Valentine's Blend

Black Teas, Chocolate Flavor, Rose Petals
Chocolate, Rose
Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “So I wish i could do a comparison of this one and florence side by side, but since i only have this tea with me here - too bad so sad. This is a really nicely done chocolate tea. I have a tagalong...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5049 tasting notes
  • “My tea of the afternoon. There is a new chocolate tea in my cupboard, and it will have a permanent place as long as chocolate tea appeals. I knew that Harney's Chocolate Tea was good, because I...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “Mmmm...this was the perfect choice to wrap up my first week of school this year! Everything has been great this week, but I haven't had much tea and the tea I've had hasn't been logged. This is a...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “I tried a slightly longer steep today (though I didnt keep very good track of just how long, I'm afraid), and it has coaxed out some very noticable coco flavor. ” Read full tasting note
    Rosehips 948 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our Valentine’s Tea blend is a romantic brew joining chocolate tea and rosebuds. In a red tin with our distinctive Valentine’s Blend label, this tea is a perfect gift for that special someone.

About Harney & Sons View company

So I wish i could do a comparison of this one and florence side by side, but since i only have this tea with me here – too bad so sad. This is a really nicely done chocolate tea. I have a tagalong thingy with me from winning the H&S contest on FB. I figured the sachets might do well for the travelling thing. In any case..starting to fade. Good night all…

P.S What i learned in china today. never let two men order your dinner…you’ll end up with too much food that’s nearly entirely meat. Also…deep friend whole fish? Not my thing even if it tasted good…they kept staring at me, with their mouths agape…yep. not for me lol

Ellyn

What other interesting food have you been able to try?

Marcel Duchamp

In Japan, I had gone to a fire & water festival and it was 100 degrees and they were waving around fried Octopus on a stick. haha. I looking forward to green tea ice cream, not octopus. ha.

Ellen – I have at least one new thing for every meal. So it’s pretty all over the place. Th other night it was a traditional fire pot meal….lunch was traditional yunnan soup…I’ve had breaded crispy banana thingy….beijings local alcohol etc… The food that they’ve been taking me to has all been at these little local dives. So nothing “touristy” just good food in these hole in the wall places. It’s been pretty fantastic :)

I pretty much told them, go where you want to eat, don’t worry about me – ill find something, or if its a typical style restaurant, ill just eat whatever’s on the table since its an order 15 things and everyone eats it all kinda thing. It’s also forcing me to just go for it, since I used to be a really picky eater. I’m actually proud of myself for trying the fish since every bit of me was like NOOoOoOoOoOooOooOoOoOoOoO…don’t do it! But I did lol

Nicole

I have been getting braver lately with what I’ll try, too. I’m finding things that I never liked when I was younger that I really like now. I hope I can stay brave for my next trip. :) I love that you are eating in little local places. My husband always wants to eat where the locals eat, too. :)

Nicole – it’s hard but i’m forcing myself and to be honest, there isn’t a single thing i’ve eaten yet that wasn’t tasty :) So it’s working out so far haha I’ll have pics when i get back. When i was growing up it was chicken and rice or beef and mashed potatoes. that was it. and cheese pizza. haha i’m glad i’ve moved beyond that lol

Ellyn

It sounds so exciting to try all new things – even when you have to push outside your comfort zone. It is so neat to hear about all of your (small, in between work) travel adventures!

well i’m glad someone’s enjoying my misadventures. just wish there was time for more…

My tea of the afternoon.

There is a new chocolate tea in my cupboard, and it will have a permanent place as long as chocolate tea appeals. I knew that Harney’s Chocolate Tea was good, because I got a sample of it long ago from Fairyfli. I consumed that sample in record time. When it came time to replace some of my chocolate teas, it was definitely on my list, but I decided the addition of roses would be right up my alley. I am definitely not disappointed. The chocolate flavor and rich tea base is very much like I remember in the Chocolate Tea, but the addition of the roses gives a slight sweetness and light floral note. Tastes like chocolate, tea, and lightly of roses all at once. Perfection.

It is also working wonders….it kept me out of the ice cream for the afternoon! And my sweet tooth is sated.

24 oz pot, 4 1/2actual teaspoons of tea, freshly boiled water, 4 minutes.

ashmanra

Hmmmm, I have chocolate tea and Rose Scented. I wonder how the two mixed together would taste! I have never tried this one but it does seem to get good reviews.

SimplyJenW

It is always worth a try. I would go with mostly Chocolate Tea. Maybe 3:1?

ashmanra

That was my thought as well!

Mmmm…this was the perfect choice to wrap up my first week of school this year! Everything has been great this week, but I haven’t had much tea and the tea I’ve had hasn’t been logged. This is a great start to a tea-filled weekend – rich chocolate and black tea with a hint of rose on the finish!

I tried a slightly longer steep today (though I didnt keep very good track of just how long, I’m afraid), and it has coaxed out some very noticable coco flavor.

