Vanilla Black

Vanilla, Smoke, Artificial, Powdered sugar, Sweet, Cookie, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Harney & Sons

The natural sweetness and rich flavor makes this an irresistible delight. The aroma will take you back to winter afternoons in the kitchen baking sugar cookies with your grandmother.

About Harney & Sons View company

The vanilla flavor in this tea was not as good as Numi Vanilla Decaf; it was less intense, less vanilla-y. It tasted more artificial, like a second-rate vanilla ice cream, rather than like a premium ice cream. I’m sure that Harney and Sons uses real vanilla, so I wonder if they used less vanilla, or the tea base didn’t blend well with the vanilla. Or perhaps decaf tea works better with vanilla than regular tea, since others seem to like Harney’s decaf Vanilla Comoro.

After really liking the vanilla notes in Harney’s Wedding Tea, I decided to go all the way and get the Vanilla black. The vanilla aroma is intoxicating but it doesn’t overpower the tea. It’s still black tea and can have a bit of an ugly aftertaste if you brew too strong or too long. That being said, I am ordering more. It’s great.

I actually like this tea without any honey or sugar added. When I added honey it was almost too sweet, but on the second steep without any sugar, it was perfect. Love it. I bought a sample but I think I’ll be buying more of this in the future.

Flavors: Vanilla

5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

It’s tough to find a decent vanilla tea, at least for me. Most of them have a flat sweetness to them, no complexity or richness, kind of like a marshmallow (blech). What I usually do with these teas is blend them with other flavored teas. I find that they round out the other flavors and this way I can still get use out of them.

I wouldn’t do that with this one, though. It’s actually pretty good! The vanilla is a little too subtle, but there’s this hint of smokiness to it which is interesting. Kind of sophisticated. It doesn’t beat my favorite vanilla (Mariage Freres Vanile des Isles), but so far it’s a solid second. Had it with milk, as I tend to do. Can’t wait to try Vanilla Comoro.

Flavors: Smoke, Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Really disappointed with this one, read the reviews before ordering and what I got wasn’t like any of the reviews.

The tea I got had very little aroma and almost no flavor with no aftertaste. Not much more to say about it.

Would probably get a better vanilla tea experience drinking some hot water with some cheap vanilla extract put into it.

Have to think they have some quality control issues, otherwise my experience really doesn’t make sense given the positive reviews here and on the H&S site.

Was hoping that this would be more flavorful since their Vanilla Comoro is amazing!
But, I am kinda disappointed with this one.
Definitely smells and tastes like vanilla, but it’s really not all that strong and full at all. So that’s a bummer. Don’t understand how they can have such a creamy and rich vanilla tea-and a DECAF one at that. But then they have this one that isn’t strong at all, and is just your basic, lame, vanilla tea. xD
So yeah…disappointed with this one! :(

Flavors: Vanilla

Nightshifter

I agree- it tastes artificial to me also compared to teas with real vanilla beans like Golden Orchid. I bought 4 oz of this so it is taking me a long while to get to a sipdown!

Ost

Oy! That sucks! Just have enough swaps to give it away in :P

Sipdown.. finally! I know this goes against the general opinion of this tea, but I just don’t find it to be anything to write home about. Honestly, I was disappointed when I first tried this and still even now because I am a lover of all things vanilla and this doesn’t fit the bill. Although the description says vanilla in aroma and taste, it is absolutely not authentic. Not Tahitian, not Madagascar/Bourbon, and not Mexican vanilla either. I would say after slowly working through 4oz, that the closest I can come to is a sugar cookie type blend with some artificial vanilla flavoring.For what it is worth, my husband actually likes this, but he is not all about the vanilla like I am. He just likes having a sugar-sweet black for breakfast sometimes. Sadly, there are few teas I’ve tried that actually taste vanilla, but GO is my current go-to. Significantly more pricey ($12.50/oz) than the H&S vanilla ($1.75/oz), but actually utilizes real vanilla beans. I can’t afford to drink GO daily like I could with this one, but it makes for a very fulfilling treat when I need my vanilla fix.

Flavors: Artificial, Cookie, Sugar, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Nightshifter

I don’t know why information above is duplicated. It isn’t on my submission page or edit page. I posted in the bug thread about it- sorry!

Dustin

I’m with ya on this one. It underwhelms me as well.

Tealizzy

Have you tried Tippy’s Not So Vanilla yet? Very much a Madagascar vanilla bean tea!

Shae

What is the difference between this and the Vanilla Comoro? They sound very similar, if not the same, to me. I like that one a lot, but also get cookie more than vanilla.

