Fenghuang Shuixian

Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Brandice

2 Images

• “*Thank you Ashmanra for this tea sample!* One of the goals in my fathers life was to "See the Country he fought for" which meant...in July, we drove in our 1950's era Chevy from California to...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “Wow. Everything about this tea is amazing. From the peachy tastes to the spicy finishes to the roasty taste yum! I want more! Unfortunately its super expensive but (to me) so worth it! Was...” Read full tasting note
    yappychappy 106 tasting notes
  • “I love everything about this tea. So much so, that before I came here to write this review, I went online at Harney & Sons and purchased some more as I only had a sample. The scent of this tea...” Read full tasting note
    QuiltGuppy 247 tasting notes
  • “This does indeed have an intense peach flavor. Not sweet candy peach, but like smelling the skin of a fresh warm peach. There's a big fat sense of "JUICE!!" here. More intense than I was...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

A high point of Mike’s trips to China is visiting the artisans high above the city of Fenghuang. He enjoys seeing how they transform the big leaves in twists of brown with hints of russet. Even more, he loves drinking this tea with intense peach flavor and a touch of spice.

These leaves are dark brown and twisted into long thin pieces. The stone fruit aroma is of fresh peach nectar. This a medium bodied oolong. The flavors of the Milan variety of this tea are of fresh peach nectar and it almost fizzes like a Bellini.

About Harney & Sons View company

Thank you Ashmanra for this tea sample!

One of the goals in my fathers life was to “See the Country he fought for” which meant…in July, we drove in our 1950’s era Chevy from California to New York City and back. (I remember hearing talk of this desire to ‘see the Country’ from many Vet’s when they retire.)

It was HOT! AND, I had to sit next to my brother Steve who had better not cross over to my side of the car!
There wasn’t air conditioning in the car as we traveled Route 66 through Arizona (stopped at the Grand Canyon), New Mexico and the Painted Desert (explain that one to kids), down into the humid Southern States (ate buscuits and grits). We saw the KKK march down the street in Colombia, S.C. and I was afraid.

I wrote about this adventure some time ago and how my mom made balogna sandwiches for lunch along the way. We stayed in cabin style motels (which were common in those days) and I saw my share of
strange places to eat. Hamburger and hotdog joints shaped like Oranges, Trees, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Dogs and Dinosaurs.

Dad was looking for historical places. Williamsburg and George Washington’s Church, Lady Liberty, Gettysburg and the crown jewel, Washington D.C. (that was full of cool places like the Smithsonian)!

For my father, going to the tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the
Iwo Jima Memorial was his duty. Wandering through Arlington Cemetery alone for a long, long time was something I didn’t understand as a young girl. “Dad…come on!”

This was his trip of a lifetime and a dream come true.

I appreciate him now and what that meant to him.
My quiet father had a great life. He was loved and respected by everyone. He had a wonderful life for the son of the town drunk, raised in a shack. I have a lot to live up to.

Tasting:
Ashmanra sent me a lovely tea sample that I’ve held onto for the right time to try.

This is an Oolong, fragrant with the scent of peach and apricot as soon as I opened the packet.
I steeped the beautiful long wiry leaves in 175F spring water for
2 minutes after a quick rinse.

Oh the delicious ripe sweet fruit…amber peaches, freestone’s with all the honey rich juiciness. This was one of those ‘got to have it’ Oolongs!

I steeped it longer, then shorter in a Gaiwan, tasting and testing the flavor. There was a hint of spearmint in the aftertaste. Yes, going back later…it was still there…that spearmint. AND, a toastiness that I love in Autumn tea’s.

Yes, this was one Oolong that I wanted to have in my cupboard!

Thank you Ashmanra, this is a uniquely beautiful Oolong!

Invader Zim

The first thing I did when I got out was travel across country, stopping at the Grand Canyon. Although we didn’t go through the south eastern states, we went north. The Tomb and Arlington are very emotional places, I’m lucky enough to live close enough that I can make them a day trip. Thank you for sharing, and hopefully you don’t feel afraid anymore.

Bonnie

No, I don’t feel afraid anymore. I did learn to be cautious in life. It was in Cupertino, California…yes, Silicon Valley, that a cross was burned on my lawn. That’s the Valley where my house was broken in and someone tried to kill me…in a new home in the suburbs. You can never tell where something will happen. If you live in fear, the bad guys win.

TheTeaFairy

Bonnie, this is so well written, yay for Chevy on route 66! As I was reading it, I felt great respect for your dad… History on a road trip!

Invader Zim

You say you have a lot to live up to, I think you already have lived up to him. You have been through so much and came out the other side a humble tea drinking person. Bonnie, you are one of those people we look up to, that we try to live up to, to be so humble.

Bonnie

Oh dear, I’m not all that! I learn from all of you!

Yes you are :-)

Bonnie

TeaFairy, My Daughter loved your story!