1989 tasting notes

Geez, Steepster is slow for me this morning. I was really not sure if the page was ever going to load. Anyway, I decided to have this “seasonal” tea this morning to hopefully wake me up and energize me a bit. I bought a couple of ounces of this tea a while ago but I haven’t had any of it too recently. This is a pretty tasty chocolate tea, but it’s not nearly rosey enough for me. I mean, I pretty much don’t taste it at all. I’m thinking I might have to start throwing in some rose scented black to amp up the rose and bring it to a level I want. In the end I probably won’t rebuy this one again, but I don’t think I’ll have much problem finishing it up anyway.

Ian

I agree totally with the not rosey enough-I LOVE floral and rosey teas and I had a cup and it’s not nearly as rosey as I would like. Also, steepster has been going slow for the past two days now for me…. I don’t know if they’re working on updates or if it’s just glitchy, but it is quite annoying

Dinosara

I have a feeling it’s just one of those slow times… definitely annoying.

TeaBrat

it’s often slow for me!

ashmanra

Oh wow, what a great idea! I can combine their chocolate tea with Rose Scented Black! I have both and have wanted this blend but haven’t gotten around to buying it.

Dinosara

ashmanra: that would probably be the way to go! I feel like the valentines blend just tastes like chocolate anyway.

Enjoying this cup. I am breaking my rule though of no caffiene after 4pm…hopefully I will sleep tonight! I am so tired though, I needed a little pick me up. I am actually liking this one better than the first time I had it. Bumping up the rating.

Thank you to Sil for this sample!!

For a chocolate tea, this isn’t bad. Verrrrry astringent and light though.
I think it’s supposed to be a darker chocolate. Sorry that’s about all I can remember as I was running around getting ready for the day while sipping away.

Looks like I won’t have much time for tea drinking this week. I’m helping an old professor of mine mark exam papers and organize her stuffs, and she is anti tea/coffee! So I’ll be able to squeeze in a morning cuppa, maybe one throughout the day, and possibly an evening herbal. Forget about logging it on Steepster, as I don’t get cell reception at the office.
Ahh well, it will be fun. My prof always dotes on her assistants so I’ll be eating lots of chocolate and mall food (uni is attached to the Eaton Centre).
And now I must go to bed. So tired and depressed after reading about the bombings :(
Makes me feel guilty for being annoyed at my shopping excursion to Home Sense today, when I got excited to see an (advertised) cast iron pot for $20! only to look inside and see that it was glazed?! I was confused… I thought the whole point was that they aren’t????
Here I am whining about glazing when there are people suffering so terribly out there.
Sending out peaceful and healing thoughts to those affected by the tragedy…

Kittenna

Did you brew it in 12 oz. water? I did, for 2.5 mins, and it was amazing. Apparently Harney sachets are not for 8oz – I made that mistake with a tea a couple weeks ago.

I was going to ask that. Heh cause I love this blend

Indigobloom

ahhh, yeah I used my normal mug! :/

ashmanra

I think most cast iron is glazed nowadays to prevent rust inside. I know mine is, from Teavana, but I love it!

Fjellrev

Wow, $20 for a cast iron pot. Good deal.

Indigobloom

Ashmanra, I’ve heard that! but I’ve been told it affects the curing/taste. Not sure if that is myth or truth? Wish I knew!

Incendiare, right?!? now I wish I’d taken it…

thanks Dinosara for sending some of this! I was hoping this was one of Harney’s smoother black teas, since sometimes they can be astringent, and this one smooth! Very smooth after a four minute steep. A nice chocolate flavor! Kind of like a milky, creamy hot chocolate. There are rose petals in the blend, but not too much flavor from them. I want to try mixing a bit of this with Harney’s Vanilla Comoro decaf sometime! It will make it half decaf, right? Chocolate vanilla! I’m picturing one of those chocolate/vanilla swirl ice cream cones (though I prefer the orange/vanilla.)

Sipdown! 865.

Still chocolatey and fruity, but I think I may have messed up the tea:water ratio, as it was a touch weak. Oh well, still enjoyable, as was the re-steep. (The remnants of the first cup are still sitting on my nighttable… I sniffed them and it smells tasty, but I’m not going to drink tea that’s been sitting for 3-4 days! Overnight, sure.

Hello Steepster!

I’ve been gone a while. Remember how I mentioned a while ago I was trying to sell my house? Well, things FINALLY heated up, and now we should be leaving our current place and getting into a new place mid-March.

And it’s all kept me a little busy. I’ve been drinking tea, but nothing I haven’t had before, or that inspired me to log it.

But I should log this one. Bought this for my hubby for Valentine’s day. He’s a big chocolate fan, and I love roses. He was happy. I was fairly meh.

The chocolate in here is lovely. It’s got a good, rich base to it. But I can hardly taste the roses. I was hoping for a more floral OOMPH from this tea.

If I readjust my mind and tell myself it’s just a chocolate tea, then I like it better. But whenever I remember it’s supposed to be roses and chocolate? Sigh.

Jillian

Congrats on selling your house – I’ve heard that winter is usually a slow time for the real estate market.