Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Thanks to *Russel* at Harney & Sons for sending me this freebie sample to try! I got it today in the mail and immediately wanted to try it. It's just what I was in the mood for today. I was...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2170 tasting notes
  • “HOLY Spinach Leaves BATMAN! So...I'm trying this one for the first time and there are 'regular' looking "Shan-Type Leaves" all balled up and ready to be infused...ok...cool...I said to my self. ...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Oh my, I thought I had logged this one! Well I was feeling kinda like I was in a tea funk. Everything I've been making lately hasn't been tasting as good. My Rose Congou was a bit bitter and not...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 484 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Russel Allyn* for sending me some of this Oolong - it is delightful! The aroma wafting from my cup at the moment is captivating, smelling sweet with hints of fruit, flower and honey. ...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

This is one of Taiwan’s highest mountain teas. The tea plants must battle cold (sometimes even snow) and frequent mists. This makes a haunting brew with echoes of honey and cream.

About Harney & Sons View company

The tea brews a translucent pale yellow-green and has a distinctive and inviting buttery floral scent. The leaves are rolled and need space to expand so using a strainer or pyramid is recommended over the common paper type filters. I use a kettle with a temperature gauge and set it to the front of the oolong range for this tea, which is just right. The taste of this tea I describe as savory and it coats the mouth with the buttery earthy flavor characteristic of some of the high mountain oolongs. I was able to get two steeps out of my first bag with the second being slightly more intense on the earthy side. For those that like floral or earthy oolongs this is a privilege to drink, and quite a welcome departure from firm leaf varieties like wuyi cassia or da hong pao, from which I need a short break.

Not for the faint of heart with respect to price – but because the rolled leaves expand to a great degree, just a few are needed for a perfect cup. I just re-upped and ordered another batch, as some family members also took a keen liking to this tea, which we sipped in the evening as a way to relax and put the day behind us.

Wow! Talk about a good quality tea. Every leaf after steeping is whole and not ripped. This tea was quite pricey, but the delicate hands and care that have gone into processing this tea is impressive.
This nose is lightly vegetal…light greens and snow peas.
The first sip immediately coats your mouth with this velvety smooth texture and has moderate mouth-feel.
The flavor is light spinach with subtle toasted notes. Honey keeps coming to mind with the light sweetness, mainly because of the creamy texture and mouth-feel.
One of my favorite oolongs to date. Out of the oxidation spectrum for oolongs, this would fall toward the lightly/less oxidized end giving way to more vegetable notes than toasted.
I did 4 infusions and the flavor kept coming. Maybe that will level out the high price.