Glad she did :-)

Nik

A beautiful story and, it seems, a beautiful tea. Thank you, Bonnie. =)

Wow. Everything about this tea is amazing. From the peachy tastes to the spicy finishes to the roasty taste yum! I want more! Unfortunately its super expensive but (to me) so worth it! Was definitely the highlight of my tea filled day. On 6th steep now and still going strong. Steeped (rinse) 30, 15, 30, 45…

The scent of this tea when dry reminds me so much of autumn leaves when first dropped from the trees. It’s almost a toasted scent, but not quite.

I have been having temperature issues with the Breville and discovered that it’s best to choose a lower temperature. My water boils in it at 195. Really boils.

At any rate, I steeped this one for three minutes. It’s still a lightish color. The scent is really something special. It’s like a fruity, floral aroma all wrapped up into one delicate punch. The taste is stellar. I can taste a fruitiness as in apricots, without the syrupy sweetness. Just a light, fruity addition. The floral notes are also lighter in flavor, more like lily or gardenia or cherry blossom, without being cherry. It’s difficult to pinpoint, but it is a delicate flavor, not heavier like rose that demands your senses’ attention. This is more like flirting and teasing. Each sip leaves me wanting more. The toastiness in the scent, it’s like a whisper in the taste. This is an oolong for me. Smooth, sweet, floral, divine.

Juliet Earth

seems pretty intresting, makes me want to try it

CHAroma

That’s when you know it’s a good review!

teamax

I’ll second that. As I add it to my shopping list.

QuiltGuppy

I just got H & S’s email for the October coupon (free shipping on $25.00 or more – code OCT25.)

This does indeed have an intense peach flavor. Not sweet candy peach, but like smelling the skin of a fresh warm peach. There’s a big fat sense of “JUICE!!” here. More intense than I was expecting. Quite lovely, would be nice in the afternoon or after dinner; it’s not sweet and “opaquely” flavored like a dessert tea so much as a femmy sweet, natural-world sort of unfurling evocation, yet not soft either. Hard to explain that balance but it’s pretty great. If sweet treat flavored dessert teas are like thick oil paintings this is like a haunting watercolor that, while in some ways more delicate and gradual in making an impression, ultimately reveals a luminous depth of color. To be all pretentious in my struggle to describe, ha.

The tea leaves are long, adhesive and a mix of dusty gray and gold. This smells strongly of apricot with a slight mossy note.

The leaves plump to three times their volume so save enough room for them to swim. This brews to a pale gold and still has a strong fragrance of stone fruit. The taste is clean, snappy and the fruit and floral notes hold up well. Unlike others that present themselves to be somewhat buttery, it appears this oo-longs to be more of a darjeeling.

I loved this tea! Darn you H&S, I see myself now regularly spending a small fortune with you.

ashmanra

Exciting! I have a sample of this one and I haven’t tried it yet. Oh, mercy me, what is my next order going to be like??

Paul M Tracy

Exactly. I think there will soon be an H&S Tea Mortgage Co.

This is a splendid oolong. It boasts aromas of fresh stonefruit that almost fizz like a Bellini of Champagne and peach nectar. Its body is medium full, with very little astringency and tastes of gardenia and roasted apricots.

For those that like a darker oolong, this tea will not disappoint. The leaves resemble Da Hong Pao in appearance, though somewhat lighter colored with hints of an evergreen tone, and slightly thinner. The aroma of the dry leaves is rather pleasing and I imagine they’d do just fine as a component of a potpourri. The scent is of an elegant toasted dried peach liqueur and is rather inviting.

For this tea, I use almost boiling water and steep for a good 4-5 minutes. Unlike other oolongs it takes the hotter water quite well and returns a beautiful amber colored brew that is aromatic. It is somewhat similar in appearance to Wuyi Cassia as it is from that region, but has a more robust flavor with a satisfying bite (but not astringent) if one prefers a deeper steep. The tea fills the mouth shyly with a medium body and leaves behind a soothing finish. I find I favor this tea in the autumn and winter and tend to gravitate towards the lighter Ali San or Ti Quan Yin varieties in spring and summer, though the flavor is enough to satisfy any season.

As with all teas I consume, I do not use milk or sugar, and prefer to gain my insights from the pure tea itself. This no doubt is an insightful tea.

What a lovely, roasty oolong with definite hints of peach. It’s smooth and full-bodied and the each subsequent steep is just as tasty with a subtle mellowing. Received this as a gift and between this and Harney & Son’s Li Shan, I am developing a thing for oolongs!

Flavors: Hay, Hot hay, Peach, Toasty, Vegetal

This was a recommendation from the guy behind the counter, and I am so glad I took his advice and got some of it!
Its just perfect! Right balance, smooth sensation in the mouth, low astringency, sweet taste of peach, I guess.

Flavors: Peach

Definitely a stonefruit taste, peachy and delicious! I ordered a sample of a few grams which was quite pricey ($6) but I tried this tea in Prague and was quite impressed by it (wish I’d stocked up when it was cheap). I bought two gaiwans from Harney & Sons and they really enrich the tea-drinking experience. For this tea, they retain the fragrance in the lid and I feel that drinking frequent infusions of varying strengths is much more enjoyable than a big mug that cools down quickly. A top oolong, just a notch between some of the oolongs from Republic of Tea (believe it was Formosa).