Chocolate Chippers (here: http://atlantishome.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/orange-chocolate-chippers.html the fresh crumb is what makes them; it’s a little like a drop biscuit or scone at first, pale and piled somewhat high in jumbles, not like a flat chip cookie, plus the orange oil works well with a nice not-too-sweet chocolate without being tart or fruit juice kid-like…the only thing I’d change in the future is maybe cutting back on the number of chocolate chips—seems extravagant to me though husband thinks not, ha). Not a heady vanilla tea at all, just mellow, lets your baked goods shine as it stands back gracefully in the wings. Not exciting and I doubt I’d want it solo very often, but good when you kind of want something black, mild, sweet, and blandly comforting to go with early dessert. Doesn’t have that alcohol burn some vanilla teas do, which is a bonus.

DeliriumsFrogs

Those cookies look like they’d be perfect with that tea! (and your mention of ‘no alcohol burn’ is great, since I really hate that in vanilla teas…). Lovely.

Stephanie

We’ve got a frost advisory too…so glad I didn’t plant my seedlings! hides them in the house

ifjuly

DF, vanilla burn is THE WORST! yuck. in anything…

phew, Stephanie! sadly my neighbors spent Saturday and Sunday doing the whole front of the house. ahh.

boychik

This looks so yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I’m off to baking;)

ifjuly

i hope you like them, boychik! they are not very sweet, as a heads up. and they make a zillion, at least i thought so (though with a full family maybe that’s not a problem for you :)—next time since it’s just the two of us i’m going to split the recipe. it made 2 and a half trays, 50 small cookies for me.

TheTeaFairy

OMG! You made me look at the forecast and here too…cold with snow possibly, WTF?!??

boychik

We are Cookie Monsters! I have to hide sweets fr hubby and kids;)
We made them. Soo delicious. Everybody liked them. I put some away for tomorrow ;)
Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe;)

ifjuly

TheTeaFairy, i am so sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :/

boychik, i love to hear you guys liked them! yay cookie party!

Simply an inoffensive vanilla tea. Goes down smooth, pairs well great with anything for any impromptu mixing with other teas you might wanna do. I would repurchase it again. Although, it definitely isn’t topping any ‘must have’ lists.