Nightshifter

I haven’t tried Tippy’s- when I looked before there weren’t very many reviews, but I’m glad to hear it is good! I will be checking it out again today. :)

I think the difference between Vanilla Black and Vanilla Comoro is that the latter is decaf. I personally don’t have any interest in trying it after finding Vanilla Black unsatisfactory. Maybe they will reformulate it at some point to make it more vanilla and less cookie/artificial. I wouldn’t mind if the price went up some, I just love good vanilla and their base is no problem, just the flavoring.

ashmanra

To me, Vanilla Comoro has more intense caramel flavor. Since it is their decaf Ceylon base, which has nice flavor and isn’t too weak like some decaf, I think they added a little extra “oomph” to make up for it being decaf. That said, there is a huge difference to me between the sachets and the loose leaf, the loose leaf being full of bits of vanilla bean seeds and specks. Loose is much more flavorful in Vanilla Comoro. Sachets were just okay by comparison.

Nightshifter

Interesting! Is there an ingredient list on the tin or anything? I can’t find it on their website for Vanilla Comoro, but Vanilla Black positively didn’t have any vanilla bean parts- just flavoring agents added to the loose leaf.

Shae

I had completely forgotten about the Vanilla Comoro being decaf. That’s definitely a difference! I do enjoy it, but you’re probably right in that if you don’t like this one you likely won’t like the Vanilla Comoro either. You said that GO is your go-to vanilla tea – which company is this? I’m not familiar and now I’m curious. I have the Tippy’s Not So Vanilla on my list, but I would be curious to check into that one as well.

Nightshifter

GO= Golden Orchid from Whispering Pines tea. It is the best vanilla black I’ve had so far (and I’ve been on a quest for a few years now). I have to try Tippy’s also now, though. :)

Shae

Oh! Gotcha. That one’s on my list too. :)

The vanilla was subtle in this one. A little sugar did sweeten it. I’d like to try it again with milk added too.

Last of the sample. I can’t say this is everything I want out of a vanilla tea, but it’s in the right direction. It’s creamy, it DOES have some vanilla flavor (which seems like a given, but really, so many of them don’t), I just want it to be stronger. I don’t know, is vanilla a difficult flavor to infuse in tea? I’ve tried a few different blenders now and they all seem to find it challenging.

The search for the ultimate vanilla tea continues.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Rained all day and cold—frost advisory tonight despite the 80F sunglasses n’ crawfish weekend—had this as a remedy when R got home for afternoon tea with Orange Chocolate Chippers (here: http://atlantishome.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/orange-chocolate-chippers.html the fresh crumb is what makes them; it’s a little like a drop biscuit or scone at first, pale and piled somewhat high in jumbles, not like a flat chip cookie, plus the orange oil works well with a nice not-too-sweet chocolate without being tart or fruit juice kid-like…the only thing I’d change in the future is maybe cutting back on the number of chocolate chips—seems extravagant to me though husband thinks not, ha). Not a heady vanilla tea at all, just mellow, lets your baked goods shine as it stands back gracefully in the wings. Not exciting and I doubt I’d want it solo very often, but good when you kind of want something black, mild, sweet, and blandly comforting to go with early dessert. Doesn’t have that alcohol burn some vanilla teas do, which is a bonus.

DeliriumsFrogs

Those cookies look like they’d be perfect with that tea! (and your mention of ‘no alcohol burn’ is great, since I really hate that in vanilla teas…). Lovely.

Stephanie

We’ve got a frost advisory too…so glad I didn’t plant my seedlings! hides them in the house

ifjuly

DF, vanilla burn is THE WORST! yuck. in anything…

phew, Stephanie! sadly my neighbors spent Saturday and Sunday doing the whole front of the house. ahh.

boychik

This looks so yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I’m off to baking;)

ifjuly

i hope you like them, boychik! they are not very sweet, as a heads up. and they make a zillion, at least i thought so (though with a full family maybe that’s not a problem for you :)—next time since it’s just the two of us i’m going to split the recipe. it made 2 and a half trays, 50 small cookies for me.

TheTeaFairy

OMG! You made me look at the forecast and here too…cold with snow possibly, WTF?!??

boychik

We are Cookie Monsters! I have to hide sweets fr hubby and kids;)
We made them. Soo delicious. Everybody liked them. I put some away for tomorrow ;)
Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe;)

ifjuly

TheTeaFairy, i am so sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :/

boychik, i love to hear you guys liked them! yay cookie party!